Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Is a sea plane hard to fly

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Is a sea plane hard to fly

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 08:38 PM
erichantal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a sea plane hard to fly

Don't worry... I'm still going to practice with my trainor for a long time... but as I am on an Island there is water everywere and I was wondering how hard is a sea plane to fly? I know it need different skill but at what level would you recommend somebody to try and what would be the best model to start your way in those interesting bird?
Thanks for your help and keep up the good work...
Eric
Old 05-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Destiny-RCU

Default RE: Is a sea plane hard to fly

The plane isin't hard to fly, same as anything else. You're landing skills are very important, one good hard landing will put you swimming trying to get your motor back. I would fly for a good while before you jump into them.

Russ
Old 05-24-2007, 09:12 PM
jetmech05

Water is not for a novice pilot. You need to consistantly make smooth landings. a little nose low and your going after your plane in a boat.
On the other hand take offs are easy, just add power no need to apply rudder to stay on the runway.
Go have fun
Old 05-25-2007, 08:19 AM
3 for 3

A seaplane is not hard to fly. You will find that the take offs and landings need a bit more skill. My recommendation is to do a lot of touch and goes off of your field. Learn what flare and rotation looks and feels like. I float fly 3 to 4 times a month with a group of 10 fliers.
If your open to suggestions:
1. have a good running engine.
2. Get the nose into the wind and accelerate quickly. The most common mistake I see is people slowly increasing throttle during take off.
3. have some means of retrieving your plane. A fishing pole with a tennis ball attached is very useful.
4. If you have not spent any money yet, a seaplane/monohull would be the way to go. The cg is closer to the water versus a plane on floats. This helps with water taxiing during windy conditions. Once you realize that float flying is really cool, you can stick floats on any plane. I have a Lanier Q500 Predator on floats.
5. Things to remember. The landing strip has increased in size and shape. The trees along the shore are as hungry as the ones near your field. Balsa floats.

some definitions
Flare
The point during the landing approach in which the pilot gives an increased amount of up elevator to smooth the touchdown of the airplane.
Rotation
The point where there is enough speed to lift the nose up for take-off. The fuselage rotates around the CG.

I enjoy being near the water and then to be able to fly r/c? Boy-howdy, its a hoot!

Hope you have as much fun as we do.
rcs
Old 05-25-2007, 09:27 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I had my first experience flying off water last summer. I had about 2 years flying experience under my belt, and could consistently grease my landings at the field.

Water, however, adds a different dimension to the landing. Many people get away with the "chop and drop" on their landings. The wheels are not going to punch through the runway surface. On water, however, if you try this technique, you will drive the floats below the surface, and you will nose over. You must fly the plane down to the water, and allow the floats to ski over the surface and then settle down. Keeping the nose up is vital.

There is a seaplane forum. I highly recommend you do a lot of reading there.

Brad
Old 05-25-2007, 11:57 AM
erichantal

Thanks I will do...
Old 05-25-2007, 11:59 AM
dwilt72

Landing and taking off on water sound really cool. However, water is not near as forgiving as the ground. My son-in-law has a pond at his flying field. He has crash landed two planes in the the pond since February! The bad part is that when electronics, etc get wet they may be unusable. If you crash into the ground, you normally don't have to replace servos, etc...however when crashing into water you probably will have to replace them.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:03 PM
3 for 3

You don't have to replace the electronics. Disassemble, clean with freshwater and let them sit in the sun until dry. Reassemble, range check, good to go. I have never had to replace electronics just because they got wet.
rcs
Old 05-25-2007, 12:49 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a link to some video on my Lanier Husky on floats

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...39395592&hl=en
Old 05-25-2007, 01:11 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you think flying is addicting, wait till you try mixing it with water!

It's a blast, but it's tricky. As far as skill level, as long as you are very good with a trainer, you're ready to try it. But as others have said, you need to be very good at landing and taking off.

Once you are ready, get some floats for your trainer, and ask some questions in the seaplane forum
Old 05-25-2007, 01:23 PM
rollo

ORIGINAL: pettit

Here's a link to some video on my Lanier Husky on floats

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...39395592&hl=en

Nice successful flight on the Lanier although I though for a moment it was going to nose into the water.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:18 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a photo of the Husky taxiing around the lake:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22615.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	691219  
Old 05-25-2007, 03:36 PM
DaveB

You may want to consider a small boat for retrieval purposes, unless of course the water is very shallow.

DaveB