Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Peeing contest--let's go

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Peeing contest--let's go

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:59 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peeing contest--let's go

OK, let's have it. Let's quit hijacking other threads and debate this thing out. No flames, no personal insults, just facts and opinions, that is all.
Spektrum and JR are the same company--at the very least they fall under the same operational umbrella.
Let's hear why not.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:40 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Peeing contest--let's go

My first impulse was the deleted this thread, but it's a worthy topic to discuss. So I'm going to put out a hard fast ground rule here. Keep the discussion civil guys. No personal insults, slams, or flames. If the discussion doesn't stay civil we'll tank it in a heartbeat.

With that in mind........ have fun guys!!!

Ken
Old 03-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Dr1Driver

Spektrum and JR are the same company

Then that let's me out. I'm a Hitec/Futaba man.

Dr.1
Old 03-07-2007, 03:47 PM
bobrev06x

i'm with you driver...futaba here as well. IMO the 2.4 stuff is going to be the way to go but it's too new for me. might be some bugs to work out. besides that, big bucks to change evrything over. i fly at a small field anyway so the packed channel issue does not apply yet......"YET!"
Old 03-07-2007, 03:50 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Why repeat the same arguments?
Old 03-07-2007, 03:53 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Skektrum is not a company, it is a BRAND NAME owned by Horizon. Horizon has the exclusive US distribution rights for JR. Obviously Horizon and JR collaborate on the developement and manufacture of the Spektrum line. That all said Who Cares anymore. Corporate structures are complex and not always public information, if privately held. And if the corporate stucture is public information unless you have training or experience in the terminology most people don't know what it means anyway. This one can be debated until the cows come home and few people will change their opinions, be they informed or uninformed opinions.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:22 PM
2slow2matter

Ken,
I'm with you. Civil and without flaming.
My whole intent was this:
In another thread, a poster was hesitent to buy a spektrum because he felt like it may be sub par to companies like JR or futaba. He curently owns futaba and said that he wanted to go JR, so he would wait for another offering.
I offered my opinion, based upon several personal observations, and backed it up by lots of first hand knowledge that he should buy the spektrum if he is that comfortable with JR because they are the same radio. At that point, I began to get bombarded and the post went south in a hurray--to the point of hijacking.
So I wanted to start my own thread to debate this issue. No winners and no losers, just a good ol' debate.

Who cares? Well, that's a good question. We'll see who all contributes.
I agree with K3 as well--coorporate enterprises can be hard to figure out.

Let me make a statement that maybe all can agree with, but maybe not. Regardless of whether its a separate company or not--let's even say that it is for the sake of argument (although I still believe otherwise). If it is the same case, same software, same programming, then is it not the same radio? Is the reliability of it any different from JR?

I understand that it is new and relatively unproven technology. At first I was going to wait on it too, but I decided what the heck--I'd jump on board. It will be a long time--years--before my entire fleet is changed over. In fact, I will probably only fly one this entire summer--with the rx that came with it. This will give me a chance to put the rx into a plane and really check it out--without risking a whole lot of $$ on new rx's. In fact, it will end up costing me roughly 1000 dollars if the price doesn't come down on new rx--that is why it will be a slow process. In the meantime, however, I will sell my 72 rx and recoup some of that money, but probably only about 30%, if that.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:27 PM
MikeL

ORIGINAL: 2slow2matter
I offered my opinion, based upon several personal observations, and backed it up by lots of first hand knowledge that he should buy the spektrum if he is that comfortable with JR because they are the same radio.
The argument wasn't about whether Spektrum uses JR parts. You said they're the same company, which they aren't. "Spektrum is JR. I own both. Spektrum is JR. Repeat after me, Spektrum is JR."

No one ever tried to tell you that your DX7 isn't in a 7202 case. You drew an inference from that about the ownership of the companies, and it was pointed out to you that your inference about the ownership is incorrect.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Dr1Driver

What I'd REALLY like to know is how is the word "peeing"

pee
One entry found.

pee[2,intransitive verb]

Main Entry: 2pee
Function: intransitive verb
Inflected Form(s): peed; pee·ing
Etymology: euphemism from the initial letter of piss
Date: circa 1880
sometimes vulgar : urinate

allowed in the subject line when my use of the word "yssupcat" - one word - (yea, had to do it backwards to get it in)

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

yssupcat

SYLLABICATION: puss·y·cat
PRONUNCIATION: ps-kt
NOUN: 1. A cat. 2. Informal One who is regarded as easygoing, mild-mannered, or amiable.

in reference to the handling qualities of a certain plane be edited by a hithertofore unknown filter program? A perfectly legitimate word. Are we a little hypocritical here?

