Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Solo

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Solo

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:16 PM
AIRDEL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Solo

Let me start by saying I have a trainer that I plan to buddy box to learn the ins and outs of flying. But I have this Duraplane 20 that I have taken out a few times and managed to crash each time. (Till today)

I went out for the first time (this year) this evening and got the plane running, took off, did a couple rounds and then it died. So I was then able to bring it in deadstick and make what I consider to be a near perfect landing. The next time up was near the same exept it was out farther and I couldn't get it to the runway I brought it down soft to the field and the landing gear stuck and the plane flipped to its top.

For anyone wondering I am flying in a field with plenty of room so as not to put anyone in harms way with my inexperience.

Well I was quite excited even though it wasn't pretty? It should however be quite a confidence booster.

Del
Old 03-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Pete1burn

Default RE: First Solo

Congrats!
Old 03-18-2007, 06:54 AM
rwright142

A good deadstick landing should make you feel good. The next thing is you need to learn about engines - tuning, maintenance, troubleshooting, etc. Find out why it stops running so you build on your flying skills.

Congrats and I am glad you ere mature and professional enough to be concerned about others when you made your choice of flying areas.

I wish you many more successful flights.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:36 AM
bobrev06x

nothing quite like your first solo flight. congratulations to you on this one and many more to come. i know where you're coming from on the dead stick situation....been there and done that also. thankfully my first landings were ok...like yours. i also have a duraplane 20......this one is on floats and is just finished and ready to go. just a thought on your engine pooping out on you. try running a little more fuel to it (richer) and see what happens. it is said that when the plane takes to the air, the engine tends to lean out a bit...therefore, starting out rich results in a closer fuel mixture during flight conditions. i'm not an expert on this but i do try to run a little rich on the bench before my flights and it really does seem to work for me. no deadsticks for quite a while now since i've been using this method. again, congrats and have a ball! here's my duraplane 20
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22104.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	644474