Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Awsome day 2 !!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Awsome day 2 !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:25 PM
AIRDEL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awsome day 2 !!

Well back to the field today with the Tiger trainer 60. Terry met me down there and I flew a few times. Take offs were ok and the flights were good IMO. Landings weren't greased but no repairs were needed Terry took over once today on a fly by (Little low) I thought I had control but he said he took over momentarily. The landings were a bit bouncy. But I was happy that I've flown a 1/2 gal. of fuel without needing any repairs!!

My 10 year old son took the sticks for a few minutes. He had a few problems but you have to love buddy boxes. All and all he did learn a few things and didn't get discouraged. So we took the radio back and left him wanting more. Tomorrow is supose to be rain and T-storms so we will have to wait till later this week for another chance to go.

Quick question: Terry said that I could most surely fly without the buddy box. I was happy and scared to hear that. So what do you guys who train use as a guide to know when to have a cord cutting ceremony? As much as I want to solo I don't want to rush it into a balled up pile of firestarter. My gut tells me if he believes I should be ready. I told him I wanted 1 more flight on the box then the next could be standing next to me, then I'll send him home.

Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Del
Old 03-24-2007, 10:53 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Awsome day 2 !!

Pretty sure you meant a 1/2 gal without repairs?

Your instructor may have more confidence than you in your abilities. Whether that is deserved or not I couldn't tell you. If YOU don't feel confident he should keep you on the cord a bit longer. What would have happened today the time he DID feel that he needed to save the plane? I'm always happy to keep my students on the box if they feel they need it.

Can I assume that he has offered to replace your plane if it's damaged because he turned you loose too quickly?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:12 PM
AIRDEL

Yes Bruce it was a 1/2 gal. (Went back and edited) No he didn't offer to replace. But I wouldn't expect him to. (I do know for sure that he did replace a plane for a guy he was training on the cord that had mechanical problems) Many others witnessed and said he shouldn't feel responsible. But he built the guy a new plane anyway. Before you ask, he had done all the preflight tests including voltage checks. He is overly cautious at times. I will probably use the cord for a while.

As I said before I didn't realize he took over. The plane did what I was trying to do with it. Only he apparently had control.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Del

P.S. Do you do any kind of a solo test/check with your students?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Dave trimmer

I have flown 2 trianers, and a spad(combat plane) and do ok. I have taken 1 person up on a buddy box a couple of times. but when I first soloed I don't think any one was next to me, i was so nevous i almost lost the plane taking it too far away, and have flown in the wind on a buddy box many times which asured me that i could do it on a calm day. if i do remember my first soloed flight was almost a full minute. If your instructer says you can, you can. Believe in your self and never lose your confidence hile flying evenif your heading straight toward THE GROUND. Remember to use your rudder on take off and if you get frusturated take a brake, and laugh with some friends and try again.

Go through your preflight check as many times as you need(to by your self some calming down time) to. When your in the air try some aproach right after take off working slowly to the ground as you get more confident, then try a touch'n go.

get someone to stand beside you just to double check and give you pointers if needed. A little note for you, The best part of jumping in a lake from a ridge isn't the falling or the splashing, it's building the courage, and the initial leap from safey.

Dave Trimmer
Old 03-24-2007, 11:49 PM
bruce88123

There's no sure fire test. You do just have to feel that the student is comfortable by a period of flying on the cord. The instructor and the student both need to have confidence and the student has to make several flights where I don't even think about taking over.
I never expected him to replace the plane but my point was that he has nothing to lose by letting you solo too soon either.

As for:"The best part of jumping in a lake from a ridge isn't the falling or the splashing, it's building the courage, and the initial leap from safey."
I feel the best part is living through it without getting injured. Helps to know what is under the water's surface. Your training time is like looking under the surface to see the dangers IMO.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:05 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Soloing is just a natural progression after you've made a few takeoffs and landings with the buddy box. Once you've gotten the hang of it with the help of an instructor, you simply go ahead and do it again without them.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Tiger Trainer .60!
Old 03-25-2007, 06:02 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Bruce. If you're still uncomfortable, ask him to stay on the box with you.

But on your next flight with him, imagine that you're doing it on your own. Just blank him out in your mind and fly as if it's your solo. Start getting used to that feeling and you'll be less nervous when you cut the cord
Old 03-25-2007, 08:10 AM
bruce88123

I don't mean to imply that the nervousness before solo will EVER go away but you will reach a point when you know you are ready. Veterans still get nervous when they maiden a new plane but rely on their experience to get them through OK. Most maidens go fairly easy but some can pack some real surprises.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:57 AM
AIRDEL

Boy, I don't even want to think maiden yet. (I built a plane from scratch this winter). Thanks for all the advice. I think I will do the cord again and see how it goes from there.

Thanks again,

Del
Old 03-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Insanemoondoggie

I maiden my Goldberg .40 Cub this weekend. 3 clicks up elevator and she was flying hands off 1/2 throttle. My second maiden of a plane I`ve built It felt soooo goood! to see it flying.
I`m a noobie so I just did some gentle flying. Landed and turned the sticks over to Dave an instructor, and he did things with that Cub you would`nt believe. Guys at the field said they never seen a Cub that could fly like that.
Thanks MinnFlyer, I clipped the wing and knocked a bunch of dihedral out as you suggested and even with the ST GS 40 , flew very smartly. I also took your suggestion to go 4 stroke and bought a Saito 56 for it , no it`s not your beloved os70 lol but I think it well be plenty for me. Only problem was it would come in hot, but still floats, hopefully a bigger prop will help slow it down,
Old 03-25-2007, 09:48 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had a great day today took the Gizmo out its a little 40 size stunter for a buzz then maidened my H-9 .60 mustang, its so nerve wracking taking a new plane up ,but I also got some flying yesterday also with my P-40 so you could say its been a awsome weekend.
lined the Stang up and it flew absolutely great 2 clicks down elevator and I was good to go. I was pretty fired up until the wife called and said to get my tail end home,gots to keep the hall pass lady happy I need more days like today!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:59 AM
ag4ever

