Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 trainer is good?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hanger 9 trainer is good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 12:47 AM
SWATHKSDU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 trainer is good?

I just went to a local hobby shop. the owner strongly recommend me to buy a hanger 9 trainer kit RTF. Actually, I wanna build a trainer myself. But the owner of tha shop said I should buy a cheap setting to try and see if I am really interested in it. the price includes everything except fuel is 340. good place?
or I should go for SIG LT-40?

thx u

SWAT
Old 02-22-2003, 12:50 AM
Woodsy

OK for a great easy to build, hard wearing trainer have a look at the Debonair and BUHOR at www.spadtothebone.com then log on to the spadworld forum for all the help you will ever need.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:51 AM
Steve Guinn

Don't know which H-9 trainer you mean, but I have the H-9 Solo trainer and do not care for it at all.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:16 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

If you want to build, than build. That's what we all did for a very long time! Just get help, especially flying.

If that's the Alpha, I've flown 2, one first flight, one with a student on buddy box. It was great. But the price should be around 300 even. And if time is at a premium for you, like it is for me, and if you are seriously interested, consider this advice I've recently given: buy a ready to fly trainer, and a kit that can use the same equipment (radio and engine) to build as you learn to fly. An example might be the Sig 4star 40.

Just a thought

Gordon
Old 02-22-2003, 02:47 AM
Norm Nestie

Started flying with a H9 Solo trainer. Very nicely built ARF, good hardware and super flier. Would highly recommend a H9 trainer.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:27 AM
SWATHKSDU

that plane is called "Hanger 9 Easy 2 Airplane Kit" I thnk.
thisplane is good quality? he is asking for 340 include everything except fuel.
But I dunno what the brand of the radio and engine is.

SWAT
Old 02-22-2003, 04:45 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

I don't know the easy 2. I can state that the Alpha is 1 hour to flight, JR radio, very nice engine. Probably the Easy is fine!

Gordon
Old 02-22-2003, 05:27 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have several Easy2's at my club. Excellent flying plane! You wouldn't go wrong with it as your trainer. As long as it comes with a name brand engine and radio (I'm sure it does) then you will be set!
Old 02-22-2003, 01:09 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Debonair is a great trainer and costs about 20 bucks to build from scratch. You can build it over the the course of a weekend with little trouble. Best part is the debonair is very sturdy and won't shatter into pieces when you crash. Notice I said when, most trainers are damaged one way or another during the learning process. Email me and I'll send you a pic of it-sorry its not for sale.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:55 PM
ChixwithTrix
My Feedback: (8)

I bought the H9 Easy Fly 40 from my LHS and i loved it! I threw an os .46 on the nose and it had plenty power. It was a nice arf to assemble for my 1st one and i loved how it flew.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	57403_7104.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	35819  
Old 02-22-2003, 07:14 PM
Skoalz

I agree with both bgisapk and homebrewer.

IF you wish to build, build. For some, that is 1/2 or more of the fun.

If you are considering an ARF, build a SPAD Debonair or BUHOR.
These are easier to build than an ARF, fly as well and are durable. You may even want to build a SPAD trainer and get a good 2nd plane kit (like a Tiger 2) to build.

There is no good reason to chose a balsa ARF over a SPAD trainer if you are using that plane as a tool to learn to fly.

Best of luck with whatever you chose!
Old 02-22-2003, 09:05 PM
conkster

Default alpha trainer

a friend bought a h9 alpha trainer $295 excellent plane. i don`t know how you could fly it in 1 hr. though. i had his ready to fly in about 1/2 hr. but the batteries take 24 hrs. to charge ! i wish i would`ve bought one. the engine is already broken in , it started right up & ran perfectly. conk
Old 02-23-2003, 12:33 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Default Alpha - 1 hour to flight

When I said 1 hour, that included coffee breaks and fast charge on the Battery. I don't recomend that, nor do I endorse it, nor to I think anyone should do it, and you can't blame me if you do it. But all my bats see the fast charger more often than not, even the first time, and I don't see any difference when I cycle them. But don't do it!

Gordon
Old 02-23-2003, 01:56 AM
conkster

forgot all about a fast charge ! a fast charge would probably be ok once in a while, but definetly not for the first few charges. i just think it`s wrong for manufactures to advertise "ready to fly in 1 hr " or less just to try to get someone to buy their product. i built my first plane 20 years ago when there were no arf`s. it took days or weeks until it was ready to fly. now u can buy a arf for a little more than a kit. i really like them but i still build once in a while,probably 1 in every 3 . conk
Old 02-23-2003, 02:11 AM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Well, if we're gonna go there:

First, I agree with you, I still build some. I figure, there are plenty of oddball stuff, especially non-standard designs (canard, autogyro, etc), that I'll build those, and the "normal stuff I'll let the folks in China do the building. Heck, I can't cover like them nor can I build them for as little as they cost!

Second, along the lines of advice/horror storys: First time I saw one of these RTF's, the guy had the salesman at the LHS put it together, and fast charge the bats, them came to the feild. After 4 flights, the bat died, totaled the plane. Neither he nor the guy helping him, checked the bats and the LHS didn't warn him to. So he went back AND THEY REPLACED IT! I couldn't believe it.

By the time I got my first kit built, I'd learned all about things like checking your batteries. So if you get an RTF, take more than an hour and find good help!

Sorry for the bad advice on the Batteries, but so far I can't prove there is a difference in slow and fast charging.

Gordon
Old 02-23-2003, 02:49 PM
lcbabj
My Feedback: (7)

I highly recommend the Hanger 9 Alpha for 1st plane. I learned on it, still have it, and still like to fly it. When they say it takes an hour to have it ready, there are not kidding. Great flying plane. After 8 months on it I can do some pretty fun aerobatics even though it is still a trainer that wants to fly one way only. Good plane to learn on. Cant miss with the Evolution .40 motor. Great motor for dummies like me. I highly recommend it as a 1st plane for anyone.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:54 AM
Lance Oakley
My Feedback: (1)

My first was a Hobbico Avistar! I think it is a great trainer and with the semi-symetrical wing, it will do things the others won't

I crashed a lot while learning, and fixing the plane was what got me started with building. My Avistar looks awful with all the repairs, but flies as well as it did new.

Tower Hobbies sells the complete Avistar with an OS .40 and Futaba radio for $300 You will still need a glow starter $9 and fuel accessories.$

The best advise is to get a buddy box $45 and cord $14 and learn with a buddy.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:18 PM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

I learned on the Hangar 9 Xtra Easy and still have that plane today. Flies great and got me into the hobby at a reasonable price. When I bought that kit, the hobby store let me upgrade my radio to the JR 662 for the difference in cost.