Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Looking for a good 12v charger for vehicle

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Looking for a good 12v charger for vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 02:19 PM
ROBCAR
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a good 12v charger for vehicle

I was wondering if there is a charger out there That I could plug into my cigarette lighter and trickle my planes overnight in the vehicle. What do some of you guys use who dont like unloading the planes after every trip to the field?
Old 04-02-2007, 03:15 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking for a good 12v charger for vehicle

I run an extension cord to my car (in garage) and use my wall wart. Works fine.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:50 PM
rc-junkyard

You wouldn't want to use the car battery anyway, it'll work but you'll be replacing you car battery more often because of it. Especially if your charging over 3 amps. But airplane battery's don't charge that high do they. Most chargers need the engine to be running to charge properly, but I've done it without having the motor running.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:27 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I use a Hobbico Quick Field Charger MkII to charge my airplanes as I usually leave them out in my unpowered garage. I pull up to the field, pop the hood of my car open, and hook up the charger along with receiver and transmitter batteries. Charging the NiCds at 1 Amp, they're usually both topped up and ready to fly within 10 to 15 minutes or so.

This method might wear the batteries out a little bit more quickly than trickle charging, but it's so convenient that I just can't help myself!

I bought a Super Brain 989 charger that does automatic cycling so I can test my tranmitter and receiver batteries at the end of each season.

I still use the trickle chargers (wall warts) when I bring equipment into the house for maintenence or repairs. If I don't have to take it inside, though, I just charge it up when I'm at the field.

This doesn't apply to LiPo flight packs for electrics, however. Those things take forever to charge, and if you're sitting around waiting to fly while they're charging then they take even longer! Those you need to charge up before you head out to fly, or you'll spend all of your time watching your buddies while you babysit your LiPo packs.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:38 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Just use your wall-wart and an inverter.

Personally, I use a Triton for Li-ion and Li-poly packs while I'm driving...and I have a Fromeco reliacharger and a Fromeco cube for charging at the field and at home.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:23 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

I've used a Triton in my car for several years now with no ill effects. I'll often charge a battery will I'm at work an the plane is in the car. That way I'm ready to go when the whistle blows.

Forgot to add that I made adapters so that I can use the charger in the cigarette lighter, or on the power supply at home. I believe that the new Tritons come with banana jacks on them instead of the spring clamps. I had to cut the clamps off.

Kerry