Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Stupid Rx question!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Stupid Rx question!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 10:41 PM
rc-plane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Rx question!

I should know this and I feel stupid for asking but....

I have a futaba 7cap and was wondering if I could use a 4 channel rx with my 7cap? I would rather spend $40 then $100. Is there a certain kind of 4 channel rx I need, I looked at tower and there were several diff. kinds.

Please help

Thanks

rc-plane
Old 05-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Tennwalker41-delete
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Stupid Rx question!

U can use any FM reciever as long as is compatible with ur radio regardless of the channel.. U can buy a FM receiver for wayyyyyy less than $100.. Take a look a the Hobbico with crystal for $40 at Tower .. Its also 7 channels. The only place u run into trouble is with PCM everyone is proprietary so that u will buy their products only. FM is universal.. hope this helps
Old 05-29-2007, 01:07 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

More specifically, your Futaba 7CAP radio broadcasts at 72mhz using negative shift, so you'll need a single or dual conversion negative shift or shift selectable/auto-shift receiver.

United Hobbies sells a GWS 8-channel dual conversion receiver that is shift selectable for $24.99 plus $3.99 for the GWS dual-conversion crystal. I have three of them and they work beautifully with my 7CAP radio.

I also use GWS 4 and 6 channel micro receivers with my park flyers. With the micro receivers, GWS makes 2 different versions of each. They call the positive shift model a JR compatible (also works with Airtronics transmitters) and the negative shift model a Futaba (also works with Hitec and Tower Hobbies transmitters).

Your 7CAP will work with most any 72Mhz FM negative shift receiver.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:24 AM
rc-plane

So I should just turn PCM off if I use one of the GWS?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:33 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Be careful to get a "full range" RX unless you are flying a park flyer. Flying a park flyer RX in a regular plane is a disaster waiting to happen.[:@]
Old 05-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another inexpensive receiver gaining a good reputation in the USA is the Berg, now available thru Tower Hobbies. It is a very small but full range receiver available in either 4 channel (about 30-40 bucks) or a 7 channel unit at a higher price. It is a single conversion receiver with some advanced circuitry that provide many features not found in the less expensive receivers.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:53 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: rc-plane
So I should just turn PCM off if I use one of the GWS?
For a non-PCM receiver you do not "turn off" PCM. You change the modulation type from PCM to PPM. See page 28 of the manual.