Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Aluminum spinners!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Aluminum spinners!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:18 PM
-EXTRA-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum spinners!!!

I just wanted to let yall know i am now a true believer in an aluminum spinner!! i crashed my extra going 100 MPH+ spinner first into the ground and not only did it keep my motor safe it didnt even leave a scratch on the spinner BUT it did leave a nice 4 inch dent into the ground..So im wondering how many of you guys out there use aluminum spinners???? i know im gonna put them on all my planes now.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:50 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Aluminum spinners!!!

I have used that, and I like those spinners, they are much robust and sturdy as compared to plastic spinners.

Mody
Old 02-28-2007, 05:07 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

The trick to getting any spinner to last, wether it be aluminum, plastic or carbon fiber; is to avoid those spinner-first landings. A spinner, no matter what it's made of will not 'protect' your engine in a crash. A strong spinner may absorb some of the energy, but let's face it, if your engine went in at full throttle, you likely bent the shaft or worse.

I agree that aluminum spinners are better than plastic and, in most cases better than carbon, but they do not always limit damage to your plane in a crash.

I have some aluminum spinners up to 4 1/2 inches in diameter and let me tell you....crash protection ain't the reason. They are mostly just for looks...and they are very expensive to boot.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:42 PM
-EXTRA-

Ok 1 my shaft aint bent 2 they may be for looks but i like the because they protect my engine put a plastic spinner on a motor goin 100 str8 into tha ground and see if it doesnt break and 3 i had no controle over the plane the battery got disconnected and it went up then str8 back down and yes i believe that aluminum spinners will most likely protect your engines more then plastic and carbon
Old 02-28-2007, 06:20 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Whatever
Old 02-28-2007, 06:37 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Whatever is about it. A spinner does not protect your engine. If a person thinks that it does, they need to spend some time thinking about the forces involved in a crash. Aluminum spinners are for looks, and in my experience are easier to use than most plastic spinners.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Kevin1963

I may not be the smartest guy around, but it seems that a plastic spinner breaking into a zillion pieces would be absorbing and dispersing much of the force of that impact. This would lower the forces against the engine and cause less damage.

Kinda like the Nascar safer-barrier.

But, then again ... I'm not a rocket surgeon and the difference would be slight. I use an aluminum backed spinner for strength, but not for protection against that type of crash.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:27 PM
-EXTRA-

Ok Example your flying with a plastic spinner and crash down into a concrete runway the plastic spinner would destroy into a million pieces then leaving the crankshaft wide open for attack then the crankshaf hits and it bends the shafter where an aluminum spinner would hit and the aluminum if theres enough force bend the aluminum backing plant and if theres still pressure bend the spinner itself takin pressure off of the crankshaft and leaving it untouched!! so therefore yuh yall may use the for looks but i bet half the crashes yall have had with aluminum spinners its saved yalls motor's
Old 02-28-2007, 07:58 PM
JasonFalls

sorry, but spinners don't protect your engine. They are just for looks and helping to 'streamline' your plane a bit more.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:40 PM
oceansfiftyseven

Wrong. The aluminum spinner will ensure the majority of the energy transfers straight to the shaft. The energy absorbed by the plastic breaking would likely cause less damage. At 100 MPH, a crash straight into concrete it wont matter what type of spinner you use.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:46 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Take this as an opportunity to learn about applied physics, Extra.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:06 PM
rc-plane

I use them cause they look cool, but i dont think it would stop your motor from getting messed up at a 100mph crash. I am not saying that its not true, but if it was wouldnt everyone have one so if they do crash it want mess there motors up??
Old 02-28-2007, 09:19 PM
mambarider

I saw a funtana 40 go in nose first due to a defective battery. The crank broke off behind the aluminum spinner.
the spinner and prop were still intact, but disconnected from the rest of the plane. Didn't help in this instance.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:29 PM
-EXTRA-

Forget it i give up
Old 02-28-2007, 10:04 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good idea. At the very least you damaged the spinner backing plate. Unless you dove into total muck, there's not a spinner out there that would survive unscathed.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:26 PM
-EXTRA-

the backing plate is bent but no totally and yea the spinner itself is unscratched considering it hit in dirt

Edit: Ok well i jsut figured i would share some info with yall didnt want noone to get all worked up and i might be wrong just what i saw and what happen so sorry if i offended anyone in anyway
Old 02-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: -EXTRA-

Forget it i give up
Hey man, don't get frustrated. It's great thet you are out flying making observations and coming up with conclusions based on what you see. Then even better after you make your decision you come here and share your experience with your fellow modelrs. You wont always be right and others will chime in and let you know. Some of these guys have been flying longer than I have been breathing (36+ years) and the fact that they are willing to share with us commands our respect and attention.

