Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

E-Flige Mini Edge 540 Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

E-Flige Mini Edge 540 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 01:59 AM
adoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Flige Mini Edge 540 Questions

Hi guys,
I'm relatively new to flying. I started out with the faithful GWS Slow Stick. The other day I bought an E-Flite Mini Edge 540 for a few reasons. First, I was bored and figured I might as well use my abundant amount of down time to get some build time under my belt. Second, I wanted a plane that I could later fly with 3D capabilities. My first question is how much flight time on my slow stick should I have before I even try to move to something more advanced? When I am ready for a new plane, should I go straight to my Mini Edge or is there a more intermediate step which I should take first? Also, I have an old Futaba junker transmitter which I probably shouldn't use to fly anything except my Slow Stick. What's a good transmitter for someone of my skill level? Thanks for all your help guys! It's always appreciated!

Best Regards,
--Alex
Old 06-06-2007, 10:36 PM
glydrgydr

Default RE: E-Flige Mini Edge 540 Questions

Alex,
You would probably transition better if you were to add ailerons and flatten the dihedral of your slo-stick, or better yet move up to an aileron trainer. The key is to get comfortable flying with ailerons. That will be the biggest leap between your ss and the 540. Besides the neutral stability of the 540. Also practice landings, with the idea of making them smooth and predictable.
I like to fly my ss in my backyard and sometimes only takeoff to a wingover and land. I also spend a lot of time flying figure eights at eye-level! I do this to build comfort in seeing my plane moving around while close in, also at eyelevel I immediately see how throttle controls altitude and how flying either into or with the breeze slows or increases the apparent ground speed of my airplane. Practice can be a fun way to build the proper reactions and reflexes.
Start by flying horizontal eights at treetop height and then find out how tight you can comfortably make them. Try to be able to repeat them at the same size and shape (say, three in a row). Then move in closer and lower.
The whole point is, get comfortable flying! And then fly some more!

Fly long and land softly!.................Mike.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:37 PM
glydrgydr

Default RE: E-Flige Mini Edge 540 Questions

As far as your Transmitter, use it on an aileron trainer to get used to flying with both sticks. Then save your dimes for something newer and with more features. And keep haunting this forum and others between flights you'll learn what's worthwhile and what's not. As long as that old Tx is working use it!
Mike.