Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

1st Plane - Sig Kadet EP-42?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

1st Plane - Sig Kadet EP-42?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:24 AM
fotomatt1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Plane - Sig Kadet EP-42?

I've been building both electric and gas R/C cars for a long time now (upwards of 10 years) and I have been feeling like it's time to make the jump to airplanes. I'm an aviation fanatic, and have become completely bored with cars.

I've been debating between gas and electric, and have all but decided on electric mainly because electric is easy for me and it's one less thing to worry about when my primary concern is learning to fly. I've been looking at several options, and have become interested in the Sig Kadet EP-42. Would this be a good choice? What is everybody's opinion? I'm also open to any suggestions on the gas vs. electric debate.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Showtime100

Default RE: 1st Plane - Sig Kadet EP-42?

As a newbie myself you can take my advice with a grain of salt but I bought the Hobby Zone Super Cub and I love it. It is a very very durable airplane that looks good and seems to fly very well. At full throttle it really moves along.
I can attest to its durability because last night I decided to fly in an area with a Utility pole behind me thinking that I would keep the plane in front of me always. Well, if something is around a newbie will hit it and sure enough I was doing a fly by and forgot about the pole. As the plane flew just over my head I accidently turned the wrong way and flew it directly into the pole. It hit dead center, which was fortunate as an inch in either direction and wing would likely have been severed. Anyways, no damage. I was shocked.
I have video of it so when I get time I'll post it. Kinda funny but it is a valuable lesson.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:07 PM
jmurphy18

Have you looked at the list Ken put up? Good info here
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm]Trainers[/link]

Yesterday Biged put up a thread on the Tunder Tiger kits Thundertiger4u is their site. Price was good on these and planes are suppose to be real good. Just ask Bigedmustaffa
Old 06-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will say that I have been very interested in the Kadet EP 42. It's atractive, four channel, and it's Sig. You can't go wrong... as long as you take the proper steps (this is the que to go find a club and an instructor). I fly a lot of glow and only have one electric (a little 3ch Cub) and it is not a foamie. I do not like foam. I think foam is ugly and should be used for holding my coffee, not for building planes. Balsa is infinitely repairable where as foam has limitations. (okay so does balsa but when you get to that point you cut it out and replace it with more balsa). The Kadet EP 42 is on my buy list even though I am well past the trainer stage. I will say that if you do go that route I would upgrade to a brushle$$ an Li-Po$ first as the underpowered stock set up will only make it harder to fly. In general small planes react much quicker to your inputs and are, for that reason, harder to fly.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

If your recommending a brushless motor, he could consider the hobbico electric star.

Jim
Old 06-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: Jim_Purcha

If your recommending a brushless motor, he could consider the hobbico electric star.

Jim
Yes I was recommending a brushless motor. The Electristar at 63 inches is a whole new class of plane. I guess I assumed he wanted smaller and atractive
Old 06-14-2007, 05:52 AM
B.L.E.

I looked up this plane and it looks like a 1/2 size version of the Kadet Senior which is one of the best first airplanes ever designed. It's made out balsa wood, not plastic foam. The Kadet line of planes also are not boring once you have soloed, particularly with a brushless/lipo upgrade. I say go for it.
Your RC car experience is going to be a big help and your learning curve is going to be much steeper than someone who is learning how to fly and learning how to control a vehicle by radio control at the same time.
This plane is a little too big and fast to be a park flyer though so plan on joining a flying club which means you will need to join the AMA for insurance reasons.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 AM
BalsaBrkr

I own a Kadet EP-42 and it helped me learn to fly. I would recommend it if you are going to get help with your initial flights.

If you are going to try and learn alone, then I would strongly recommend a foam plane (Easystar #1 recommendation) and a simulator.

I started in this hobby last spring and learned on my own using a foam plane and a simulator. My progression has been pretty steady and I am currently flying a 60 size extra and .25 size glo edge 540 at the club field, have a 3-d hobbyshop electric Extra for the park and a hanger of other stuff.... It took a lot of time and effort to get where I am now...

If you get the Kadet EP-42 be aware that the supplied engine is barely sufficient. It will take a long distance to take off and climb rates will be slow. Grass takes offs from anything but a putting green will be impossible. Upgrading to a brushless is highly recommended, boardering on mandatory.

The plane is extremely well build and very strong. Balsa is very repairable, but if you're literally tossing a plane in the air for the first time and are alone definately go with foam. An average Balsa crash might require 1 - 5 hours of repair. A similar foam crash can often be addressed at the field. Also, foam replacement parts are cheaper and easier to install.

Regarding a motor for the Kadet, something around the size of the E-Flight Park 450 is ideal. I use an inexpensive chinese motor and speed control. (combined costs around $45)

With a brushless the plane is as aerobatic as a flat-bottom winged model can be... Loops, inverted flight, axial rolls, snaps, etc are all possible. Inverted loops are a struggle, but possible.

I recently built some Herr floats so my Kadet will soon be flying from water...

Good luck