Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

need airframe ideas..

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

need airframe ideas..

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:24 AM
the dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need airframe ideas..

ok i want to buy a plane. i have all the servos and electronics i'll need but i need a airframe. i also hae a os 60 motor thats new for a plane. it is a non ringed motor. dont know if that maters or not. anyway, i would like to get like a sig senior type plane. but i dont know anything about plane airframes so maybe somebody could give me soe ideas that would fit that motor. i fly 90 size helis now and have flown alot of plane hours also on the sim. but never a real rc one. i figure it cant be any harder than a helicopter. so any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:14 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: need airframe ideas..

There are a couple of 60 size trainers around but one of these

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN2350

would also do the job. Some dual time till you crack the take off / landing bit and it will take you along way while giving you thinking time.

With a 90 or a hot 60 you can even play at being a heli [ prop hang ]
Old 05-24-2007, 07:10 AM
bigedmustafa

You might want to give the Hobbico Hobbistar ARF a good look:

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCSY9&P=0]Hobbico Hobbistar at Tower Hobbies[/link]

It's a trainer with a semi-symmetrical wing that is specifically designed for engines like your O.S. Max .61. It will be easy to learn how to take off and land with, but the low dihedral and semi symmetrical airfoil will allow you to practice a wide array of aerobatics with it once you get the basics down.

Tower sells it for $149.99, but you can save $30 by using advertising code 014XM when you check out (code good through May 31, 2007).

One weakness with the Hobbistar is that the covering will tend to peel off after a few flights. You'll want to go over the covering with an iron to make sure the edges are sealed. You should also try fuel proofing the edges of the trim pieces (stripes, windows, etc.) with some clear nail polish or clear Midwest Aero Gloss.

Good shopping and good luck!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:35 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've put together a list of planes that make good trainers and second planes. All of them on the list are proven planes that are well suited for successfully letting students learn to fly, or advance to a second plane. Check out the list here
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm] Looking for a trainer- what's available. (Updated 1-19-07) [/link]

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 05-24-2007, 08:12 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're an accomplished Heli pilot and have lots of Sim hours, I would recommend something in the advanced trainer line (You'll get bored too quickly with a basic trainer)

For that engine, a Tiger 60, or 4* 60 might be what you're looking for
Old 05-24-2007, 01:52 PM
the dog

thanks guys. i think i would want to start out on something that wont bore me right away. the cloud dancer looks lke it would work good and so doesthe tiger 60. is there any high wing planes that are in that same class besides the hobbico one. maybe with a little more scale look?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:13 PM
bigedmustafa

There are a number of good Super Decathlon ARFs available from Global Hobby, Thunder Tiger, and others that are very aerobatic scale models that would be a lot of fun to fly:

[link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/126515.asp]Global Super Decathlon at Hobby People[/link]

[link=http://www.ehobbies.com/ttr4570.html]TT Super Decathlon at eHobbies.com[/link]

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDJF0&P=7]Goldberg Decathlon[/link]

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKAG4&P=7]Phoenix Super Decathlon[/link]

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SEA2075]Seagull Super Decathlon[/link]

Even though most of these are listed as .40/.46 sized ARFs, they tend to weigh in around the 6.5 to 7lb range. A .60 2-stroke is still a very good fit for these planes and you'll appreciate the extra power when you're doing aerobatics. The Goldberg and Global ARFs are a little larger than the rest, and a .60 2-stroke will fly a little more "scale" on these airframes if that's important to you.

Good luck and good shopping!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:30 PM
MinnFlyer

I was thinking Decathlon too, just be careful, A Decathlon can be deceiving. They look like a cub, but they are High-Performance airplanes.

Try to fly it slowly like a Sunday Flier, and they can bite you!
Old 05-25-2007, 03:06 AM
j.duncker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with something that will not stall easily. As a heli pilot you are used to slow flight. Slow down some models and they stall with very little warning.

That is why I suggested the fun fly style model.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:11 AM
bigedmustafa

It's pretty hard to stall a stik, I'd have to agree that j.duncker's suggestion of a .60-sized Ultra Stik is also a very good one. They slow down and land like a trainer, but they're very aerobatic. Stiks are often recommended as a second plane, they don't really have any bad habits and they're a lot of fun.

The original poster also mentioned the Cloud Dancer. The Ace Hobby Cloud Dancer .60 ARF is a beautiful plane that is supposed to be a wonderful sport plane. I believe it will land more quickly than a Stik will. You can probably start with the Cloud Dancer if you're willing to spend some time on a buddy box with a flight instructor while you're learning to fly it. If you want to dive in on your own sooner rather than later, however, you should start with a Stik and then go to the Cloud Dancer .60 as your second plane.

As beautiful as the Cloud Dancer .60 ARF is, I'm surprised that more folks don't give them a try.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:28 AM
MinnFlyer

It looks like a great flier, but I don't care for the pointy tail feathers