My instructor just pulled the cord and gave me the box. This was after we had done a couple take offs and landings, and it was after I had landed and just before I took off again. To be honest, I was not that nervous as I had just taken off and landed without him hitting the switch. So it just felt like I was still on the buddy, but I was not. I know that sounds bad, but I guess I was just comfortable at that moment. Heck, it was not even that exciting. Now the first time I landed, that was exciting. I broke prop, but the plane was in good shape.

This weekend was the first time I went to the field without an instructor, and I made 4 long flights. The first flight had me so nervous I almost could not takeoff, but I reassured myself I could do it, then took off. Unfortunatly, the fuel I was using was kinda old, and the engine was not giving me full power, so i had to run the plane at almost full throttle and it burned the fuel faster than I had expected. The result was a dead stick on my first non-instructor flight. Great, I had never done a dead stick before. So I prepared for the landing, it landed with one hop, and all was well. After that, I had not problems getting back in the air. I figured if I could do a dead stick on my first true solo flight, then I was ready for just about what ever was to be thrown at me. The next two flights went great, but the last flight I dead sticked again, but this time there were 3 people doing #D stuff over the runway. I just anounced deadstick, they cleared and I had to land opposite the landing pattern due to little airspeed and lossing too much altitude before reaslsing I was dead stick. (Hard to hear your engine has died when you have three large aerobatic planes right in front of you!)

So in short, I would say if you really don't feel ready, then don't go solo yet. But you also have to ask yourself if you will ever really feel ready, or if you need a little shove to make you ready. My view is, if the trainer is a total loss, I will just plop down some more money on a new one. It is after all a trainer. This does not mean I want to take unnecessary risks, but I am not afraid of loosing it either.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:27 AM
brooke

I would say if you still want to fly with the buddybox then just tell your instructor and I am sure he will stay with you. I would also take off and then land several times while on the buddy box, or all day for that matter, untill YOU really think you have it. Or if that is not the part that concerns you than do what ever flying while on the buddy box untill you think you have it.

As far as crashing, well, I made it about four years before I crashed my first one. But after I had my first crash it seemed better. It's kinda like when you buy a brand new vehicle and get that first dent or scratch on it. Now you are not so worried about scratching it anymore and I was able to relaxe better. Well, after the first crash you dont have to worry about the first crash anymore. If that makes any sense?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:43 PM
AIRDEL

Well I went out tonight and soloed.

It wasn't pretty but effective.

I didn't take my trainer but rather my duraplane 20 size. Had some trouble keeping it running but did manage about a 3 minute flight with a descent take off, a few laps and a 1 bounce and snub the engine landing. But hey it went up, it came down and it doesn't even need to be repaired. I would have put it up again but it was getting dark real fast. Orientation was difficult on the short flight I got.

Although this was great it won't mean as much as soloing my trainer. Cause there wasn't any nervousness. It is my "If I kill it so what" plane. It has been stuck in the dirt so much it isn't funny.

See ya,

Del
Old 03-26-2007, 09:02 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Delbert,
A solo flight is a great accomplishment and that wins you one genuine RCU ATTABOY (Suitable for framing, wrapping fish, or lining trashcans).

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10704.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	650803  
Old 03-26-2007, 09:36 PM
brianengy

I just did my first country solo. I have a hobbico superstar. I practiced all winter on the computer sim using G3. Also, I did so with a lot of wind.

I'm not saying this is the way to go but it worked for me. I don't have a lot of time to fly. I knew that I COULD have destroyed the plane but I have another backup plane.

Last Saturday it was pretty windy but the runway/road was facing into the wind. There are very few cars that go by, just happens one came by when I was setting up. Anyway, it flew really nice despite all the wind.

I did ding the prop when I landed. O well, it was my second flight. The plane flew just fine at 1/4 throttle and came alive at 3/4-full throttle. I didn't even have to touch the trims until I killed the engine.

The video is not the best. The landing was on pause, no video.

[link=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4722010060948211794]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4722010060948211794[/link][][]
Old 03-26-2007, 10:09 PM
AIRDEL

Brianengy,

I hope I can get a flight of my on video soon.

Quick question. Was that power lines along the road? If so that could be a reeaaallly expensive repair. I mean if you happened to cut the wire. Not to mention not a safe situation if it happened. I don't mean to jump on a soap box but I wouldn't have considered it an option as a place to fly.

Congrats though on a couple of successful flights.

Del
Old 03-26-2007, 10:19 PM
brianengy

I did think about that and ask a friend that is a linesmen and he said it would take alot more than a balsa .40 size airplane to cause major damage. I'm sure there are stories about it but I don't think I came to close. The takeoff did head to the right but once in the air I had major throttle and lift. You can't tell but I had a lots of room.

One more thing, I have also heard of guys in ultralight airplanes waiting to get remove from the PL.

When I do join a local club I'm going to request that I fly with a instructor with a buddy box for the first few flights.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Insanemoondoggie

brianengy Come and check us out. [link]http://www.spmrc.com/[/link] We have some great instructors.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Dave trimmer

congadulations Pierce, I hope you will enjoy the hobby as much as everyone else.

Dave Trimmer