Dr.1
Old 03-07-2007, 04:41 PM
2slow2matter

Mike,
As I said above, I still believe that they are the same. They fall under the same umbrella. However, you didn't really answer my question either. if you were considering Spektrum, but wanted to wait for JR--why? If JR put out a 2.4 (which they already do), how would it be different from the spektrum? In fact, they put out a 72 mhz already that is no different.
Again, this needs to be done without being argumentative.
You have also never answered some of my other questions.
Mainly, do you own either radio? How much experience do you have FIRSTHAND with either radio.

I need others to chime in as well, so this doesn't become simply an argument between myself and MikeL. That was never the intent. There are people out there with litgitement concerns that a "new radio company" is putting out "new technology" and therefore they aren't ready to buy into the 2.4 world yet. I think this stuff needs to be discussed.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:52 PM
MikeL

ORIGINAL: 2slow2matter
As I said above, I still believe that they are the same.
From a support and distribution standpoint they are the same, as that's all handled by Horizon. JR doesn't sell, support, or repair radios sold in the US. JR is the manufacturer of JR radios, and supplies most--if not all--of the parts for Spektrum radios to a Horizon-owned Spektrum. What you and I were arguing about is who owns Spektrum--not who makes the parts. Once again, Horizon has stated that they own Spektrum. Horizon does not own JR, just as Hobbico does not own Futaba. The relationship appears to be more analogous to Hobbico's relationship with Tower Hobbies.

if you were considering Spektrum, but wanted to wait for JR--why?
Who knows why the OP wanted to wait? Perhaps to see if JR's SS implementation is compatible with Spektrums? That's not a question I can answer.

Mainly, do you own either radio? How much experience do you have FIRSTHAND with either radio.
I own neither. Now you can tell me how that is in any way relevant to understanding the business relationships between Horizon, JR, and Spektrum.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:28 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

2 slow, You are definitely right in the fact the the companys are in BED TOGETHER. This has been seen since the very first spektrum
radio which was a surface unit. used spektrum servos which except for case color and lettering were identical to JR servos.
alot of the programming and functions of the radio were also the same.

Your posts that lead people to believe that JR Propo and Spektrum are the same company is simply not true I have seen no evidence of a corporate Marriage of the 2 companys. So it is safe to say that they are 2 different companies that work together. I work on GM vehicles for a living and when the Pontiac Vibe first came out the parts on some of the major components were still tagged with
the Toyota name. Does this mean that GM and Toyota are the same company? No it just means that GM bought toyota parts
for their vehicle.

The experience I have with JR radios is limited I have owned and used many of their surface radios and a few aircraft. I have used the spektrum aircraft radio and owned a few surface units. I have however spoken to a few JR sponsored pilots and drivers who tell me that spektrum buys parts from JR and that is the extent of the relationship, I feel that hearing these statements coming from a direct source is more reliable then someone who says that I know because I own them. Please don't take offense to anything said but you do not work for JR or Spektrum, nor are you factory affiliated with either company. Nor am I, so why don't we just leave it at they are seperate companies that share parts and technology.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:44 PM
-EXTRA-

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

Dr.1
Im also a hitec/futaba guy.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:12 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a FUTABA guy, but I bought the DX-7, recognizing that it was most definitely in a 7202 JR case, and also not really giving a rat's whatever that it was. I like the features, and I like how the system operates, and I will also keep my 9C and fly my existing planes on 72MHz, but whatever else comes along will go on 2.4 GHz. As long as my planes go up when I pull back on the right stick, and go faster when I push forward on the left stick, I'll continue to use it.

What difference does it make, anyway, whether Spektrum is owned by, or built by, or just buys parts from, JR?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:29 PM
B.L.E.

What I'd REALLY like to know is how is the word "peeing"

pee
One entry found.

pee[2,intransitive verb]

Main Entry: 2pee
Function: intransitive verb
Inflected Form(s): peed; pee·ing
Etymology: euphemism from the initial letter of piss
Date: circa 1880
sometimes vulgar : urinate

allowed in the subject line when my use of the word "yssupcat" - one word - (yea, had to do it backwards to get it in)

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

yssupcat

SYLLABICATION: puss·y·cat
PRONUNCIATION: ps-kt
NOUN: 1. A cat. 2. Informal One who is regarded as easygoing, mild-mannered, or amiable.

in reference to the handling qualities of a certain plane be edited by a hithertofore unknown filter program? A perfectly legitimate word. Are we a little hypocritical here?

