Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

1st plane build ever.. please help.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

1st plane build ever.. please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:33 AM
nucleusbrains

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st plane build ever.. please help.

Hello,
I am building my first real plane. It's a F4U Corsair 50. It came with one big print and that's all. Where can I find a good step by step instruction manual? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cody G Patterson
Old 05-31-2007, 11:06 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: 1st plane build ever.. please help.

ORIGINAL: nucleusbrains

Hello,
I am building my first real plane. It's a F4U Corsair 50.
Which kit are you building?? Or is this an ARF that you are assembling? If so, which one?

Ken
Old 05-31-2007, 11:10 AM
pt40crasher

I'm assuming this is a kit. Further, I'm going to assume you bought a 'builder's kit' meaning there is little in the way of hand holding throught the build process for the inexperienced. It would pay to do a search for the brand and model in the 'kit building' forum because there very well may be a fully documented build of your airplane there. Otherwise, I'd say put it on the shelf and get an easier build to start with.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/searchpro.asp?forumid=ALL&timefilter=0&top=300&message=both&topicreply=combined&criteria=AND&minrank=10&timeframe=%3E&language=single&sortMethod=d&phrase=corsair[/link]
Old 05-31-2007, 11:19 AM
nucleusbrains

It is the CMP F4U Corsair 50 ARF.
I'm sorry, as I said I am new. I did a search before I posted the help message. I do know how to read the print as I read blueprints in my line of work. The search only comes up with the print that I already have but, they have a step by step manual for the other Corsair.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:25 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem is, they are all different. A step-by-step manual for a Brand "A" Corsair won't help you with a Brand "B" Corsair.

CMP are nice planes, but their manuals are the worst in the business (And you will probably have to replace the landing gear also - Their wire is too soft and bends easily)
Old 05-31-2007, 11:43 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

nucleusbrains,
Ok, thanks for providing that info as it does help us help you. I know that this may sound like it's semantics, but how you phrase it actually causes members here to form opinions about what you have. When you say "build" then most people in the hobby will assume that you have a kit (meaning something built from parts cut out of wood and such). When you say "assemble" then most will assume that you have an ARF (as ARF's usually come as major assemblies that need to be assembled into the plane). So for your CMP Corsair ARF it would be that it needs assembled.

Now for the bad news, this CMP ARF may not be a great choice. Several reasons for this. First off is that warbirds are inherently difficult planes to fly, especially for a new pilot. Second is that CMP products are notorious for having very poor manuals with little to no instructions for assembly. Most of these are usually 4-5 picture instructions and it's up to the modeler to figure out how to get them together from those instructions. For modelers that have some experience under their belt this can be daunting for them, and nearly impossible for newer pilots (as you may be finding out). Modelers with exerience can usually figure out how to get it together.

So with this in mind what do I recommend? Two choices. First of which is to put the plane up until you've got a couple other planes under belt first. Second, find a modeler at your local club that might be willing to help you put it together. This would be my recommendation to help you get it together. Whatever you choose please don't get in a hurry, as that's a sure fire way to doom a plane. As you are still learning on your trainer you have plenty of time before you are ready for this plane.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 05-31-2007, 12:03 PM
pt40crasher

One more pointer, never 'assume' anything.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:25 PM
nucleusbrains

Thank's Ken. Well I am figuring out that it's just like the Richo plant's my company have installed. Anyway I am not gonna give up. The reason I went ahead and bought this kit is because my Father flew a Corsair in WW2 the Japaneese called them "screaming death bird's" or so my Father told me. I know i'm not gonna be flying this anytime soon but I want my Father to see it taxi around at least before he passes away. My Wife is extremly good with an airbrush kit so she has already blocked down the whole plane and customized the paint. It looks identical to the one my Pop flew in the War and he doesn't know that we are doing this for him. I have to get this plane "assembled"
Thank you for your time and help.
Cody G. Patterson
Old 05-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Big feet

Ah yes, the word assume. When one makes the assume mistake, it makes an 'ass' of 'u' and 'me', assume.

See, I did listen at school.

Nucleusbrains, I understand your reason fully. Ken is right, if you feel you need to build this model soon, then ask another modeller in your club for help. You get three upsides, 1 the model gets built. 2 You gain experience. And 3 you get to know someone in your club better, always a good thing.

Once built, even though I agree WW2 models are difficult to fly, if an experienced modeller took the model up for you, your father could see you fly it, even if you put it on a buddy box just to be safe.

Hope this one works out for you.

Cheers,
Old 05-31-2007, 12:41 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Cody,
I totally understand where you are coming from on this. My advice would be to see if you can find somebody in a local club that could help you. Explain why you need the help and I bet you can find somebody that will step up and help.

Ken
Old 05-31-2007, 01:59 PM
felixone

If you don't know of any local clubs the AMA is a good source. Go to this link to search for AMA clubs near you...

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

I did a search on 30641, and found 4 clubs within 25 miles of you. There is contact information (including websites) for all of the clubs around you. This should definitely get you to where you need to be the fastest.

Good luck, I hope things turn out well for you.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:32 PM
nucleusbrains

Thank you. I just joined the AMA a few day's ago and I'm waiting for my membership card now. After I recieve that I'm definantly going to join "Friendly Fliers" In Jersey Ga. So far I have only been flying on my property, 200 acres of which 20 is an open field. I had a little Piper Cub RTF elec. I started with. Then I got my .40 Trainer and have taught myself how to takeoff and land. I can land alot better now than I could 2 month's ago, it's becoming second nature. BTW I have gotten about half way through the assembly of the Corsair. I could pull my hair out !! [:@]
Thank you everyone. I will put pic's of my Father's Corsair and my scale Corsair when finished.
Cody
Old 06-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Big feet

ORIGINAL: nucleusbrains

I will put pic's of my Father's Corsair and my scale Corsair when finished.
Cody
Sounds good. Look forward to seeing them.