Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

trainer set up

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

trainer set up

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Nwerdna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trainer set up

Ok, I'm just getting into RC stuff and I'm wanting to get a trainer. I'm contimplating geting an Arising Star 40 ARF trainer which just includes all the hardware to finish the frame. I need to know what else i need to get. Could y'all give me a general list of all the necessary parts-motors, radio stuff, feul pumps ect. and links to where I can find them? I could just go to a model shop but I really would like to make this project as cheaply as possible without ending up with a trashy plane. So I think that if I piece together a plane it will end up less expensive. I'm hoping to keep this progject under 200$ because I if it goes over this much I might as well get a RTF flyer for about 250$!

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2007, 02:27 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: trainer set up

What are you paying for the Arising Star 40 ARF so we know what we have to work with? Might just tell you to get the RTF.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXCXF4**&P=ML
Old 06-01-2007, 02:46 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

The Arising Star by Seagull Models is a nice trainer and a bargain at its typical $79.99 sale price. It would fly well with the $49.99 Super Tigre GS-40 engine. Any good sport radio package like the Futaba 4YF, the JR Quattro, the Hitec Laser 4, or the Airtronics VG400, would fly the Arising Star and all are available for $119.99 from various sources.

Unfortunately, this puts you at $249.97 plus tax and/or shipping and handling. You still have to buy fuel line ($2.19), a propeller ($2.89), and a spinner ($5.99) to complete the basic building of the plane.

You will also need a glow ignitor with charger, fuel pump, a fuel cap kit and fuel line for the pump, a 4-way prop/glow wrench, and a chicken stick or electric starter and battery to start the plane. You will need fuel. You will need thin CA glue, 30 min epoxy, and other miscellaneous building supplies to assemble your ARF.

Please consider the Thunder Tiger Easy Fly 40H Super Combo with Side Kick field accessory package:

http://www.thundertiger4u.com/easy-t...k-p-13081.html

This package includes a high quality glow-powered trainer with pre-installed radio system, .40-sized glow engine, and pretty much everything you need to go fly it except a bottle of fuel. At $259.99, it's an amazing bargain.

You can read a review of the Easy Fly 40 here:

http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?CatID=1&ID=124

Unfortunately, the folks at http://www.thundertiger4u.com use the same generic description from the Ace Hobby website for both the ARF and the "Super Combo plus Side Kick" items.

The $259.99 includes the Easy Trainer 40H airframe with engine and radio system pre-installed. The engine is a Thunder Tiger GP-42 2-stroke; it's powerful, reliable, and easy to tune. The radio system is the Hitec Laser 4. The fuel tank is installed and plummed. There is a prop and spinner included.

The Side Kick flight accessory pack also comes included at the $259.99 price point. This includes the glow ignitor and charger, manual fuel pump, 4-way glow/prop wrench, fuel cap kit and fuel line, chicken stick, and even a cardboard carrying caddy.

The folks at http://www.thundertiger4u.com also ship all orders $150 or higher for free.

The Easy Fly 40H airframe is the one with the semi-symmetrical wing, like the Hangar 9 Arrow or Hobbico Avistar. It will fly better in windy conditions and will be more aerobatic once the student masters basic flight and wants to start practicing inverted flight, cuban eights, outside loops, and the like.

Hopefully the folks at thundertiger4u.com will update their item description to make it more clear. I have purchased from them myself, so I have no trouble recommending them. They have great prices, they communicate well when you order or ask a question, and they ship fast.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Nwerdna

ok-so I guess a RTF is probablly going to end up cheaper than a ARF flyer? Thanks so much for the imput! The Easy Fly 40 sounds like a great choice! I also looked at the plane that bruce mentioned and it's a few dollars cheaper. Which model would you guys recommend?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2007, 07:28 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Well, ironically enough, I own and fly a Tower Trainer .40 MkII that I bought and built as an ARF. It's a very good airframe, basically the same as the Hobbico Superstar .40 glow trainer rebranded for Tower. The Tower Hobbies 4-channel sport radio that is bundled with it is basically the same as the Futaba 4YF sport radio, also very good equipment. The Tower Hobbies .46 ABC engine bundled with the RTF is a very powerful glow motor, but can be a bit trickier to tune than most.

Tower's new monthly promotion is $30 off any order of $199.99 or more. The RTF package is still on sale for $249.99, so your cost delivered would be $228.98. You'd still need to buy basic field equipment, which would put the two planes at almost exactly the same cost.

I think the quality of airframes is equal. Most pilots would rate the Thunder Tiger as slightly better because of the semi-symmetrical airfoil being better for aerobatics. Having flown the Tower Trainer .40 MkII, I think it's a terrific flying plane, and I've been surprised at how well it flies various manuevers.

In terms of radios, the Hitec Laser 4 that comes with the TT Easy Fly 40H is just a tiny bit better because of the end-point adjustment and v-tail/elevon mixing options that are built into it. These are features not found on other 4-channel non-computer radio systems for the most part.

