Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Next after Electristar

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Next after Electristar

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:11 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next after Electristar

Ok....I am ready for something with a bit more oommf and aerobatic ability. I started with an Electristar. Its ok...seems a tad underpowered and not very aerobatic. I just ordered a GP Super Sportster. I am trying to figure out if I am truly ready for a low wing. I was thinking of shelving it and picking up an Avistar and trying my hands at it for a bit. What do you guys think? From Electristar to Super Sportster or to Avistar?
Old 06-10-2007, 08:33 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Next after Electristar

If you're not sure, go ahead and start with the Avistar. The Super Sportster can be set up for leisurely sport flying, but with full throws and an above-average engine it can turn into a nimble rocket very quickly. The Avistar will be a good bridge between the two planes, and is a good sport flyer in its own right.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:37 PM
ro347

Ive ordered the Super Sportster with an OS .46AX. I wouldnt mind playing it safe with the Avistar because all equipment can be used in both planes. Ive seen the Avistar fly and it is really great. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:26 AM
carrellh

If you're really comfortable flying and landing your trainer, you might skip the Avistar and go with a Big Stik 40. It will work well with the 46AX and is a more aerobatic plane than the trainer.

After writing that I will tell you that I have a Big Stik 60 and it is too responsive for me with the control throws set at the recommended amounts. I'd definitely recommend doing the first flight or two with a buddy box; or with a really good pilot standing by to help.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:19 AM
ro347

I am comfortable flying and landing my trainer. I just dont know if flyign a lowing vs a high wing si much different in the air. Is it harder to keep lever?...resposiveness etc?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:29 AM
carrellh

For 100 bucks, versus 125 for a Big Stik, I definitely cannot recommend against the Avistar. Lots of people use it as their primary trainer and some use it as a second plane. The Big Stik is a high wing model, with tricycle landing gear, so there are some things about it that are similar to the trainers. The Big Stik wing has little dihedral compared to the trainers.

I guess the main difference I see between trainers and most 'second planes' is the fact that you always have to tell the more advanced plane what to do. That doesn't mean you're always having to wiggle the sticks though. The plane will fly straight and level, or in whatever attitude you put it, until you tell it to do something different.

When you fly your trainer: When you bank it with aileron, then let the stick go back to neutral, the plane eventually will tend to level the wings. A high wing plane with little or no dihedral (like a Big Stik), and most low wing planes, will tend to stay banked until you give opposite aileron to level the wings. My instructor taught me to do that with my trainer. He said, even though the trainer will try to level the wings on its own, it is better to learn to do it from the start.

I have only flown one low wing plane, a Sig Astro Hog (in my picture), and I did not think it was any different than flying a high wing plane. It does require me to level the wings after a turn (and point it where I want it to go) but it is very stable and easy to control.