Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

engine for trainer

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

engine for trainer

Old 02-08-2003, 01:23 PM
conkster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine for trainer

i`m building a carl goldberg protege 60 size trainer. i have a asp .91 engine. is this engine too big for this plane? i thought about using a tower hobbies .74 on it . what do u guys think ? any help would be appreciated! thanks conk
Old 02-08-2003, 01:54 PM
Stratotanker
My Feedback: (3)

I think that the .91 would be a bit too much beef especially if this is your first plane, you could have balance/prop clearance problems as well. I would stay with the recommended engine size to save on headaches later! Good luck.

Chris
Old 02-08-2003, 02:01 PM
Al Stein

I agree. Call me old fashioned, but I have a certain amount of respect for the guys who design and test these planes, so when they recommend a .60 class engine, that's usually what I recommend starting with.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:16 PM
Dick Robert

Is the carl goldberg protege 60 still availble,been told that there
out of business.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:26 PM
TerrellFlyer

IF this is your first plane I would suggest the recommended engine size, if you have a couple of planes under your belt then go for it.Good luck with the asp, had one many years ago,was a pile of junk.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:31 PM
conkster

Default protege

dick , i bought it from lhs. they bought it from a person along with a few other kits & a few uncovered planes. it was nib for $60. i never built a c.g. kit, imho it`s a great kit ! i built a telemaster 66 19 years ago, i recently recovered it. i just finished a lazy bee. neither of these were as good as the cg kit terrellflyer, i only paid $20 for the asp .91 , it seem to run good on the bench. i`ll put it in a 60 uproar & see what it`ll do. i think i`ll try the $100 tower hobbies .74 what do you think of this engine? i also like the tt pro 46 w/ macs pipe in my ultrastick! maybe i`ll try the tt pro 60 or 61 which ever it is. thanks for the help conk