Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Paint and primers?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Paint and primers?

Old 06-27-2007, 08:05 AM
Geardaddys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint and primers?

Hey folks..I've been building some home made floats for an electric j3.. Anyway, I'm almost to the stage where I'm ready to paint the floats.. I bought a can of top flite lustercoat (cub yellow) so that the floats will match the monocote covering.. Anyway, the can says that you "should" use the topflite primer as some other brands may not work with the paint.. Anyone have any good experience with other types of primer? Basically I don't want to drive 30 minutes to the LHS and spend 10 bucks on a can of "special" primer if some other brand will work just as well!! Thanks for any advice!

John..
Old 06-27-2007, 02:23 PM
MadScientist

Default RE: Paint and primers?

Try the primer and paint combo you have out on a scrap piece of whatever you built the floats with.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:59 PM
DaveB

Default RE: Paint and primers?

I realize you already bought Lustercoat, but you may want to consider buying a can of Rustoleum primer and Rustoleum aluminum or maybe gray. Typically floats aren't necessarily the same color as the plane anyhow. You could probably buy the 2 cans of Rustoleum for about $ 8.00. Just a thought.

DaveB