Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
UPS or FedEx >

UPS or FedEx

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

UPS or FedEx

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPS or FedEx

I am waiting for my new plane to come and as you know a week can feel like a life time. One of the companies aboves didn't deliver my plane because they couldn't find my address (good thing the pizza guys can). Its now taking me a week longer then expected grrrrrrrr: o ) So which delivery companies have you had the best luck with and which would you just love to go postal on. hehehe just releasing some frustration
Old 02-04-2003, 01:42 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UPS or FedEx

Best of services, USPS; if something huge, Forward Air (if you got a hub close by).
Old 02-04-2003, 02:12 AM
My Feedback: (33)

Default UPS or FedEx

Since You are waiting for a package, it is hard to ask them to send with a certain carrier.
If sending I like USPS and FEDEX ground, I have had Buster Brown in Your area crush one package I sent. And two others to other states.
I sent a 11 pound package to Alaska on friday and was delivered on the next wed. apx$20 USPS

Dan Z
Old 02-04-2003, 02:20 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default UPS or FedEx

I always ship either USPS Priority, or Fedex. I will never ship via UPS again. Had too many bad experiences with the brown shirts. In my area, they seem to have a bad habit of just leaving stuff on your doorstep, regardless of the conditions, without ever getting a signature. I have had one package destroyed, and another lost. Dont even get me started on UPS's claims service. Even if you have your package insured, they will try every conceivable way to keep from paying you for it if they damage it or lose it. It just isnt worth it to me. I have never had a problem with USPS or Fedex either one.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:41 AM
My Feedback: (33)

Default UPS or FedEx

Lowlevldevl
Here in My area, You have to go and find FedEx ground. The mailboxxxxxx stores have only FedEx Air at most.

If You have to send UPS' aarrgg" I NOW have the agent sign the reciept with PACKAGE CONDITION GOOD and his signature. Just incase.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:57 AM
My Feedback: (-1)

Default UPS or FedEx

I agree - UPS service is almost universally poor. In my case, parts for my business were delivered to the wrong address - two streets over (same number, wrong street), they're almost unavailable during the day if you have to drive to them. Numerous times I''ve tried to reroute things and had NO luck.

I use Fedex and USPS and I think USPS beats it on price.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:17 AM

Default UPS or FedEx

I have been very fortunate. I have had good luck with all three services. The fedex guy lives in my neighborhood and both him and the ups guy put all packages on the back porch. The Mailman leaves it on the front porch but at least I get it. I did have one package damaged by UPS and After I called UPS Hobby-People had another plane out to me a few days later. Of course the claim was under $100 I hear that makes a huge difference. $100 is like the magic mark or something
Old 02-04-2003, 04:08 AM

Default Shipping

I ship with both UPS and FED-X, both have been reasonable from my experiences with FED-X coming out a little ahead of UPS.

My main thing though is that I ship 2nd day or something quick when Im getting a plane or something of value.
Most of my small stuff goes regualr ground or via the Tower economy shipper which is rather cheap.

I have not had any issues with the ground stuff recently but I do get a bit worried sometimes.

Dbow
Old 02-04-2003, 05:23 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Default UPS or FedEx

Be very careful with Fedex Ground. They're the old RPS system, which is comprised of independent contractors. What that means is that you get very uneven service. Your particular guy may be great, but the guy who's on the other end may be like mine: late, and unappologetic about how they toss the boxes.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:58 PM

Default UPS or FedEx

I'm with MikeL. UPS has been good to me. Fedex is fast, but packages have been damaged. USPS is surprisingly good, given their reputation.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:09 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default UPS or FedEx

I heard FedEx and UPS are merging to form one company called "Fed Up".

What I do is to always ship my packages to my work address. All of the delivery companies stop here on a daily basis, so they all know where the address is.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:28 PM

Default Which shippers are best?

Overall, I would have to vote for UPS. Yes, they have a problem from time-to-time, but 99% of the time it gets there and most of the time, whole. In my experience, anyway.

I like Fed-EX Air, too, but they won't leave anything at the door with no one home to sign, even with a big signed letter pasted on the front door.

USPS is just great when it works, but when it doesn't, you don't know where the item is or if you'll ever see it. I think you have to wait 4 or 6 weeks to file a claim, too.

Sent a Long antenna to Alaska via FED-EX a few years back. Fellow called me and asked why I sent him two antennas when he had only ordered one. I asked for the two model numbers and, as he looked for them he found that the carrier had cut the antenna in half and re-taped them. Probably to fit into a smaller plane.....

Never saw them back, just a check for the insurance.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:57 AM

Default UPS or FedEx

I started a thread about this a while back after my nightmare experience with FedEx. I think it was 50/50 as to who people prefered. All I can say is that I only use FedEx when I absolutely need to, and I'd rather order from somewhere else before I'd use FedEx ground again.

FedEx vs UPS thread]
Old 02-08-2003, 05:12 AM

Default UPS or FedEx

Woohoo! Finally got my package after I went to pick it up ... Other then a hole the size of a tennis ball in my package and the self service, every thing was fine ... I called them to enquire about my package,beeb leave a message, and they called back three days later after I picked it up and said that they had diliever the package already. Man did I have a good laugh. well all kidding aside I am just happy nothing inside was damage. Thanks for all the post and suggestion
Old 02-09-2003, 02:58 AM

Default Re: UPS or FedEx

I've dealt with both UPS and Fed-Ex for over 10 years through my job. My vote is for Fed-Ex Ground. Overall, Fed-Ex has a much better handle on things. Their ground service is quite a bit cheaper than UPS and generally faster. They're working the old RPS "bugs" out quickly and starting to maintain consistent service standards. They also cater to small individual shippers much better than UPS... who in reality only wants to deal with volume shippers.

Originally posted by handysmurf
So which delivery companies have you had the best luck with and which would you just love to go postal on. hehehe just releasing some frustration