Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Taxiing Question; Tail dragger

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Taxiing Question; Tail dragger

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:01 PM
capt17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taxiing Question; Tail dragger

I know it is good practice to give a little up elevator when taxiing with a tail dragger. I have a Venture 60 with flaperons. My JR6102 allows me to go up or down with the flaperons. My question is, could putting the flaperons at a bit of an up angle take the place of me having to hold up elevator? Just a thought. Of course I would neutralize the flaperons once I got to my ground roll. Are there any other uses for the flaperons in an up position?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Taxiing Question; Tail dragger

I would not sudjest this practice. Just get used to using the elevator. It takes you longer to correct them in the event you did forget to neutralize them before your roll out. And by then it could be to late. Play with your spoilerons/flapperons at a safe altitude untill yopu know what they will do to your plane.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:46 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my Venture 60, to taxi, I just use full up elevator. On takeoff rollout, I need only go 10' or so holding up elevator, by then the rudder has good authority. I use a Saito 91 for power. I just had it out this afternoon. This is a super flying aircraft, very honest and easy. There really is no reason for flaperons, I tried them with mine, just not necessary. Fun to play with, but this thing really can't use them. I do use them on my Tiger, they have more effect on it. I have the Tiger a little nose heavy, and it wants to land with some speed. The flaperons will slow it somewhat. I can't think of any reason to use flaperons in the up position. The reason to use up elevator is to allow more pressure on the tailwheel and getting more positive slow speed response. You will have a lot of fun with the Venture. Be careful you don't have uncontrolled fun, like my friend did with his. Still rebuilding it from last week....[:@]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24884.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	690804   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43917.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	690805  
Old 05-24-2007, 08:00 PM
bruce88123

Moving the flaperons "up" will kill some lift in the wing but this isn't what you are trying to do.
Moving the flaperons "down" will add wing lift and this is NOT what you are trying to do.

What you are trying to do is PRESS the tail down for 2 reasons.
1. Makes it easier to steer via the wheel
2. Reduces noseover tendency.
This is done best with the elevator deflecting prop wash. Don't "cheat" and use trim for this either. Not enough to do the job and you may forget to remove it before takeoff.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:09 PM
capt17

Ok! Thanks for the info! I figured this much but just thought I would ask.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:19 PM
jetmech05

Bruce is on the money with his answer.
spoilers will kill lift, which aids in braking action. at least on full scale. here it just kills lift.
go have fun
Old 05-24-2007, 09:21 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Bruce's advice is spot on the money!!!

Ken
Old 05-24-2007, 10:00 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

Bruce is on the money with his answer.
spoilers will kill lift, which aids in braking action. at least on full scale. here it just kills lift.
go have fun
When jetmech referred to full scale lets define what happens in commercial jets.

When they get up to speed they actually disable their ailerons (on most modern jets) and operate on spoiler control because it creates less drag and no adverse yaw effect.

When they want to descend fast they deploy their speed brakes which is just MORE spoilers across a larger portion of the wing. These set up massive amounts of drag and turbulence over the wing. You may have felt it, like a prolonged shuddering during descent. Allows them to put the nose down without building too much speed horizontally.

And then after landing they have yet another setting called "ground spoilers". Once the planes sensors detects the wheels rolling these deploy spoilers from the side of the fuselage to the wing tip to kill ALL lift in the wing and plant the plane firmly on the ground for maximum control.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:38 AM
Dr1Driver

Be sure you release that full up elevator when you begin the takeoff roll!

Dr.1
Old 05-25-2007, 09:25 AM
LeeL
My Feedback: (1)

Bruce hit it dead on. Using the flaperons in an up position is something I only do via mixes in my radio and only for certian high alpha aerobatics.