In terms of engines, I'm going to create a bit of controversy by picking the TT GP-42 as better than the Tower .46 ABC. The GP-42 is a bushing engine with an airbleed carburator, but has a wonderful reputation for good power output, great reliability, and it's regarded as one of the easiest-to-tune engines on the planet. The Tower Hobbies .46 ABC is a ball-bearing engine with twin needles and a much higher power output; on paper it looks better. In the real world, however, they can be trickier to tune, the power output is way beyond anything needed to fly the Tower Trainer .40 MkII, and they don't have the reputation for reliability that the GP-42 has. The Tower .46 ABC is still a good engine, however, I just think the GP-42 is a better fit for a .40-sized trainer.

In the final analysis, these two planes are so closely matched in features and performance that I really think it boils down to personal preference. The one X-factor to this discussion should probably be Tower Hobbies. I've purchased from http://www.thundertiger4u.com before, and I like their customer service. I've bought far more from Tower Hobbies, however, and they've set the gold standard for customer service in the hobby industry. Purchasing from Tower Hobbies will just about guarantee that you'll have a hassle-free purchasing experience.

Buy the plane that you like the best, but if you're nervous about spending $260 over the Internet, Tower's customer service should probably be the deciding factor.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:09 AM
Nwerdna

It sort of seems that the Thunder Tiger Easy Fly 40H still needs some parts that the towers doesn't. It says
Accessories Needed

* Radio Set - 4 Channel radio, x4 standard servos, Receiver and battery pack, lead for balancing, Foam rubber padding
(Approx. 1/4 thick).
* Engine - Airplane engine (GP.42-PRO.40-.46, F-54s), Glow Plug, Glow Fuel (10% - 15%), 1.5V Glow Starter,
12V Fuel Pump, 12V Battery, 12V Electric Starter, Glow Plug Wrench.

Is this saying that I still need to get a engine, servos, and receiver? I'm confused!
Old 06-02-2007, 07:53 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No, that stuff comes with it. They are just using the same specs that they use for the ARF version (In other words, it's a screw-up on the web page)

BTW, there are two more expences you need to consider.

1) AMA Dues
2) Club Dues

From the way you are talking, it sounds like you're going to try to do this on your own - Don't

If you do, your $250 investment will be a pile of splinters in about 7 seconds after takeoff.

Find the club in your area, they will be happy to help you out
Old 06-02-2007, 12:35 PM
opjose

Like he said, finding a club and joining can't be stressed enough!

There are MANY benefits, and your plane will be far more likely to last you for a while if you do this.

Often you'll walk away with another plane thanks to club raffles, etc...

Clubs also often have trainers that you can use during FREE training sessions.

Remember though that the club members do this for fun... I've seen people join a club and demand attention and benefits... it doesn't work this way...

Your dues help keep up the club and field... Your AMA dues keep this sport alive and you out of trouble.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Nwerdna

Ok, thanks for the imput! I am planning on joining a club I just haven't had the time to yet! Thought I would just start seeing what kind of stuff was out there...

Thanks agian!
Old 06-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: Nwerdna

Ok, thanks for the imput! I am planning on joining a club I just haven't had the time to yet! Thought I would just start seeing what kind of stuff was out there...

Thanks agian!
Hello Nwerdna. I know you are excited about flying as was I. However, I understand where you are at deciding between the ARF and RTF for cost but I think that once you get out there and fly you will be addicted and will of course buy more planes. I would suggest if is a decision between I have $250 now and in a few weeks I have $400. I would wait just that extra couple of weeks. I went through the same thing. I had been flying with a trainer at the airfield on his plane and wanted my plane like yesterday. He talked me into just flying his plane and get what you want. Especially when it comes to the radio. I almoste bought a cheaper 4 channel plane and I am glad I didn't. I have been flying sinc January and already have 2 more planes and just added a Stryker that I have with upgraded electronics and I don't have to have another transmitter to carry to the field. All my planes are on 1 transmitter. Makes it nice to not have to remember a bunch a transmitters to go to the field. Plus the computer radios have so much more to offer. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck with your choice. You even go to your local hobby shop and ask if they have any kind of specials or wheel and deal. I got a Eeagle trainer and Futaba 6EXAP for $230 and I got a Super Tigre 40 for free. I saved $50. Just never know until you look or ask.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:46 PM
opjose

That's another good point...

I had purchased planes at our LHS, but never thought to ask about club specials.

One day I went in look for a trainer for my daughter.

The LHS staff member asked me if I was in the local club... and when I said yes, I got 15% additional off the Alpha 40 RTF trainer ( over the 10% offered for their "membership" cards... ).

Not bad. This almost covered my dues alone!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:59 AM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to add my $.02. I've had both the Tower Trainer and the Thunder Tiger East Trainer 40H. Towers has a iron iron covering that is more durable and puncture resistance than Thunder Tigers contact papers covering. The colors on the Thunder Tigers is printed on and if you get any CA kicker on it the color runs. Also after a while fuel gets under the seams and starts to peel off on the Thunder Tiger. The landing gear on the Thunder Tiger is way too soft and you'll find yourself re bending the gear all the time. The Thunder Tiger starts looking real trashy after a short time. The Tower Trainer covering is more durable but sometimes the trim starts coming off; however of the 2 I would recommend the Tower over the Thunder Tiger.