Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New picture format

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New picture format

Old 04-19-2007, 11:13 PM
shd3920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New picture format

Let me to be the 1st one to say I love the new picture format for the threads at RCU. Takes a bit longer to load on my computer but well worth it. For one the pics seem brighter and I really love it that we can now view all the pics one after the other with the 'next' or 'previous' arrow keys without having to close out of each pic to view another.

Great improvement. Any future changes coming that we can look forward to?

[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-20-2007, 06:40 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: New picture format

ORIGINAL: tigerdude426

Great improvement. Any future changes coming that we can look forward to?
There is a major system software upgrade due sometime this year. There will be a lot of new features with the new software that should make RCU easier to use. Although right now we don't know exactly when it's going to be ready.

Ken
Old 04-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Montague

I'll put in my vote then....

I HATE the new picture thing. I prefer to open several pictures in the background at full size while reading. I really don't like how it now covers up what I'm reading, and that I can't load the pictures in the background. At home I use firefox, and open the photos in tabs, which is really nice.

I would really appricate it if there was another link with each photo that allowed opening them directly, the old way.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:23 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Montague,
You can right click on the picture and select "Open in new window" and it will do what you want.

Ken
Old 04-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Montague

Yes, I know, I figured that out. But it's slower than just hitting ctrl-click. right-click, move mouse, click... If you just check the meta keys and don't trap the click if a meta key is held down, that would work too.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:37 PM
shd3920

But if you click on the 4-arrows key under the picture you can move it to any designated spot on your desktop screen that you want it to be.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:15 AM
Montague

But if it was the old way, it would automatically come exactly where I wanted it every time, with out additional effort.

UIs that make the user do more work than they did before the "upgrade" aren't upgrades. It's just bad UI design.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry Monty, you'r in the minority here. Aside from likeing the looks and how it works, last week I had to DL a bunch of the Toledo images for the write-up and the new system was a god-send for doing that!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:27 AM
Montague

It was the toledo writeup that really got me hating the UI. I just stopped looking at the pictures, it was too much trouble, esp waiting for each and every photo to load. That was tedious in the extreme. Now I find that if someone posts several pictures, I might look at one or two of them. Before I could background load all of them, and page through them easily. Not anymore, and that's a real loss.

The simple fact is that the change took away an ability to use the system that was important to me. If you never used it, you obviously wouldn't care that it went away. But I did use it, and I do care. Oh well.

Just passing through the control-clicks and shift-clicks while trapping the clicks with out meta keys would be good enough for me.

I have no idea how the UI works for posting pictures. I haven't tried. It might be wonderful, that's great if it is.

The viewing UI is clunky and awkward and requires multiple extra clicks and mouse movements, which makes it slower to use. And it forces me to wait for the images to load. If you had some way to request multiple images at a time, and load them in the background, that would help the speed problem, but not the UI issues.

I realize I'm probably in the minority. I'm also probably in the minority who thinks that in general, most software UIs suck. Maybe I'm old school, but being able to use something quickly and easily counts. Too much time coding, I guess.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I`m having very slow speed uploads for the vidoes . Most time it just times out. Have`nt tried pics yet.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:44 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Awesome improvement.........[X(]
Old 04-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Flying freak

Idea: why cant somhing like this be programed into our prefrences like one some of the other forum sits you could adjust to what the USER prefers... as soon as you log it it would load jsut like it loads your dp and everythign else...
Old 04-23-2007, 03:36 PM
ag4ever

I personally don't like it.

I have found myself closing the entire thread when I only mean to close the picture.

I will get used to the new way, but I just don't care for it.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Montague

I played with it some more. I still don't like it , and I've found a couple of bugs, in case anyone who coded it is watching.

- if I open an image from someone who has multiple images, then I move it, then click the next or previous button to see anohter image, the window closes and reopens right back in the middle of the screen. It should remember it's last location so I don't have to move it each and evey time.

- If the image pops up over top of some combo boxes (such as the font fact and font size combos above in the "fast reply" part of the page I'm using now), the combo box will some times show through the image. I could screen shot it if that doesn't make sense. But it sure is annoying.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:44 PM
waross

I like the new format.....someone will always complain. There are always those individuals that no matter what you do they will not be satisfied. Give them a million dollars and they will complain about it being all ones.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Trollmaster

I like it, caught me off guard the first few times and shut down rcu a coupl e times accidently.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Montague

And any time someone points out real flaws in something (espeically software) some moron will rush to the defense and dismiss other people's opionions with stupid comments.

Look, you like the new thing, fine. And maybe you work in the software development field, but from your comments, I doubt it, and if you do, I hope you never work for me, you wouldn't last long.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:10 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Give it some time. It's new, and may still have some bugs, but Marc is great at making these things work the way you want them to.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:38 AM
bruce88123

I'm not crazy about it either. Hopefully it will grow on me but not like a fungus.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:38 AM
rcdivot

While driving down the highway my brother told me he can't stand all the semi's. He said they should outlaw them all. I told him if they did that he wouldn't be eating that hamburger he had in his mouth. Someone is always complaining no matter what.

Pics look fine to me. My mouse likes the exercise!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:47 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: rcdivot

While driving down the highway my brother told me he can't stand all the semi's. He said they should outlaw them all. I told him if they did that he wouldn't be eating that hamburger he had in his mouth. Someone is always complaining no matter what.

Pics look fine to me. My mouse likes the exercise!
Yeah, but do they need to take up EVERY lane at the stop lights?[:@]
Old 04-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Dave trimmer

Pics in my opinion are fantastic.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:23 PM
oldhippy1
My Feedback: (21)

I think the new picture format is an awesome feature.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 04-28-2007, 01:49 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

I'm digging the new format... was suprised the first time the window zoomed in. Thought - "Woah - that's cool." Great for reading threads and staying on the same page. Great job RCU dev geeks!
Old 04-28-2007, 03:18 AM
Whistling Death

I love the new picture format. It works well for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.