Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

logbook?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

logbook?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 02:01 AM
Murdoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default logbook?

Is it normal to log every flight in a logbook?
I was just thinking that it is smart to do it, so you know exactly how many flights you have!
Old 03-21-2007, 04:34 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: logbook?

It might be interesting to keep a log book, but you run the risk of being able to calculate your cost per flight. This could be particularly depressing if you dump a plane on its second or third flight!

Best to not keep track of such things...
Old 03-21-2007, 05:22 AM
Murdoc

You said it, right there LOL!
Well, it kinda makes sense to me. If you get to know the cost of a total year of flying, I think you"ll get so depressed that you forget to enjoy the hobby...
Old 03-21-2007, 06:16 AM
B.L.E.

Logging your flights is an excellent idea.

Do I do it? No. I'm not sure if I really want to know my cost per flight, especially if I start keeping track of the money I put in the Coke machine and car gas tank.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:28 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

[link=http://www.lammers.ca/FlightLog/]Flight Log[/link]

I use Flight Log (availabe free from the link about) and I don't think I could stay in the hobby without it. It lets me track every flight that I make with my planes. But that's not the only reason I love it. It also lets me set up a maintenance schedule for planes/equipment. It lets me keep track the fuel I use. I can track all of my radio equipment and what plane it is installed in. I can keep an inventory of all the parts I have. This is a totally increadible program that I would gladly pay for if the author decided to charge for it, but he offers free to give back to the RC community that he is a member of.

I have printed out small 3"x5" cards that I record my flights on at the field, and when I return home I enter those flights in Flight Log. I can tell you exactly how many flights each plane I own has and how much total flight time is on each plane, as well as the engine and radio gear. For instance, my Slow Poke currenty has 408 flights on it with a total flying time of 27.65 hours!!!

Check it out

Ken
Old 03-21-2007, 06:39 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a couple of the electric guys do it to keep up with battery life,charge times. flight times..etc....Rog
Some guys thrive on that type of activity, for me , it would take ALL the fun out of it...
Old 03-21-2007, 07:19 AM
Murdoc

Rcken: Wow! Thank you for the link.
For me, it will be more fun to fly my planes when I know all the details! It may take some time to get aquainted with the program, but that"s ok
I"ll type all my planes into that program right now!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:06 PM
ag4ever

ORIGINAL: RCKen

[link=http://www.lammers.ca/FlightLog/]Flight Log[/link]

I use Flight Log (availabe free from the link about) and I don't think I could stay in the hobby without it. It lets me track every flight that I make with my planes. But that's not the only reason I love it. It also lets me set up a maintenance schedule for planes/equipment. It lets me keep track the fuel I use. I can track all of my radio equipment and what plane it is installed in. I can keep an inventory of all the parts I have. This is a totally increadible program that I would gladly pay for if the author decided to charge for it, but he offers free to give back to the RC community that he is a member of.
Ken, did you see where he is accepting donations? If you feel it is that worthy, a little bone would be appreciated I am sure.

I think I am going to run thru it, but I am not sure I really want to know how much I am spending on this hobby.

Lets see, in the last 6 months, TF GE GS Corsair Kit, misc components for Corsair less engine and retracts, Sig Hog Kit, Misc stuff for Hog, Saito 100, Hanger 9 F-22 ARF, Fuel, Sig Field Box, More misc stuff for SIG LT-40, Super Tiger 40, More stuff for Hog, more stuff for Hog, pneumatics for retracts for Corsair, trips to flight museums for Corsair research, books on Corsairs, amateur radio licence prep book so I can get a 6 meter radio, soon 9303 or 10X on 6 meter, man I don't want to keep going. I have been to the hobby shop twice a week on average for the last 3 months.

I am not sure I want to log this stuff, maybe the flights I will log.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:32 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

You can of course choose what you want to log and not log. If you don't want to track the costs then you don't have to. But keep this fact in mind. This program is perfect for developing a complete inventory of what you have and the costs for insurance purposes. After putting everything I owned for the hobby into flight log, and then consulting with my insurance agent, I found that I didn't have enough coverage to replace everything I have in the event of a total loss. So I was able to adjust my insurance policy to ensure that I am fully covered. Also, a program like this is great for theft. You can have a picture, serial number, and value of everything you own in the event you have to file a police report for theft. Overall, there is a lot more going on with this hobby than just flying the plane. And sometimes it's a necessary evil to know how much you have invested in the hobby.

Ken
Old 03-21-2007, 10:23 PM
agexpert

I think it's a great idea for those who choose to do it.

