Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New to R/C

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New to R/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:32 AM
ChargerF18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to R/C

Hello, Im new to all of this but a aviation enthusiast!!! I want to start flying r/c aircarft mostly parkflyers and such. What would be a good trainer aircraft?? Im looking for something that is indistructable because i know i will be crashing!!!! Should i start with a foamy or what would be my best option??? Also looking for a RTF Aircaft???

Thanks
Old 06-10-2007, 12:43 AM
mbilar1

Default RE: New to R/C

Ahhh you came to the right place for advice... here it comes...
Old 06-10-2007, 01:12 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you want to avoid crashing,and focus on learning, consider joing a club, with instruction as well as valuable information about planes, and RC in general,a club will provide instruction for free and might even have trainers available to use as part of your membership, or purchase fairly cheap depending on the club.
if you are interested in electric then there is a pretty large selection available,check RCKen's thread on the top of the beginner forum for a list of trainers you might find something that interests you.
where do you want to end up in RC, glow powered scale, 3D, racing,electric powered,there is a huge amount of choices where you start can save you some cash in the short term as well as the long term.
another thing, you might think about joining the AMA, it provides insurance coverage as well as a magazine included with your membership.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:08 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I tried starting out on an electric parkflyer aircraft, but I didn't have much success with it. After spending a few weeks bouncing it off of various school yards and soccer fields, I heard about a local flying club and went there to check it out. They let me fly one of their club trainers with a flight instructor and I was instantly hooked!

The larger glow-powered aircraft are easier to learn to fly because they're much more resilient to being pushed around by the wind and they have more positive steering control. Once I learned to fly my .40-sized balsa trainer, I found I could also fly my parkflyer aircraft a lot better.

There are a few good ready-to-fly electric parkflyers that are fairly well suited for the new pilot looking to learn on his own. The Hobbyzone Super Cub RTF was designed from the ground up for the beginning pilot, and by most all accounts is very well suited for this task.

The Parkzone Slo-V is another excellent ready-to-fly electric for the pilot with no experience. The Slo-V can't handle a lot of wind, but once you get the hang of it you'll actually be able to fly it indoors in a gymnasium-sized setting when the weather prevents you from flying outside.

While it is possible to learn to fly on your own, you should be prepared to purchase replacement wings, tail assemblies, and propellers on a regular basis. The availability of spare parts should be an important factor in your final purchasing decision.

When I decided to try an electric aircraft first, it was because I thought glow-powered airplanes would be a lot more expensive and a lot more complicated. Both assumptions turned out to be false. A good glow-powered ready-to-fly trainer package starts out around $229 with engine and radio system, and once your basic flight accessories are put together, your only added expensive is buying a gallon of fuel at your local hobby store once every couple of months or so.

If you have no interest in larger glow-powered aircraft or looking around for a local flying club, that's no problem. A Hobbyzone Super Cub and a platinum Visa card for the spare parts will get you flying eventually. Contacting a local flight club and working with an instructor will be much less expensive, and probably far more rewarding, in the long run.

There are at least 7 AMA chartered flying clubs within 25 miles of Appleton, WI including the Valley Aero Modellers club located right in Appleton.

To see the whole list, simply visit http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx and input your zip code for a listing of clubs in the Green Bay and Oshkosh area.