Dr.1

Oh, just spell it the way that that Merry Melody's cartoon canary 'Tweety Bird" pronounces it and I'll bet that bad old filter will let it through.
Ooooh, you bad ole puddycat!!!! See! It worked!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 07:48 PM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

Hmmmmm, is a Spektrum a JR and is a Lexus a Toyota or an Accura a Honda? Maybe so, but I'm afraid if the word gets out that a Spektrum is tied to JR in any way the Futaba and Hitec fans won't touch it with a 10 foot pole, no matter how good it is.
Regards,
doubledee
Old 03-07-2007, 07:53 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: B.L.E.
Oh, just spell it the way that that Merry Melody's cartoon canary 'Tweety Bird" pronounces it and I'll bet that bad old filter will let it through.
Ooooh, you bad ole puddycat!!!! See! It worked!!!
Actually, I believe it was "Puddy-tat"
Old 03-07-2007, 09:21 PM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My radio is a Frabitz. It isn't anything else, and I don't much care as long as it works and I can fly my planes. But, they are coming out with a Frabitz-2007 this Spring. Someone told me that it uses the Vista operating system, but I wouldn't believe that for a minute.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:30 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2slow - I'm not bothering to join the "discussion" because you are not listening anyway so I'm not going to waste my time. Enjoy talking to yourself on this one. Normally I respect your opinions but not here.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:12 PM
shd3920

Way-to-go, Futaba and Hitec here as well. Also Tower Hobbies (which I am told is the same as Futaba).

ORIGINAL: -EXTRA-

Dr.1
Old 03-07-2007, 10:37 PM
-EXTRA-

ORIGINAL: tigerdude426

Way-to-go, Futaba and Hitec here as well. Also Tower Hobbies (which I am told is the same as Futaba).

ORIGINAL: -EXTRA-

Dr.1
if im not mistakin futaba makes tower's radios,reciever's and servo's.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:51 AM
2slow2matter

Bruce,
Thanks, I actually do enjoy talking to myself. I spend most of my day doing it--since I teach HS physics and chemistry. (insert dry sense of humor here). But I'm curious, why is it that you cannot respect my opinion just because it will not change to match yours, or the rest of the majority? What if guys like Tesla and Newton would have changed their views? I know I'm not inventing electricity here, but we are all entitled to opinions, and we should be able to display those opinions--maybe even to the point that we feel it is fact, without others saying they disrespect us for it. Shame, shame, because I usually respect your opinions and views too.

Doubledee--exactly my point. I own a Toyota. It has, under the hood, the same engine that they put into the lexus--the very same VVT V 6 that powers a lot of Lexus cars and SUV's. Because it is under the hood of a toyota, does that make it not a lexus motor? Flip side--because the Lexus motor is under the hood of a lexus, does that make it not a toyota?

Extra--careful what you say. Saying that Tower's radios and rx's are made by futaba will get you jumped on in this forum, and (apparently) disrespected by others. I mean, why can't it be that futaba just sells the parts to the hobbico (tower) people, and someone else puts it together. But, wait a minute, would it still be futaba, even though they didn't put it together?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:26 AM
MikeL

Why do you keep attempting to confuse that which is the point of contention? For the last time, no one has claimed that JR parts are not used. You're attempting to say that using someone else's parts means that the two companies are one and the same. That just is not how the world works. You're attempting to show vertical integration where the facts simply do not support it. I would suggest that you stop trying to say that the functional arrangements between the parties eliminate the fact that there are distinct and separate parties.

Let's distill it like this: Is Spektrum owned by Horizon? Yes--more than one person in a position to know has stated this. Is Spektrum owned by JR? No--more than one person in a position to know has stated this. Is there a business relationship between Spektrum and JR? Obviously--JR supplies Spektrum with components.

It's ridiculous to say that Danny Synder and Mike McConville, amongst others, are lying about the business relationships involved here. Are you publicly calling them liars? Be very clear about this.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:27 AM
sp2pilot

Well My JR synthesized 7 channel Radio has the exact same menus and programming as my Spektrum DX7. Further more inside the thing, where I went to adjust the stick tension. My Spektrum and JR have the exact same gimbal and pivots. Exact same. If these two units were assembled in seperate factories,....Well they cloned the things.

I would bet serious coin they are assembled side by side.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:28 AM
MikeL

ORIGINAL: sp2pilot

I would bet serious coin they are assembled side by side.
They are. Nobody is saying that they don't share the same parts. What is confusing about this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.