Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need to pick a model...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need to pick a model...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:41 AM
surjer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to pick a model...

Hello all,

I received a HobbyZone Supercub 3-channel RC plane for xmas this past year. I have since joined the AMA and have been seeking a club close by. (Virginia Beach Area).

I would like to build a new RC plane but have no idea where to start. My father-in-law is building a static P-51 model out of balso and it seams as if you could do the same sort of thing for an RC plane. Is there such a thing as a "Build from Scratch" plane? I am looking for something to build and eventually fly. Untill then I will practice with my trainer. (Still havent found a field to practice in so its so far just been time on RealFlight G3.5)
Old 06-04-2007, 11:52 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Need to pick a model...

You CAN build a plane from scratch, but most of us would recommend you get a kit first.

There are a LOT of things about building that you need to learn, like where to use epoxy, where to double up with plywood for strength, etc.

Find a kit by one of the better kit makers (Great Planes, Goldberg, SIG) You'll be glad you did!
Old 06-04-2007, 12:04 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Minn is correct for the first effort. If you can tell us the type of plane and the approx size you are interested in we may be able to direct you to a few choices. Try to remember that as good as a warbird looks they are difficult to fly for a beginning flyer. Their speed and wingloading can make them very tricky. There are a number of sport or trainer planes available in kit form for you to build and learn on. Then you can move on to building from a set of plans. Just building "off the top of your head" is extremely hard to do, even for experts if that is what you are thinking about. It takes a lot of planning and making some drawings before any wood work is done.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:15 PM
surjer

Sorry for the confusion. I guess what I was asking is what is a good "Kit" to start out with for a 1st time builder. After the suggestion of Great Planes I looked them up and this plane seams to be fairly friendly to a new guy...

Great Planes PT-40 MkII Trainer Kit

I really want to do the J-3 piper cub as this is what my grandad learned to fly on (a real one) but it might not be such a good idea for a new person with no experience.. What do you guys think?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:25 PM
MinnFlyer

The PT 40 is an excellent plane to start out with (Make sure you build the more advanced version of the wing, the Less advanced version has way too much dihedral)

And you're right, a Cub is not a good place to start, but it's a great goal to look forward to in the future!
Old 06-04-2007, 01:57 PM
surjer

Awesome - Thanks MinnFlyer. Its going to be a little bit before I purchase anything new (Need to find a field to fly my current plane in) before I can justify building anything new... I just want to do my homework before wasting my money on something and ruining my love for the hobby. If you start out educated you are sure to have a more pleasent experience I would assume!

Where would I go to find a local field to fly in? All the clubs have membership dues and none of them are really close to where I live. I just need a field in Virginia Beach somewhere to fly...
Old 06-04-2007, 01:59 PM
bruce88123

Good kit choice and correct about the Cub. As Minn said, something to look forward to. Build and fly the PT-40. Then build and store the Cub for a while if you wish. You'll have it ready when YOU'RE ready.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:03 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: surjer

Awesome - Thanks MinnFlyer. Its going to be a little bit before I purchase anything new (Need to find a field to fly my current plane in) before I can justify building anything new... I just want to do my homework before wasting my money on something and ruining my love for the hobby. If you start out educated you are sure to have a more pleasent experience I would assume!

Where would I go to find a local field to fly in? All the clubs have membership dues and none of them are really close to where I live. I just need a field in Virginia Beach somewhere to fly...
Check with your local hobby shop (LHS). They should have some ideas. When at the LHS, ask the guys wandering around buying planes. Lastly, do a member search on RCU for people in your area and see if they can help.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:04 PM
MinnFlyer

As you said, If you start out educated you are sure to have a more pleasent experience. Find a club and join it!

Little park fliers are fine for a little park, but once you get into 40-size glow planes you really NEED to use a proper flying field for a LOT of reasons
Old 06-04-2007, 02:09 PM
surjer

I plan to join the club but I would like a field to fly in during the week. The clubs I have visited use a "Buddy Box" to train the new guys. My plane doesnt have that capability so they are willing to train me on their club's trainer. I would like to be able to use my plane for something tho. I would hate to own a plane i have no where to fly... Maybe i get trained up on their trainer and when I am ready to fly solo I can just use my SuperCub... Would be nice to fly through the week tho. Back when I was in Ohio i had a great field across the street. Made 2 successfull flights back in the winter. I have since moved to VB and I have no idea where to find an open field. I will find a local hobby shop and ask around.

Thanks for the tip,

Jerry
Old 06-04-2007, 03:45 PM
surjer

Sweet - A local guy recomended flying at a School Yard. I said who do I ask for permission. he said its public property. Just make sure that no one is using the field like track or soccer or football and its after school hours. Shouldnt be too hard to find a school yard!!!

Also is there a glossery of commonly used terms? Right now I am trying to figure out what LE is. Also Wing loading...

Would be helpfull if there was a term list somwhere.. L
Old 06-04-2007, 03:50 PM
MinnFlyer

http://www.greatplanes.com/glossary.html
Old 06-04-2007, 03:54 PM
surjer

Awesome - thanks again! What a great site this is! I appreciate all the help!
Old 06-04-2007, 03:56 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: surjer

Also is there a glossery of commonly used terms? Right now I am trying to figure out what LE is. Also Wing loading...

Would be helpfull if there was a term list somwhere.. L
At the top of the page is a link to "RC Community"
In the drop-down is "RC University"
Then "RC Glossary"

Most likely, LE refers to leading edge of a wing or control surface. The other thing that comes to mind is 'Law Enforcement.'
Old 06-04-2007, 06:33 PM
bruce88123

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/glossary.cfm
Old 06-04-2007, 06:40 PM
bruce88123

Wing loading - In aerodynamics, wing loading is the loaded weight of the aircraft divided by the area of the wing.

It's not in the glossary. Also try looking things up in Google.