Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Help with fuel

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Help with fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Murdoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with fuel

Hey xD
Since I have been most into electric flight, I need some help with these fuel powered planes!
The guy at my lhs recomend me to use byron 16% nitro and 20% oil mixture.
Is that a good all round fuel? For my 2stroke engines
I allready have one gallon of that mix you see..
Old 06-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Fastsky

Default RE: Help with fuel

The 20% oil is good and suggested by the engine man. but 16% nitro is a little high. 10% is considered a good standard. More than that in most cases really doesn't give you any more noticeable power, it just causes the engine to run hotter and isn't worth the extra $$. [8D]
Old 06-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Murdoc

I see =)
But will it be stupid off me to use that gallon with that mix?
As long as it doesen"t burn up my engine, I"m happy
Old 06-13-2007, 07:40 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Murdoc you will be fine, Just make sure you tune to a slightly rich setting. And yes Byrons is a very
reputable name in model engine fuel.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:45 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Chris said, (overbored), Byrons is a good reputable and reliable fuel. We, just about all of us here in our club anyway, use 15% nitro and most fuels come standard with a 20% lubricant mix.. often turbine oil and castor oil mix. What is more important here is not the nitro mix but the lubricant mix. A good reliable mix is 20% and should not be less than that. More than that can also cause some problem with to much lubricant and poor ignition. So, that combination is a good one.

Hey, there are people here on RCU that talk about using no nitro in their methanol / lube mixture and they are flying just fine. There are a lot of factors involved here, but if your Byrons 15% nitro and 20% lube works ok, then stick with it.

DS.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Murdoc

That is so good to hear!
I was just out and started the magnum 46 for the first time, ran 2 tanks. It is a great engine and the fuel seems to be perfect!
The lowest idle ever
Old 06-14-2007, 11:20 AM
CGRetired

You will find out that, generally speaking, standard fuels will work just fine with most applications. There are some exceptions. Some prefer the higher nitro content and have good reasons for that (some Heli flyers, some pattern folks, and so on) but for general sport flying, you can't go wrong with what you have.

Add nitro, price goes up accordingly. Some of that stuff is outrageously priced. I normally pay about $11.00 per gallon or so for my fuel and it works out just fine, S&W 15% nitro with 20% mixed castor/turbine oil.

DS.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:48 AM
DR.B.S.

Looks like you got some really sound advice here. The nitro content for a .46 engine can be up to 15% without any problems. Although the higher the nitro the hotter the burn. 5% works pretty good also. Some places in Europe wont let them burn any nitro and that works also, hence the spike in electrics in the past 10 years.
I cant speak for any other fuel but I know for a fact that Morgan fuels do not require you to use any additives or after run products, it's all in there. As a matter of fact they tell you on the bottle not to use any after run products while using there fuel. I was given 2 bottles of the Byron brand fuel this year, 15%. I have been using it in my heli's and airplanes from .36 2 strokes to my G-2300 and all points in between. I have a lot of planes and 2 and 4 stroke engines. This fuel seems to be very good, I like it but it does run a little hotter so I added a tea spoon of castor oil from SIG to my last gallon and it seems to cool thing down a bit. I usually run 5 to 10% Morgan fuel but hey it was free and it is good stuff.
Have a blast this summer and be safe.
Happy Landings,
The Doc
Old 06-15-2007, 06:58 AM
CGRetired

Also, keep in mind that changes in nitro content will change engine timing. I don't recall what direction it goes.. hotter advances or retards.. not sure, but it does change timing. Because the fuel burns faster, it will ignite earlier which is similar to changing the timing. This can and will effect both engine heat and performance. Sometimes, in a good way, other times in a bad way.

Best to stick with what the manufacturer recommends, or get what you can and see how it performs, and stick with what does the best job for you.

DS.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:20 AM
DR.B.S.