Now for my OPINION on your situation. Yes it is posible the aluminium spinner saved your engine from damage. A aluminium spinner will be more likely to glance off of rocks and other more dense matter as your model attemts to bury it's self spinner first. However A plastic spinner will "soften" the blow by absorbing some the energy of the impact as aposed to transfering the energy directly to the crank, front bearing and engine housing. The best meathod for engine crash protection is don't crash nose first... Yes, I understand you had no control in this case; just being a S/A.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:49 PM
-EXTRA-

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: -EXTRA-

Forget it i give up
Hey man, don't get frustrated. It's great thet you are out flying making observations and coming up with conclusions based on what you see. Then even better after you make your decision you come here and share your experience with your fellow modelrs. You wont always be right and others will chime in and let you know. Some of these guys have been flying longer than I have been breathing (36+ years) and the fact that they are willing to share with us commands our respect and attention.

Now for my OPINION on your situation. Yes it is posible the aluminium spinner saved your engine from damage. A aluminium spinner will be more likely to glance off of rocks and other more dense matter as your model attemts to bury it's self spinner first. However A plastic spinner will "soften" the blow by absorbing some the energy of the impact as aposed to transfering the energy directly to the crank, front bearing and engine housing. The best meathod for engine crash protection is don't crash nose first... Yes, I understand you had no control in this case; just being a S/A.
Thanx man i appreciate that and yea im probably wrong but hey learned something new and man it hurt enough watchin my very favorite plane go down i didnt even wanna go pick up the remains but i had to i felt so bad but hey rebuild an fly again
Old 03-01-2007, 04:24 AM
checkmate91

That's the spirit! In the same way as there's no such thing as a stupid question there's no such thing as a wrong observation (probably).
Old 03-01-2007, 04:56 AM
jetmech05

seems to me no matter what spinner your using they're all attached to the crank. so in an impact the first thing that happens is the crank is forced aft. after that it's all FM.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:36 AM
rwright142

-EXTRA-,

We're all here to learn or help others learn so stay with us.

Kevin1963 was spot on when he made the NASCAR reference. If you've ever seen an Indy car crash you know what I mean. The car disintegrates to keep the driver from 'feeling' the energy. The force of the impact is transferred all over the car. In your nosecone scenario, a plastic one will disintegrate but it will cause less energy from hitting the engine whereas an aluminum one will transfer most of the energy to the engine.

You're doing a great job about asking questions here so keep it up. The way I see it you learned 2 lessons here. The first one is about nose cones and the 2nd one is about preflighting. That means checking your connections to make sure the battery won't come loose. There are a lot of other things to check too, so search for preflight checklists and make it a habit of thoroughly checking everything out before you take off.

Good Luck!
Old 03-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Pete1burn

Extra, nothing wrong with using your brain. We all come up with wrong answers at one point or another. Some people forget this is the beginner's forum.

But seriously, take this one piece of advice well to heart...

Please,

please,

start using periods.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:18 PM
bruce88123

You need to be very careful if you straighten the backing plate. If not perfect things will be out of balance. Replacement is the better option.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:01 PM
skeeter_ca

Pete,
You cracked me up on that last one. I didn't even notice.

Extra,
What other damage did your plane sustain? Will it be easily repaired?

Pete,
Noticed i punctuated correctly (I think). LOL.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:03 PM
-EXTRA-

ORIGINAL: rwright142

-EXTRA-,

We're all here to learn or help others learn so stay with us.

Kevin1963 was spot on when he made the NASCAR reference. If you've ever seen an Indy car crash you know what I mean. The car disintegrates to keep the driver from 'feeling' the energy. The force of the impact is transferred all over the car. In your nosecone scenario, a plastic one will disintegrate but it will cause less energy from hitting the engine whereas an aluminum one will transfer most of the energy to the engine.

You're doing a great job about asking questions here so keep it up. The way I see it you learned 2 lessons here. The first one is about nose cones and the 2nd one is about preflighting. That means checking your connections to make sure the battery won't come loose. There are a lot of other things to check too, so search for preflight checklists and make it a habit of thoroughly checking everything out before you take off.

Good Luck!
Well what happen was i did check everything before the first flight,i had i rough landing on that one due to deadstick and brung it down to fast but yes i did forget to check it on the second flight..I WILL NEVER MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN!!! From now on checking it on ever flight i make when the landing aint perfect,Bruce yea your right im going to go ahead and replace the spinner with a new one,Pete ill try lol sometimes i forget,Thanks Checkmate,i try not to ask questions that are just plain obvious..but ill keep reading and learning new things best i can,1 thing i have learned well when someone say's there's A hidden message in jingle bell's and turn you speaker's up im not listening to them lol,but thanks everyone for your input's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.