Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What kind of fuel is best for my engines?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What kind of fuel is best for my engines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:39 AM
nucleusbrains

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of fuel is best for my engines?

Hello again,
I have an O.S. MAX .40 LA in a Tower Hobbies Tower Trainer.40
And I am assembling a CMP CorsairF4U 50 ARF that i'm putting an SK .50 abc engine in.
What would be the best glow fuel for each ?
Thank's
Cody Patterson
Old 06-13-2007, 11:19 AM
opjose

Default RE: What kind of fuel is best for my engines?

Whatever the manual recommends.

Usually you can safely use the lowest nitro content recommended and get good performance.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:29 AM
scratchonly

I like omega 15%; never had a fuel problem.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:38 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any decent 15% nitro will be just fine. I've been using S&W 15% nitro for several years now on all the planes shown below and it works just fine. The brand is irrelavent. I just happen to use S&W because that's what the LHS was selling. Everyone has an opinion on the brand of fuel.. thunder power, omega, and as in my case, S&W... but as I said, any good brand of 15% nitro will do just fine.

In addition to the ones shown below, I also have a Goldberg Wildstick 40 with an OS 46 SX, a Hobbico Super Star trainer that I bought for the club to use as a club trainer, this also has an OS 46 SX. I also am building a Sig Something Extra kit, which will be powered by an OS 50 SX, and am just about finished building a Seagull Super Star 3D'er ARF and that has an OS 1.60 on board. All will use the same fuel.

In fact, I won two gallons of Thunder Power 15% that I will use when I run out of the S&W that I have been using. It just doesn't matter all that much.

Whatever runs good... use it.

DS.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:19 PM
dwilt72

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Any decent 15% nitro will be just fine. I've been using S&W 15% nitro for several years now on all the planes shown below and it works just fine. The brand is irrelavent. I just happen to use S&W because that's what the LHS was selling. Everyone has an opinion on the brand of fuel.. thunder power, omega, and as in my case, S&W... but as I said, any good brand of 15% nitro will do just fine.

DS.
I just bought my first glow plane and will be putting it together this weekend. What is the significance of the 15%?
Old 06-13-2007, 03:43 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Nitro does two things. Firstly it gives you more power. Secondly it makes the engine easier to tune I.E. the needle seting will be less critical. For a 40 LA 15% is about the sweet spot. I am not familiar with the other engine.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Trollmaster

I use 15% Omega on all my engines.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:39 PM
bigedmustafa

The .40 LA would benefit from added castor oil. It will run OK with 80/20 synthetic castor blended lubrication, but extra castor oil would help float the crank shaft inside the bushings and the engine will actually produce slightly better compression and more power with an all castor lubrication package.

The ideal fuel for a 2-stroke with bushings instead of ball bearings is 10% to 15% Nitro and 20% pure castor oil for lubrication. Folks who don't like the O.S. Max LA series have probably never tried running them with the proper fuel. This mix is also recommended for the Thunder Tiger GP series and K&B Sportster series of glow engines.

The Kangke SK .50A should be a little more flexible with regard to lubrication, and should run fine on most any sport fuel that meets the manufacturer's recommendations for basic nitro range and minimum oil content.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:48 PM
downunder

Oh oh...here's a can of worms . The best fuel for your LA will have about 22% all castor because of the plain bearing. "Best" in this case means getting the maximum possible life out of the bushing which would likely be far longer than you'll ever use the engine, maybe a couple of piston/liner sets. A blend of synthetic and castor will work ok but the more castor the better. This same fuel will work fine in your ABC engine as well if you only want to have one fuel container or go by what bigedmustafa said as regards oil.

Nitro isn't necessary and both engines will work fine without it. It's got some advantages though, mainly making the needles easier to set and be a bit more forgiving if you don't set them just right but at the expense of higher fuel consumption (shorter flights) and more expensive fuel. If you need nitro for the small amount of extra power it gives then it means your engine isn't matched to the plane (flame suit on ).

Old 06-13-2007, 10:58 PM
dwilt72

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

The .40 LA would benefit from added castor oil. It will run OK with 80/20 synthetic castor blended lubrication, but extra castor oil would help float the crank shaft inside the bushings and the engine will actually produce slightly better compression and more power with an all castor lubrication package.

The ideal fuel for a 2-stroke with bushings instead of ball bearings is 10% to 15% Nitro and 20% pure castor oil for lubrication. Folks who don't like the O.S. Max LA series have probably never tried running them with the proper fuel. This mix is also recommended for the Thunder Tiger GP series and K&B Sportster series of glow engines.

The Kangke SK .50A should be a little more flexible with regard to lubrication, and should run fine on most any sport fuel that meets the manufacturer's recommendations for basic nitro range and minimum oil content.
Does this also apply to the OS .46 LA?

Old 06-14-2007, 12:12 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dwilt72

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

Does this also apply to the OS .46 LA?

The OS 46 LA is the same engine as the LA 40 - only with a slightly larger piston/cylinder bore. Yes, any bushed ABC or ABN (such as the LA series) should be run on 10%-15% nitro and at least 20% oil. The oil should be a 50/50 mix of castor and synthetic although all castor would protect the motor better. All synthetic is probably not recommended. The engine will run on it but won't last very long.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:37 PM
bigedmustafa

PipeMajor makes a good point in that 50/50 synthetic and castor blended fuel makes a good compromise for bushing engines. All castor lubrication fuel is difficult to find in this day and age.

Interestingly enough, I have a gallon of 5% nitro 23% blended lubrication Ducted Fan engine fuel on my flight box right now. I got two bottles in a case I bought at our club auction last fall, so I figured I may as well try and run it.

I flew an O.S. Max .46 FX and a .46 FXi both on Saturday. All I had to do was richen up the low and high speed needles both slightly to compensate for less nitro and extra oil. Both engines tuned right in and ran great on the ducted fan fuel.

If you're flying trainers or sport planes and you're not flying 3D, give the low nitro fuel a try. You can save a few bucks, run your engine at cooler temperatures, and not notice an appreciable difference in performance.