Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Evolution .46 prop choice?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Evolution .46 prop choice?

Old 04-24-2007, 08:19 PM
mstine06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution .46 prop choice?

Hi guys, I currently have a evo .46 on a tiger 2. I have an 11x6 apc prop on it. Seems to be fine. I was looking for something with a little less topend and more torque. Could I use a 12x4w on it and have a lot more torque? Or what prop would you recommend to be more aerobatic on this plane motor combo. Thanks, Matt
Old 04-24-2007, 10:58 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Evolution .46 prop choice?

I would expect that the 11X6 prop you're currently running is close to ideal for aerobatic flying on the Tiger 2. It's not a 3D plane with large control surfaces, so the "larger column of air" benefit gained from a longer, lower pitched prop (like the 12x4W you were considering) wouldn't really help it at all.

A faster top speed will actually help the Tiger 2 with knife edge flight and some other aerobatic manuevers, so you might experiment with an 11x7 or 10x8 prop and see which you like the best.

If you're trying to step up to more challenging aerobatics and you feel like the Tiger 2 isn't capable of what you're attempting, it might be time to consider a pattern plane design like the Great Planes Venus 40 ARF or the Phoenix SeaBee or Laser. A "fun fly" sport/3D model like the Seagull Harrier .46 or Hangar 9 Twist could be a good fit for you as well.

The Tiger 2 is a wonderful airframe, but it does have limits to its aerobatic capabilities.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Mr67Stang

I fully agree with bigedmustafa. While a 12x4 or a 12.25x3.75 is probably at the very top for that engine it just wouldn't do that plane any justice. Try an 11x7.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:33 AM
rcdivot

I switched from a 11/6 to a 12/7 on my os 46 ax and it slowed my goldberg piper cub down a tad but gave it more torque.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Montague

Also, don't be afraid to try an APC 11x5. I run that prop on mine and I get better climb and the same level speed as with an 11x6.

The reason is that the 11x5 allows the engine to rev just a little higher, but it's enough difference to make up the airspeed loss from the 1" of pitch, while at the same time, the lower pitch gives better acceleration and climb.

Alsok the Tiger isn't exactly a low-drag design, so the lower pitch will help there as well.

Also, if you want more power, take the baffle out of the muffler. It makes the engine a little louder, but the pick up is noticeable.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:07 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

A friend of mine using high wing plane with not dihedral on the wings but it flies great and glides great. He has O.S. .46 engine and using 11x7 prop, and plane is flying so great. I think 11x6 and 11x7 are the best, and what I understand here that thrust is not intended more but speed.

Mody
Old 04-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Montague

The O.P. actually said lower speed and more thrust was the desired effect...

Anyway, prop selection is heavily affected by the airframe and the personal preference of the pilot.

In some cases (I don't think it applies here, but I've personally done it), you can actually pick up airspeed by going down in pitch. This is most common on draggy airframes, and with engines that are being slightly overloaded by the larger pitch prop. Our engines aren't linear, and they don't always turn the same RPM. A prop with the same diameter and less pitch will turn at a higher RPM. That sometimes more than makes up for the loss of pitch, so you have to try it, and don't assume that adding pitch always speeds up the plane and reducing pitch always slows it down.