Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Looking for flight box and fuel tote, any recomendations

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Looking for flight box and fuel tote, any recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 10:46 PM
silvastang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for flight box and fuel tote, any recomendations

Looking for a recomendation on what brand of flight box and fuel tote to buy. Would you recommend a combo box or 2 seperate boxes?

silvastang
ama# 877145
Old 02-17-2007, 10:54 PM
rc-plane

Default RE: Looking for flight box and fuel tote, any recomendations

I would get one ciombo box. This is what I have: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPS86&P=ML. The Place were the starter is at can be removed so you could let someone barrow it or if you dont need it you could just leave it at home. It also has two drawers which is nice for all your things. I like a lot. If you had two different things, a field box and a fuel tote you would have to carry them both were your going and back. I would recomend the combo but I have never had two different boxes so I really cant tell which works best.

IMO one combo box would work better

rc-plane
Old 02-17-2007, 10:55 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Get a soft-sided tool tote from home depot. Or, do like I do and use a salesman's nylon sample bag. I have had 2 field boxes in the 14 months since I soloed, the Sig field boss and another smaller one. I can tell you that they are cumbersome and unnecessary.

I fly every day before work and I have learned to simplify. Get a self-contained starter, a charger that will work from your car battery and go fly!!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:25 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: silvastang

Looking for a recomendation on what brand of flight box and fuel tote to buy. Would you recommend a combo box or 2 seperate boxes?

silvastang
ama# 877145
I got a Goldberg Mini Tote to carry the ‘essentials’ to the flight line.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDJD6&P=0
Everything else is in a big plastic tackle box and a tool box. These stay in the truck unless something breaks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79627.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	623917  
Old 02-17-2007, 11:32 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second what rc-plane suggests - I have that one also. For the price you really can't beat it, and it'll hold most of what you need to go flying. I also have a small tool box that I use to take additional tools out to the field, and I'm converting a larger tool box to use to haul my charging batteries, Triton charger and connectors for a solar panel to keep the charging batteries topped off.

Hogflyer
Old 02-18-2007, 12:42 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: agexpert

Get a soft-sided tool tote from home depot. Or, do like I do and use a salesman's nylon sample bag. I have had 2 field boxes in the 14 months since I soloed, the Sig field boss and another smaller one. I can tell you that they are cumbersome and unnecessary.

I fly every day before work and I have learned to simplify. Get a self-contained starter, a charger that will work from your car battery and go fly!!
I think this is great advice. I use a tool bag (lots of pouches on the inside) for all of my miscellaneous tools and supplies, and I have a small starting tote that carries my fuel, battery, and starter. I don't see any advantage in a boxy conventional field box. The little drawers aren't great for actually keeping things separated, and the top compartments would never get used for my radio--it's got its own case.

The best thing to do is to assemble the equipment and supplies you'll be taking, then organize them in the way that makes the most sense to you. Some people use toolboxes, some tackle boxes, some flight boxes, some bags. It really depends on your tastes. I'm a minimalist--I don't have a power panel (more trouble than they're worth), I use a hand-crank fuel pump, and I only take what I might conceivably use. Some guys prefer to haul out a mini hobby shop.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:18 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I've been flying for the last couple of years with a standard Hobbico field box, and I've been happy with it:

The cradle comes in handy if you have a low wing plane where the wing bolts to the bottom of the fuselage. I use the cradle to attach and remove the wing from my Goldberg Tiger 2.

The drawer is nice and deep and it can hold quite a bit of handy equipment. There might be more efficient ways to haul stuff around, but this simple field tote has served me well so far.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:08 AM
Runway

Build your own:-
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_14...tm.htm#1426055
Old 02-18-2007, 08:59 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I've had a [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDJD8&P=0]Goldberg Super-Tote[/link]

for a really long time. Works fine. I prefer having the two not so deep drawers over the other ones that have one deep drawer, but that's a matter of choice.

I prefer a power panel over the self contained glow drivers. Over the years I've found that being able to adjust the output gives me better starts than I get with glow drivers. While I do have a starter, actually 3 of them, I usually leave them at home and hand start my plane engines. I use the starters primarily for boats.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:32 PM
YellowHawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished building one today...it's not as nice as some of them, but it works... I'm waiting for my power panel to show up from Tower and I'll be finished with it. It turned out pretty nice.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Dave trimmer

i would make your own, like i did. i was able to hook up a cigarette lighter so i can connect all different sorts of stuff to it. my box also has a quick charger and power panel. there is a thread called the ultimate field box from hell that is all about field boxes. you can search for, some people have done some amazing things

Name:	Eb86636.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	624417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98147.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	624418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uk77555.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	624419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch42887.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	624420  
Old 02-18-2007, 07:20 PM
D-LOCO

The small Hobbico is the way to go IMHO.

I started out with a HUGE field box that held everything including the kitchen sink. I joked that the second drawer from the top was for socks and underwear

It weighed a ton!

I then bought the small Hobbico and now I only take what I would "reasonably" need.

Much better!

Dave
AMA 847123
Old 02-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Dave trimmer

more pics

Name:	Bz78411.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	70.2 KB