Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Found my fuel leak >

Found my fuel leak

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Found my fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Found my fuel leak

I filled my tank in my NexSTAR with fuel yesterday morning to run the engine for a few minutes. I was planning to taxi it around and get the nose gear tracking straight. I noticed after fueling it that it was leaking like crazy still. When I took it to work the other day it wasn't leaking. I guess because I didn't fill the tank and the fuel level wasn't high enough to leak.
I ended up removing the tank from the a/c for a better examination. The nose area where the tank sits had about an 1/8" to 1/4" of fuel sitting in it. I cleaned that all up and hopefully that won't ruin the wood in that area. Once I had the tank out, I filled it and watched it. The metal fitting that screws to the front was leaking around the oring. I tightened that up and watched it awhile longer and that solved my problem. I have to reassemble everything later today and should be good to go.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:17 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Found my fuel leak

It's good to hear the problem is solved. Before you put the tank back in, do a pressure test. Put a clean piece of fuel line on one of the tubes. Plug the other tube with your finger and blow into the fuel line. Once there's a bit of pressure, squeeze off the fuel line and confirm it holds pressure for a few seconds.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:50 AM

I told you in the other thread to check that.[>:] Well, as long as it's fixed.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:58 AM

now start it up and taxi the hell out of it in the streets. thats what i did with my first trainer. learn good ground handling with it, especially when its heading towards you so you know exactly what to do without hesitation.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:03 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad that you found the leak. But if it had fuel puddled in the bottom of the fuselage you have another problem. That fuel will soak into the wood and cause it to soften and weaken. It can be an even bigger problem if the fuel was around the firewall as it can cause that glue joint to weaken and then fail in flight. You want to definitely clean that fuel up and get it out of the wood. You can use K2R spot remover or kitty litter to get the fuel out of the wood. After you have the fuel out of the wood you will want to paint it with some epoxy to seal it off so it won't happen again.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 01-28-2007, 10:08 AM

good point ken good point
Old 01-28-2007, 03:21 PM

Bruce, I know you told me that in the other thread...that's why I took it out and filled it with fuel so I could watch it. I could not tell with it in the plane. Thanks for telling me.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:43 PM

Did I forget to mention to add pressure? Sorry.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:21 PM

I tried pressurizing like piper_chuck suggested and it seemed okay. I installed the tank and engine back on the plane and ran it some today...It seems the leak is gone for now. I'll keep an eye on it in the future. Thanks guys.