Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

electric motor problem

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

electric motor problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:34 PM
rc-junkyard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric motor problem

I was just wondering if theres a way to tell if the shaft of a motor is bent? I't's a small like 380 park flyer and it seems to be a bit difficult to spin after a couple of nose dives on a windy day.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: electric motor problem

Turn the motor over by hand... if the prop has wobbly tracking then the shaft is bent. If it looks good by hand then turn it over by adding power slowly. Excessive vibration and/or wobbly prop tracking indecates a possible bent shaft.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:40 PM
opjose

Also when you say "difficult to spin" do you mean that when you attempt to spin it by hand it seems to resist the spin?

I find that this often happens with electric motors even though nothing is wrong.

For some reason the coils seem to remain energized for a while even after power ( or the battery pack ) has been removed, causing some resistance to attempts to spin the prop.

If you wait awhile it disappears as the ESC's capacitors discharge.

Normally when power is re-applied, and if braking is set to off, the motor will seem to spin freely again.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:43 PM
rc-junkyard

I think what it is is the magnets from the motor that I'm feeling. I've always felt that with my rc car motors but just got into planes and the motor wasn't broken in yet I guess. I'm pretty sure the prop is spinning straight.

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys, I really appreciate it.