Higher nitro content that burns hotter will require you to richen your engine sometime's on the low speed too. to do this you will need to turn your needle valves out a quarter turn at a time until its satisfactory. If it is a air bleed carburetor the low speed (idle) works in reverse. Another words turn it in to richen as opposed to out. So to lean out a non air bleed carb you should turn it in.
Most manufacturer's suggest you use 15% to break in and generally run 10%. Unless your doing high impact flying there really is no need to go beyond 10% but hey the higher the impact the higher the heart rate, lol. But you can get some really good sky with 5 and 10%. Hope this helps you remember.
Happy landings,
The Doc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OS .91 2 and 4 stroke, 2 a piece, G-2300, OS FS 70, FL 70, OS AX .46, OS 35, TTR .46, Super Tiger .45, Webra .61, TTR-.36 Evolution .46 Evolution Training system, Enya .40, TTR .61, OS LA Blue and Natural .46 and .40's and I know I am forgetting other's but I think you know what I mean.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Murdoc

Wow, I didn"t know any of that
I just got home from the field, and the engine is performing great so far.
Ripped out the landing gear, put it down to fast. But a great day! The airplane is now repaired and ready for some flying again
Old 06-15-2007, 08:17 PM
DR.B.S.

Any time I can be of assistance to you please feel free to contact me. I love to help people with this great Hobby/ sport. So please don't hesitate to e-mail me anytime with any question. If I don't know the answer I will make it up, lol. No seriously I have many resources to draw from and I will get the correct information to help you solve your aero-modeling needs.
Flare on them thare landings.
Happy Landings,
The Doc
Old 06-15-2007, 08:58 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: DR.B.S.
Most manufacturer's suggest you use 15% to break in and generally run 10%. The Doc
You wouldn't want to tell me a few that say this would you? I don't seem to recall ever seeing it said this way before.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:06 PM
DR.B.S.

OS .91 2 and 4 stroke. But please feel free to pass on your knowledge that you have. I am not to proud to admit that I am wrong and if I am please let me know. I will respect your opinion. Knowledge is something to be passed on. There is not one person that knows everything or even close to that about any one thing.
Your knowledge is valued and needed so please jump on in. By the way, I didn't mean most just been a long day at the shop and field.
Happy landings,
The Doc
Old 06-15-2007, 09:53 PM
downunder

Nitro isn't necessary when running in an engine especially for a ringed engine that needs quite a bit of bench running because it's a waste of money. An ABC type runs in much quicker (well enough to go flying anyway) so you might as well use whatever fuel you're going to fly with. The one thing you have to remember with nitro is that if you change the % used then you must retune because the higher the % the more the needle must be opened. This means shorter flights on the same tank. It's not because the nitro burns hotter, it's because of the air/fuel ratio it needs to burn properly because it's way different to what methanol by itself needs.

Nitro isn't used much outside of America purely because of cost. I've never used it because it doesn't give me any benefit.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:14 PM
DR.B.S.

[quote]ORIGINAL: DR.B.S.

Although the higher the nitro the hotter the burn. 5% works pretty good also. Some places in Europe wont let them burn any nitro and that works also, hence the spike in electrics in the past 10 years.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

Yes earlier in the thread I gave this non-politically correct inference . I belive it is similar. Turning your needle valve's out (retards) richens the burn. Some feel it is better for a number of reasons. Do you know what they are? Turning the high and low speed valve in/ closing, leans it out or makes it run hotter. Some say this is bad for a engine, do you know why?
I love nitro. I can't sleep eat or breath without it. It makes my day sunny and bright but that's just me. So have nice good flight's with or without. It's up to the individual.
Happy landings,
The Doc
Old 06-16-2007, 02:04 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: Murdoc
That is so good to hear!
I was just out and started the magnum 46 for the first time, ran 2 tanks. It is a great engine and the fuel seems to be perfect!
The lowest idle ever.
If you do not have it, the Magnum 46 manual can be downloaded from
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/210756.asp
Fuel recommendation is on page 3. They actually recommend 10% nitro for break-in and 10 or 15% after that. Even though it is not their recommended break-in fuel, the fuel you have should be fine. Byron’s is a quality product. Just avoid running the engine really lean to avoid overheating.

In the US, nitro is ‘relatively cheap’ so we tend to run a lot of it. The fuel companies are smart. They promote nitro as the best way to make our engines reliable and easy to tune. The more nitro we run, the richer we have to set the needles. That means we burn more fuel and give them more money.