Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What do I need for this repair?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What do I need for this repair?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:56 PM
YellowHawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do I need for this repair?

I'm going to repair my NexStar. My question is, what all do I need? One of the 1/4" square pieces of the frame broke. I guess I can buy that. I also will need a piece of new balsa skin and the covering. Should I use epoxy or some sort of CA? Then I guess I'll need a covering iron as well? The repair I'll be doing will look basically like this:

http://www.2ndrcflightschool.com/tipsandtricks5.htm

That's pretty much the same damage I have on mine. If I can do the repair it should be stronger than original afterwards. Mine is busted a little more but not a lot more.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:03 AM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What do I need for this repair?

Look up "war duck" or nextstar you will find lot of mods have been made on them during rebuilds or just wanted to up the performance.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:16 AM
alan0899

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day Mate,
Just follow the tips in the link you posted, & you should be fine.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:25 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use as many of the original pieces as you can, hopefully they will go right back into place. Otherwise you'll have to cut new ones from balsa or plywood stock. For the landing gear mount, you should probably use epoxy for strength and flexibility. For the balsa stringers and sheeting you can use CA. Then you'll need sandpaper to smooth out the wood. You will need a covering iron to apply some Monokote (or whatever covering you use).
Old 04-08-2007, 03:12 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try not to add too much glue to the area you are repairing if it looks like you need a bunch of glue to repair the area, replace the wood,just copy what you are replacing as close as posable I have repaired my NEXTAR at the landing gear area a couple of times its a weak point for sure.
as a alternitive H-9 makes a good alum. gear to replace the stock ones.
all you need to do is install a mounting block and some blind nuts too mount the gear with if the stock ones are not repairable.
I might add I have done mine twice with the stock gear and they work fine,a tip for you when you put it together assemble the parts with the gear in place so there is a tight fit, if the fit is loose the gear won't stay in well and might even fall out I found this out the hard way and had to rebuild what I thought was a good repair only to find out the gear wouldn't snap in and lock in place they kept falling out.
It was on my first try.
A learning expirence aren't they all.
now that the NEXTAR is semi retired I am re-powering with a OS 61, removing the dihedral out of the wings, and adding some floats I just got this plane has a future just yet.