I have a slightly different persective, though. For me, a working guy who flies before and after work (sometimes during), time is better spent flying whenever possible. And since I fly so much and so often, I just count gallons of glow fuel. I know it's not accurate as every engine and type of flying consumes fuel differently, but it's all I care to bother with.

I am hard on my airframes and I fly them till they begin to fail. Then I either repair them or throw them away. It would be nice to know more detail about each one and figure ways to keep them flying longer, but I simply can't be bothered.

Then again, I don't build, nor do I care to. I bet my perspective would be different if I spent hundreds of hours crafting a museum quality scale model. It's just not what I like to do. I like to fly the balsa-dust out of em and buy another one.

Call me lazy...I'll answer to anything.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:45 AM
the_madgenius

Well i have been using a flight log for the last 7 years, i record weather, cloud cover, temps,wind speed, flight time, along with all the things Ken mentioned. An old habit from 29years od full scale flying? Maybe. But i can see at a glance how my skills have improved over time as well as having a full inventory of all my modelling equipment. It only takes 5 minutes of time at the computer before i open up RcUniverse Forums. No hassle.
Bill
Old 03-22-2007, 01:52 AM
Murdoc

I know exactlywhat I spend on this hobby... The last couple of months I have burned off about 13000 dollars..
I think we all know how much money we spend on our planes, we just don"t want to se the fact!
Old 03-22-2007, 05:34 AM
CGRetired

Ken:

That's great! Thanks for the link. We have been discussing a flight log at our club for beginners and this is a great solution. And, it is great for those of us with a few years of experience behind us. Only thing .. it will probably take me two months to put all the stuff I've accumulated over the past few years.. but I will gladly do it!!

So, to answer the original question... yep. It's a great idea for all the above reasons and then some!

DS.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:22 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Ageexpert,
I track my fuel usage by gallons as well. I don't track how much each plane/engine uses, rather I just record every time a buy a case of fuel (I don't buy fuel by the single gallon). I keep track of how many gallons of fuel I use each year.

Ken
Old 03-22-2007, 08:30 AM
CGRetired

Hi Ken.

Unfortunately, it does not work with Vista. That's what's on my new notebook. I get a Win32 error when trying to load it up. Blah!!! I will drop the author a note about that. Maybe he can fix that with the next update. It will probably run on my XP desktop, though.

Dick.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:53 AM
AVGJohn

Several years ago for Xmas I got a "Day Runner" notebook set up as a flight log. But I never logged my flights. I set up one section for "Trims and Setups" for each plane including tank size, weight, balance point, hole number for all servo arms and horns, and throws for all controls. Another section is set up for an Engine Maintenance log, another for Aircraft Maintenance and repair, another section for Transmitter repair, re-sticker date, and pertenant info, and another section for Receivers and receiver batteries including re-cycle info. I also keep a section for recording all the transmitter settings for the different planes I have on my 7CAP. Never keep track of your costs. I never did at the Bowling Alley for shoes, balls, fees, dues, or beer either. It'll drive you nuts! And besides that, your wife might find out.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:34 AM
CGRetired

I keep telling myself how fortunate I am to be single!! Some of the content in this string prove that .
Old 03-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Dave trimmer

thanks Ken for the link, i downloaded it an it is great last night. in 2 weeks i am going to be disapointed

Dave Trimmer
Old 03-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Sneasle

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Hi Ken.

Unfortunately, it does not work with Vista. That's what's on my new notebook. I get a Win32 error when trying to load it up. Blah!!! I will drop the author a note about that. Maybe he can fix that with the next update. It will probably run on my XP desktop, though.

Dick.

XP has an option that will allow you to run programs as if your OS was 2000/NT, 98, and even 95 I think.

Vista should have a similar option. Give it a shot.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:55 PM
CGRetired

Ok. How do I access that little option? I am computer literate, so just tell me where to find it and I will go ahead and do that.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:05 PM
phoenix8

I have been keeping a log since 1991. It's great. I have a history of all of my planes - time flown, where I flew. I keep notes on repairs. I retired a plane that had over 1000 flights. I noted crashes also. I made notes as to what I did on occassion with a plane. For example, I practiced landings or a right hand pattern or touch and go's etc. By doing so, I also know how much time I have on an engine. I inspect the engine inside and out after a preset number of flights or time. I keep notes on the battery recycle times so I know when to replace a pack. Because of this, I rarely have an equipment failure.[8D]
Old 05-30-2007, 05:52 PM
plugin

CG, right click the executable for the log program. Properties -> Compatibility -> "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" -> Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Then apply and run the program again. I don't know if this will work because I don't have this program but there's your explanation