Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What servos go with what Receiver #'s on Plane?(please help)

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What servos go with what Receiver #'s on Plane?(please help)

Old 04-07-2007, 06:26 PM
dpsa98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What servos go with what Receiver #'s on Plane?(please help)

Im putting together a gas plane and im not sure how everything goes together. I have 2 seperate servos for the ailerons 1 servo for the elevator 1 for the rudder and 1 for throtle. I have a Hitec dual conversion receiver with 8 channels. I have an on off switch on the plane and a battery....Could someone please help me make sence of how to hook all of this up. Thank you for any help you can give...

Dave
Old 04-07-2007, 06:59 PM
bobrev06x

Default RE: What servos go with what Receiver #'s on Plane?(please help)

ailerons are 1
elevator is 2
throttle is 3
rudder would be 4
Old 04-07-2007, 07:10 PM
dpsa98

Thank you I appreciate your help. If I have 2 servos running my ailerons and I dont have a y harness would I put the other aileron servo into the 5 slot. Use the 8 slot for the on off switch with the battery connected to the switch itself?
Old 04-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the ability to mix your channels, follow the instructions for your transmitter for Flaperons or dual aileron servos. It makes tuning the ailerons a lot eaiser as you can do almost all of it from the transmitter. This is a transmitter issue, not a receiver one. To the receiver all channels are equal. What you need to do is match your servo channels to the transmitter you are using.

I use a Futaba 9C super and I use Channel 1 for right aileron and Channel 7 for the left one. I could use 1 and 5 also.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:54 PM
dpsa98

Thank you , I have a new computer radio (Futaba 7CAP) and Its my first computer radio. Also the first time I have put together my own plane. I appreciate your help I got everything working now.. I just need to make some adjustments and I should be set.

Dave
Old 04-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Campgems

Set the servo limits to 140%, that should be maximum. Check the center position now and then to make sure your surfaces are centered. When you mount servos "facing" each other on the ailerons, the splines will not let the arms set the same, so you are going to have to do some sub trim work on each wing. Start everything with the servo arms at 90 degrees to the length of the servo. once you have both arms correct, now adjust the linkage so each aileron is centered. Now mechanically set your throws so at full throw, you are just hitting the maximum travel on the surface. Depending on the symetry of the horns, you may need to recenter. Now cut back the end points so your maximum travel is where you want it. If you are setting up dual rates, set the high rate first. With the two channel setup, don't assume that the same values on the transmitter will translate to the same throws. Measure carefully. After the throws are set where you want them, then you can set up expo. 60% on alierons is a good start point, espically if your plane is quick on the ailerons.

You should end up with the throws you want wiht the end points at near 100% for high rate. If you have to go below say 75% on endpoint, change your mechanical setting so you get the throw you want at near 100%. This gives better servo resolution.

Don
Old 04-08-2007, 12:37 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course, those numbers only work for Futaba transmitters. Other brands are different.

I remember them alphabetically; 1- Ailerons, 2- Elevator, 3- Motor (rather than throttle or engine), 4- Rudder
Old 04-08-2007, 10:37 AM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Stupid question.... gas plane? As in Gasoline engine or Nitro engine?

Andy
Old 04-08-2007, 04:23 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: a65l

Stupid question.... gas plane? As in Gasoline engine or Nitro engine?

Andy
Aw, give the kid a break Andy. Ya know the new guys (and a lot of old Pros) don't get that right.

We know he meant nitro, don't you?
Old 04-08-2007, 04:37 PM
B.L.E.

I still haven't memorized that stuff. I just plug a servo into one of the plugs on the reciever and then see if the correct control works it. If the rudder control on the x-mitter makes the elevator move up and down, then you have the elevator servo plugged into the rudder channel etc. Even after you get them all plugged into the correct channels, you are still going to have to check that the movement is not backwards. Reversed ailerons can make for an "interesting" maiden flight.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:56 PM
bruce88123

Memorized? Here's a bold idea, READ THE MANUAL. I memorized the fact that the info is in the manuals.