Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Need advice on Futaba Rx + starting out >

Need advice on Futaba Rx + starting out

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need advice on Futaba Rx + starting out

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on Futaba Rx + starting out

Hi everyone,

I joined this site a long time ago, but never got into the hobby... until now. I just bought a Tower Trainer 40 with a GP .42 and a Futaba 4 channel Tx and 7 channel Rx.

It came today, and I haven't received the glow fuel, ignitor, and pump that I ordered, so I tried to test out the radio. And, I'm getting nothing.

The plane's receiver was set to 'on' when it arrived, I'm thinking the battery is probably dead, but I was kind of scared for a second because at first I plugged the male aileron cable into the female 'charger' without having looked at the labels. What kind of damage would plugging the battery into one of the servo outputs (or the charger itself, for that matter) do to the receiver?

I'm hoping to find a local AMA chartered club to learn at, but if I can't, I'm going to have to go it alone. Any tips as far as that goes? I have thousands of hours in various simulators over the past few years, and I've actually even flown a plane once, but the only radio controlled experience I've had was a little electric polyhedral I once flew. Is there any chance for success if I just take it slow?

Thanks,
-Tony
Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 PM

Default RE: Need advice on Futaba Rx + starting out

The plane's receiver was set to 'on' when it arrived, I'm thinking the battery is probably dead,

uh yea i think its safe to say the rx battery is dead! as for plugging in the connectors wrong, im not too sure. still new to the hobby too! but ive never seen exclusive warnings not to, but i could be wrong. (most mfrs write out their warnings and discretions as if they sold the product to 4 year olds- but i cant blame em!) im sure someone else can relate for ya!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:22 PM

Also, I just noticed that the Rx light on the power adapter doesn't come on when it's plugged in. I'm at a loss for what this might be. It's really pissing me off that I've hit a wall this early on- I already ordered all this stuff, and the radio might not even work
Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 23rd_Fox

Hi everyone,

I joined this site a long time ago, but never got into the hobby... until now. I just bought a Tower Trainer 40 with a GP .42 and a Futaba 4 channel Tx and 7 channel Rx.

It came today, and I haven't received the glow fuel, ignitor, and pump that I ordered, so I tried to test out the radio. And, I'm getting nothing.

The plane's receiver was set to 'on' when it arrived, I'm thinking the battery is probably dead, but I was kind of scared for a second because at first I plugged the male aileron cable into the female 'charger' without having looked at the labels. What kind of damage would plugging the battery into one of the servo outputs (or the charger itself, for that matter) do to the receiver?

I'm hoping to find a local AMA chartered club to learn at, but if I can't, I'm going to have to go it alone. Any tips as far as that goes? I have thousands of hours in various simulators over the past few years, and I've actually even flown a plane once, but the only radio controlled experience I've had was a little electric polyhedral I once flew. Is there any chance for success if I just take it slow?

Thanks,
-Tony
OK, the battery is dead. Charge the TX and RX for @ 16 hours the first time. After that just charge overnight the night before flying unless you accidentally leave it on. In that case, do the long charge again.

Plugging battery into the servo? Not smart but won't hurt a thing with standard 4 cell batteries and standard servos. Charger voltage is a bit high but the servo loads it down quickly so there is no harm. Don't make a habit of it.

The battery can actually be plugged into ANY servo port or the BATT port as they are all connected together within the RX anyway via the power "bus".

No harm - no foul. Now sit down and read the manuals like you should have in the first place and count yourself lucky this time.[:@]
Old 06-27-2007, 09:30 PM

Also, I just noticed that the Rx light on the power adapter doesn't come on when it's plugged in. I'm at a loss for what this might be. It's really pissing me off that I've hit a wall this early on- I already ordered all this stuff, and the radio might not even work
This light will only go on if there is a good connection and the switch is "off".
Old 06-27-2007, 09:31 PM

If all else fails you can plug the battery directly into the charger lead.

BTW - give us your mail zip code
Old 06-27-2007, 09:53 PM

Hi again,

Wish my seller had sent the manuals along, all I got was the trainer, and for god knows what reason, an electric starter (which I think I'm going to sell. Why would I need a 12v source as a beginner?)

Anyway, I live in 07853, in NJ
Old 06-27-2007, 10:00 PM

Ooh, it's charging now that I flipped the switch to off. Cool, I hope it's still good

I'll let you know if I can get it talking once it's charged.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:01 PM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

What model Futaba radio is it??

Ken
Old 06-27-2007, 10:09 PM

Hi again,

Wish my seller had sent the manuals along, all I got was the trainer, and for god knows what reason, an electric starter (which I think I'm going to sell. Why would I need a 12v source as a beginner?)

Anyway, I live in 07853, in NJ
I'd keep the starter. It makes starting the engine a lot easier, especially for a beginner.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXL370&P=ML would be a good battery.
Give me the exact model of the radio and I'll provide a link to the manual.
Manual for the plane if it is the ARF version http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...1110manual.pdf
Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 PM

Much obliged, Bruce- I appreciate the link, because I'd searched for it before and didn't find it.

The radio's a 4VF, though I did manage to find it.

I'll test it out tomorrow after work; hopefully I'll get a response from the receiver.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:26 AM

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx shows 15 AMA clubs within 25 miles of your zip code. Actually, these are the contact people and the actual club locations may vary. Check out the list.