Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engine placement

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine placement

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:52 PM
rabraaten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine placement

Just getting the new H9 Arrow together. I was wondering about engine placement in the mount. How far forward do you usually place the engine? Dead centre in the middle of the mount left to right?....How bout left thrust right thrust. The ARF manual says parallel to the centreline of the plane but doesn't say anything about where in the mount. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan
Old 06-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine placement

Just center it in the mount. I just put one together and maidened it today. It's a very nice flyer.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:06 PM
broke_n_bummin

Ummmmm ... normally, the backplate of the spinner sould be even with or maybe 1/8 inch in front of the end of the engine compartment. But that's just normally. I've never had an H9 Arrow. It may be one of those "Put it where you want" type planes.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Mr67Stang

The mount is one of those clamp style mounts so you do not have to drill any holes. You are limited to about 1/4 inch forward or aft placement and maybey a degree or two of side thrust but it mostly centered out of mine. My plane tracks increadably well on it's take off roll needing minor rudder input during initial power up then none for the rest of the roll.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:16 PM
rabraaten

This is my second Arrow. The first went three quarter throttle straight in....Dumb thumbs that day. I really like the way it flew though so I went with the same plane. I had the linkage all set nicely. Full range on the transmitter was full range on the carb. Ran a bit of fuel through it just to make sure that it was still running fine and saw that I had the engine cranked to one side and really deep in the mount. As I have already set the linkage for the placement forward and back ward I am inclined to move it back there and just make sure its straight and in/near the middle. I did find that the clevis was bumping on the front mount screw head. I don't remember it being that close on the first one. Could you take a look at yours Stang and see what it looks like for me?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Mr67Stang

I am at work right now but I would be happy to post a picture (top down view) tommorow afternoon in this thread if you would like???
Old 06-05-2007, 10:36 PM
rabraaten

Come on fellas....everyone's opinion is what I'm after...I'm looking to build the crashed plane into a mid-wing or a shoulder-wing as a second...That'll be the only way I can get more than one into the hangar (over my side of the bed) for now. Thanks
Old 06-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Mr67Stang

Okay, I snuck out of work early so here are the pictures. Totally by accedent and with no premeditation I got the engine set back most of the way and slightly turned to the right in the mount. We all know that right thrust can help ground handling and I guess I got this one right enough as it handles great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca83058.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	698508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33559.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	698509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30927.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	698510  
Old 06-10-2007, 09:44 PM
rabraaten

I got my engine all set up as far back as it would fit and dead straight. I guess it doesn't really affect the ground handling as much as we might think cuz mine tracks dead straight too. LOL. I went out yesterday and maidened it (and soloed at the same time). It flys just as well as Arrow #1 which shall herein be known as Dart. Got five 10-15 minute flights in with no issues and only two clicks of left aileron. Since my regular instructor wasn't around and I had a little more freedom I got some altitude and tried some more aerobatic stuff. Got used to the plane not flying straight and level. Hopefully I see an instructor again soon so I can get my papers signed and get my wings. A great weekend all in all.