Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

About a second plane.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

About a second plane.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:05 AM
plugin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About a second plane.

Which do you prefer as a second plane?

Hangar-9 Pulse XT 40
Sig Four-Star 40
Goldberg Tiger 2 40
Ugly Stick

I like the looks of the Pulse XT but I want an opinion from you guys.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:39 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: About a second plane.

I have flown all but the Pulse XT

My personal favorite "Second Plane" of the other 3 is the Tiger II, but all 3 (4 including what I have heard about the Pulse) are excellent. You raelly can't go wrong with any of them.

It depends on what type of performance YOU are looking for.

Of the last 3, the Tiger is the most stable, but very aerobatically capable

The Stik is the least stable and most aerobatic, and the 4* is between the two
Old 06-05-2007, 07:43 AM
jetmech05

My second was the 4*60. flew it for over 2 years
Old 06-05-2007, 07:59 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

The Pulse XT should be the last choice. I have had one and found it to be a well constructed good flying plane, BUT it is far less robust in construction than the other choices. It will not stand up to the occassional rough treatment 2d planes often get.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:40 AM
opjose

Stiks are fun.

And to quote others here...

"Everyone should have a Stik".

For me, lately whenever the winds are high, out comes the Stik.

I've seen the light.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:46 AM
cruzomatic
My Feedback: (17)

You're asking for opinions, here goes mine. I've flown both the stick and the 4*40 and own a 4*60. I liked the 4* line better between the two. Here's a pic of my 60.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93302.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	698104  
Old 06-05-2007, 05:39 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I own a Thunder Tiger Tiger Stick .40 and a Goldberg Tiger 2. I've been flying them both for three seasons now. I've moved up to entry level pattern planes, which are a blast to fly. I still fly the Tiger Stick and the Tiger 2 regularly though because they're both terrific flying airplanes and both are tough as nails, too.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:50 PM
plugin

Is a Sig Somethin' Extra too much too handle as second plane? I know it goes beyond the capabilities of the ones I listed, but I figured I'd ask.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:52 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: plugin

Is a Sig Somethin' Extra too much too handle as second plane? I know it goes beyond the capabilities of the ones I listed, but I figured I'd ask.
It really depends on your flying skills. It could theoretically be a second plane if you keep the control throws low but it won't be nearly as forgiving as the others you mentioned. Personally, I would make the Somthin' Extra a 3rd plane. Some people could probably pull it off though.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:17 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Biged, Are you planning on flying any pattern competitions, or just using pattern planes to hone your skills?

Plugin, I have a Tiger II, and a Tiger 60. Great flying airplanes with very good aerobatic performance, but
still able to glide in nice and slow for a smooth easy landing. Just watch the CG as they tend to be tail heavy.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:21 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: overbored77

Biged, Are you planning on flying any pattern competitions, or just using pattern planes to hone your skills?
For now pattern flying is something that I aspire to. I'm trying to learn sportsman and intermediate level aerobatics to improve my skills and increase the variety of manuevers that I can comfortably do.

http://www.nsrca.org/scheduleA.htm

If I think I'm getting pretty good at it and I can trim my planes well enough without turning a hobby into a chore, I might consider competing at some point in the future.

http://www.nsrca.org/trimA.htm

If you read the trim chart at the above link, you'll get an idea of what I mean. It makes my head want to explode just reading through that whole thing.

In any event, a good entry level pattern ARF like the GP Venus .40 or the Phoenix Seabee is wildly fun to fly and a good "third" airplane. Even if I never compete in pattern, having planes like these are a hoot out at the field.

My club hosts the Omaha Pattern Championship every year, and we have several good pattern flyers. Several of them have 2M competition planes, YS 140 engines, Futaba 14MZs, and the like. I'm going to have to really, really love pattern competition to drop that kind of money.

For now, I'm just having fun learning the various manuevers and trying to fly round loops instead of ovals.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:39 AM
plugin

How could I do a self test to determine if I can handle a Somethin' Extra as a second plane? Say if I got to the point at which I can roll, loop, immelman, do Cuban eights, do whole lazy eights inverted with a nexstar, could I handle it?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:08 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have access to an experienced pilot that can buddy box you on the SSE and help set up low rates? If yes, then go for it. The SSE has no bad habbits like snapping when stalled and that is what gets newbies on their second plane more than anything. It's easy to take off and land. Where you may get in trouble is if you get the ARF it looks almost the same on top as it does on bottom and it can roll so fast it is easy to get confused/disoriented. Keep it high enough when your horsing around to recover from a full 2 second loss of orientation.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Krist

Pulse is my vote. It was my second plane, and is simple to build. It is also my favorite, as it is fun to fly and gives you alot of freedom. Put a Thunder Tiger Pro 46 on it, and it will fly great. As for it breaking easy, the only think that breaks on mine is the tail wheel, and it's easy as cake to fix. Have fun
Old 06-09-2007, 04:27 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Hanger 9 Pulse, and Hanger 9 PTS Mustang. I'm sure there are others out there, but I've had good results with the Mustang. The Mustang is my second Glow Plane... I love it! Plus it's training me one day for Scale Warbirds. I figure a few more planes... I'll be ready. The guys in my club didn't think I was ready for it... but after 4 flights with working flaps, they were impressed. I have had over 200 flights in the past last year with my Goldberg Eagle and Wing Dragon... not including how many hours I've had on the flight sims.

When I started flying the PTS Mustang, I removed all the trainer stuff on it. Believe me... it's a "Hot Rod! " Hmmm, I'd love to put a 4 blade prop and Spinner in 1/9" scale.

Luftwaffe Oberst
Radio Aero Modelers Club
AMA # 856404
Pulaski, NY