Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Pattern Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Pattern Plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 09:57 PM
mambarider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pattern Plane

I bought a ARF at a local swap meet this morning. The seller didn't know much about it. I think it is a World models Tai Ji 40. It is complete except for the fuel tank, manual, stickers, tail wheel and aileron control rods. I gave 75 bucks for it.

I have a OS 46 FX With a mac mufler I plan to put up front. The motor mount is set up for inverted, but I want to change to side mounted. Also I have JR sport ST47BB servos that are new.

So my questions are, will this engine be ok, where can I use these servos, what are the minimum servos elsewhere, what tank do I need, What did this ARF retail for?

Any other insights would be appreciated. Also I'm not looking for killer performance, decent is just fine right now.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:53 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pattern Plane

Everything you have will make a fine fine airplane. The servos you may want to upgrade on the rudder. for a low cost hi-torque sevo try the futaba s3010 about 25 bucks. The rest of the items listed will be fine.

Dennis
Old 01-20-2007, 11:33 PM
carrellh

The Tai Jai 40 is still listed on the Quantum Models web site for $219.99
http://www2.mailordercentral.com/quantummodels/

You might contact the US distributor of WM to see if you can get the manual, or at least some specifications and recommendations
http://www.airborne-models.com/index.asp
Old 01-20-2007, 11:35 PM
carrellh

You'll need a retract servo.

Since you need one more 'regular' servo for the plane, you could get a higher torque servo for the rudder.

One of our club members flew a 60 size Boxer in competition with Futaba S148s which are similar to the servos you have as far as speed and torque.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:25 AM
mambarider

Thanks for all the good information.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:37 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

use the jr 821 servo for the rudder. It's high torque digital, about 39 bucks or so. That way you stick with all JR. If the elevator seems sluggish when you fly it, switch out those servo's too. The aileron should be ok.

I take it you've flown before, have you flown a pattern type plane before? If not, take it high and practice with it until you get the idea that they are somewhat different from other planes, that they fly where you point them. They fly nice and smooth and that's good.

I would upgrade it to one of the new OS 55's to give you more vertical. Other than that, you made a pretty good deal there.

DS.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: mambarider

I bought a ARF at a local swap meet this morning. The seller didn't know much about it. I think it is a World models Tai Ji 40. It is complete except for the fuel tank, manual, stickers, tail wheel and aileron control rods. I gave 75 bucks for it.

I have a OS 46 FX With a mac mufler I plan to put up front. The motor mount is set up for inverted, but I want to change to side mounted. Also I have JR sport ST47BB servos that are new.

So my questions are, will this engine be ok, where can I use these servos, what are the minimum servos elsewhere, what tank do I need, What did this ARF retail for?

Any other insights would be appreciated. Also I'm not looking for killer performance, decent is just fine right now.
Well it looks like te only question you did not get answered was, what tank is needed. Go for a minimum 8 oz to a max 12 oz that fits in the fuse with enough room for some foam padding. Most local hobby shops don't mind if you bring the plane in and test fit a few parts. They prefer this to getting multiple returns for non-fitting parts.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:33 PM
mambarider

Thanks for all the advise. I am a club member, and will be helped with this plane when I'm ready. Right now my main plane is a sky raider II. Did I mention that I love this hobby?