Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Flying in Rain?  Good or Bad? >

Flying in Rain? Good or Bad?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Flying in Rain? Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying in Rain? Good or Bad?

Hi...is it ok to fly in light rain or sprinkles. I'm talking about a situation where it is overcast and there may be sprinkles off and on, not a steady rain or moderate rain.

It is like that here today, with no winds which is unusual, we usually have winds(crosswinds usually) around here, so it is nice to see light and variable winds, but there has been alight drizzle action here

Thanks,

Old 01-28-2007, 10:35 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Flying in Rain? Good or Bad?

as long as you cover your transmitter but it might be annoying to have sprinkling rain on your forehead all the time kinda like the chineese tortre method
Old 01-28-2007, 10:52 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Now that's hardcore. Just remember that on an overcast day it is much easier to lose orientation on your plane.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:53 AM

agreed with crazyryan
Old 01-28-2007, 11:07 AM

ORIGINAL: acam37
Now that's hardcore. Just remember that on an overcast day it is much easier to lose orientation on your plane.
Over the past couple of months, we’ve had two experienced pilots crash their planes due to loss of orientation against a flat gray sky.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the feeling. I got all my Rx and Tx batteries charged last night, charged my glow ignitor & starter batteries, made sure I had fuel and so on. I was going to head out at 9:00 this morning to fly but I woke up to steady rain. Talk about a let down. I guess I'll have to work on some indoor projects. Weather.com said only a "chance" of light showers.

I have flown in a light rain before that kinda took me by suprise. The sound of the drops on the monokote was kinda cool but I wouldnt recomend it. I was too nervouse I'd get a hole in the covering, short something out or load the engine up with water.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:53 PM

[color=#FF0099]Gentlemen,
Months ago, when I was still an absolute rank beginner, it drizzled all day! We sat in the FBO (our pavillion) watching the radar on my laptop. Finally, Angel, one of the jet guys took an umbrella and stood at the runway in the rain holding it over my head to keep my radio dry while I flew....wish I had a picture of that! Thank you Angel. I think the color of the plane helps to determine if you are going to "lose it" against the sky. Seems that way for me anyway. Also, it has to be a light drizzle or sprinkle....anything above that I would worry about water in the carburetor.
Bev
Old 01-28-2007, 03:46 PM

I think the loss of orientation partly is due to what you're used to as well. When growing up in Norway, we would fly in drizzle and rain all the time. If we didn't, I swear, we would be limited to 7 days of flying during the summer...

Anyway, we never had any problems with that. We would take an old jacket or fleece and cut it off approximately around the waist. Then sew that part together. Next we do the same with the arms. Cut most of them off, but leave maybe 6 in. Now we would stick the Tx in the jacket with the antenna sticking out the neck and your hands entering through the arms. Worked like a charm. Kept the Tx dry and your hands warm.

-tychoc
Old 01-28-2007, 04:07 PM

Only flew in light drizzle once. Flew in overcast a number of times.

The water isn't as dangerous as the overcast. If you don't know how high it is, and it's thick, you just might lose your plane up in it.

We had a guy do just that. The overcast wasn't obvious to us. It just looked like a heavy sky from the ground. We'd flown a couple of times and hadn't noticed it was lowering. One guy decided he'd give it a shot after we had landed and were standing around. He took off did a low lap and headed up. And vanished. One second the airplane was climbing, the next it was gone. Except for the sound. And the sound was kewl. (especially kewl since it wasn't the sound of MY airplane) It sounded like it was far away. He didn't react for a couple of seconds and then tried to loop it. Then he chopped the throttle and started praying. Out loud. At least he said, "oh lord" a number of times. It came out pretty far away and went into the corn before he got oriented.

Jeez, I miss Minnesnowta...... for at least one or two seconds every year or so......
Old 01-28-2007, 04:11 PM

BTW, I still feel that drizzle and rain flying ain't too bright. I've done it and probably would again, but.................

All my airplanes have a switch that sticks through the side of the airplane. Drizzle can be rain 100yds away. Who knows what water in a switch would do.

My club had a pattern meet awhile back and flew a couple of flights in drizzle and nobody crashed. But I have seen TXs that went bad after getting rained on. So.............
Old 01-28-2007, 04:38 PM

No one thinks standing in the middle of a field holding an electrified metal rod?? Years ago(70's) When I was flying control line, we were watching a storm miles away, but were still getting hit of the handle with jolts of static while flying.

Cheers
Old 01-28-2007, 04:41 PM

I've flown in drizzle a couple times... not to bad.. Unless you have glasses. [:@] If you do the water starts to make your vision terrible... But I'm done with that, Ive got contacts now.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:21 PM

I flew in rain showers yesterday. It's not much of a problem if you can keep the TX dry. We dodged rain storms for about 2 hrs then it set in heavy and the day was over. The plane will be fine. I have 4 external servos and no problems. (Showtime 4D-90).

I won't fly in actual rain, but scattered showers is just fine and you will have the field almost to yourself.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:31 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Years ago when I lived in the Seattle we always flew in the rain. Not much choice when you live in rain city. Snow too but you had to fly low and close to keep from getting white out.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:34 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Flying in the rain just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I have never done it, but it seems like there too many problems that the rain could cause. Plus its probably not good for balsa wood.

LT-40
Old 01-29-2007, 08:01 AM

Here in Seattle we fly in light rain. If we didn't, we would rarely get to fly. I actually prefer overcast skies to blinding sun.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:30 AM

hey great feedback, turns out that I was going to go and give it a try, figuring the field would be empty, but the winds started howling as soon as it stopped raining and of course it was a strong direct..CROSSWIND...LOL

It's always something...
Old 01-29-2007, 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

No one thinks standing in the middle of a field holding an electrified metal rod?? Years ago(70's) When I was flying control line, we were watching a storm miles away, but were still getting hit of the handle with jolts of static while flying.

Cheers
And many club fields are elevated too...

So no thanks... I've been too close to lightning strikes.