Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Indoor flight??

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Indoor flight??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Old Coach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indoor flight??

I need suggestions for my first "indoor" plane.
I have experience with "outdoor" flight.
I have gym access only once a month. Don't want to spend a lot of $$.
I have flown my heli. indoors but not a winged plane. I think it needs to be really SLOW.
THANKS
Coach
Old 05-27-2007, 09:18 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Indoor flight??

Get the IDC from http://chargerrc.com it's awesome.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:32 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

A number of GWS kits are quite good for indoor flight. The GWS Pico Moth, Pico Stick, Pico J3 Cub, and Slow Stick are all terrific indoor flyers. If you fly the Pico Tiger Moth, however, you should check around for a set of wooden wing struts as the plastic struts included with the ARF are too flimsy. The folks at www.allerc.com sell a set of wooden struts for $7.50 or so, but they pop on on EBay and here on RCU from time to time as well.

The Parkzone Slo-V can fly indoors or outdoors, and it's ready-to-fly for $99.

Parkzone also has a new micro electric Cessna 210 Centurion that they just came out with for $149.99 that includes a Spektrum radio.

Sig makes a number of kits and ARFs that are popular for indoor flight including their Fokker DVII, Curtis Jenny, and Bristol Scout biplanes. They also have kits of some pre-WWI aircraft that are wonderful indoor flyers; the Demoiselle is very popular where I fly indoors, and the Antoinette and Deperdussin kits should fly equally as well.

The Global Jazz Bipe is a beautiful slow flyer for indoors. The IFO is popular, and an especially good choice if you want something that's aerobatic and almost indestructable.

Most of the Great Planes Flatouts, Ikarus Shockflyers, and Thunder Tiger EP Profiles are popular choices for indoor flying. I've also heard that some of the E-Flight foam profile planes are terrific flyers, like their new Extra 260 foam profile.

I could go on and on, but I've already names a few dozen good choices. Good luck and good shopping!
Old 05-27-2007, 11:06 PM
ag4ever

hoobbypeople.net have a number of WATTage brand planes.

I have the Jazz classic mono plane, and I have flown it a bit in my street when the wind is not bowig, but I plan to really fly it in a couple weeks at a school. (I am currently building the school, so I have access any time I want, but I need to have the gym cleared of all the stored materials we are using to build the school before I can fly it.)

Most indor planes should not cost you more than $150 to get them in the air assuming you already have a transmiter that can be used with it and a charger.

My Jazz was:
Plane - $30
Reciever $20
Crystal - $6
ESC - $20
Servos - $40 (4g, could save $20 if you use 6g servos)
Battery - $30
Total - $146

I did upgrade the motor to a GWS gear box for a bit more power so that was an extra $20 and got some extra APC props for about $7.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:21 PM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

These guys are right. In haste, I thought you were interested in something that was more aerobatic and light.

The IDC is for experts only. It is, perhaps, the most advanced indoor foamie on the market. Definitely not for beginners.

Get a slow-stick and modify it for ailerons.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:27 AM
acarter

if you are a pretty good pilot you could get a 3d electric with a v-pitch prop then you could really have some fun indoors, but that would cost a bit more
Old 05-28-2007, 06:58 AM
Old Coach

I am getting advice for the Slo-V and the Slow-stick from you guys and the club members.
Which is the better choice?
Of course I will want to modify it later for more performance.
THANKS
Coach
Old 05-28-2007, 09:42 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

If you don't mind some assembly required, you can go with the Slow Stick and have more flexibility selecting your radio system (receiver, servos, etc.) and customizing your power system. The Slo-V is almost the same plane but with a V-tail. The big difference is everything is included in the box and it's ready to charge and fly.

You'll pay more for the privelage of assembling the Slow Stick, but the high quality batteries, radio system, and charger equipment you buy for it can be used for many electric planes yet to come. The bundled radio, flight battery, and charging gear that comes with the Slo-V works fine, but isn't really "hobby quality" equipment.

Both are very good choices, it's really just a matter of whether you want to spend more to build but end up with higher quality electronics, or if you just want a good plane you can get up in the air quickly. With the Slo-V now priced at $99.99, it would be awfully tempting for me to take the shortcut.