Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

"Y" Connector Question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

"Y" Connector Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:40 AM
Bluesun9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Y" Connector Question

Hi All;

Being new to all this, I was wondering if someone could explain to me just how a "Y" connector works when used with two servos controlling the ailerons? Thanks for any help.

Bluesun9...
Old 06-29-2007, 08:00 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: "Y" Connector Question

Bluesun9,
Refer to the attached diagram. When you have a single aileron servo the ailerons are connected to each side of the servo. When you move the servo on aileron will move up, while the other one moves the opposite direction and moves down. When you connect two servos using a Y-harness both servos will move in the same direction. You connect the ailerons to the servos so that they are either both on the inside of the servo or both on the outside of the servo. Now when you move the servo one aileron will move up and the other will move down, just like it did when you have just one servo.

Hope this helps

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37249.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	713470  
Old 06-29-2007, 08:01 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Simple - Instead of plugging a servo into one slot in the Rx, you plug two servos into a Y cord, and plug the Y cord into one slot in the Rx.

It's sort of like having an extension cord that you can plug 2 appliances into
Old 06-29-2007, 08:01 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

You connect each servo into the female Y end and then plug the male Y end into the rx. Both servos react equally. You have to connect the control rods to opposite sides of the servo arm in order to get a reversed throws.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:04 AM
Gringo Flyer

I hate it when that happens... while I was answering the post two other folks beat me to it.

RCKen even had a graphic! I guess thats why those guys get paid big bucks to moderate
Old 06-29-2007, 08:06 AM
MinnFlyer

Ditto (And he even used one of MY graphics!)
Old 06-29-2007, 08:24 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wiring diagram.

The single connector on the left plugs into the RX aileron channel (can also work if you have two elevator servo's in use) and each of the other connectors on the right go the each of the aileron (or elevator) servo's. I used Airtronics with the blue signal lead for this example. Note that all connectors are the same size, not as shown. The picture explodes out the single connector just to show the wires inside the connector.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43590.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	713478  
Old 06-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Bluesun9

Thanks Ken, I am afraid I over looked the servo arm placement, I feel kinda dumb right now ).

Thanks to everyone else for the help as well.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Gringo Flyer

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Ditto (And he even used one of MY graphics!)
I thought it was one of yours... can we say copyright infringement!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:32 AM
MinnFlyer

Nope.

I give RCU the copyright to all of the images I have created for this site. And Ken has my full collection to post as needed.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Cyclic_ Hardover

My version of it is this. One servo generally controls both ailerons. If you have separate servos , one for each aileron hook up to a Y cord, their is no benefit any more than the single.

Most usually ise separate channels, plugging in the right aileron to chan 1 and the left to ch 6. then you can adjust them separately along with all the mixing and such.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:41 AM
CGRetired

This is true, however, if you don't need all that adjustment but want the torque of one servo per aileron, AND if you run out of channels on the RX, then you are really gonna have to use the Y cable and one RX channel.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:41 AM
bruce88123

CGRetired - What? No ground wire?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:42 AM
CGRetired

yeah.. the black color coded one..
Old 06-29-2007, 12:38 PM
bruce88123

Oh, ground power.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:57 PM
gilbertfh
My Feedback: (5)

HUH??? The only benefits to having only one servo that I can think of are reduced cost and weight. Having two servos reduces aileron flex, allows you to maintain a better angle between the servo arm and control horn on the aileron, double torque with standard servos, plus you can access the servo arms for quick and easy adjustments without having to remove the wing.

ORIGINAL: Cyclic_ Hardover

My version of it is this. One servo generally controls both ailerons. If you have separate servos , one for each aileron hook up to a Y cord, their is no benefit any more than the single.

Most usually ise separate channels, plugging in the right aileron to chan 1 and the left to ch 6. then you can adjust them separately along with all the mixing and such.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:38 AM
MinnFlyer

Since the original post starts,"Being new to all this" it's easy to assume that the original poster is a beginner.

For advanced models it's nice to have some extra torque on the ailerons. Fir 3-D models it's a must.

But for a trainer, intermediate trainer, or your average sport plane? Just one servo is more than enough
Old 06-30-2007, 09:17 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

You know Minn it's funny how we tend to overdo things now days. I still have one of the first Goldberg Suhkio kits that came out. That must have been 10-12 years ago. It flew for the first 5 or so years with standard servos. It even had a Sony handycam strapped to it at one time. Again with one standard elev servo. Now days people would think I was nuts to fly it that way. Back then it was the norm.

David
Old 06-30-2007, 04:21 PM
gilbertfh

All that is true but saying "There is no benefit to having more than the single" is very broad and untrue. One servo does work and there is no denying that but two servos does work better as long as weight is not an issue.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:14 PM
CGRetired

Beginners learn from what we say on RCU. They read what we have done, and from that, most of them understand that a lot of this is done through experementation, trial and error. I would hope that they would work within thier budgets and limitations, then get the most out of what they fly.

I know that I have modified some things on my planes based on what I have read here, and from what friends at the field have explained, demonstrated, and, unfortunately, have not succeeded with. And we benefit from that and try to pass it on to others, at the field, within our clubs, and here on RCU.

So, with that said, most of us will go ahead and pass on information that will, hopefully, help someone else benefit from both our sucesses and our failures.

DS.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:49 PM
vmsguy

I think this thread has morphed into a "When and why use two servos instead of one." discussion.

I'll throw out some reasons.. Feel free to add or argue as the spirit moves you...

1. Physical/mechanical limitations. The configuration of the aircraft may be such that 1 centrally located servo is impractical. Two servos mounted separately may be better, physically/mechanically.

2. Performance. Multiple servos multiply the mechanical work being done. The aileron, or rudder, or elevator, may be too large for one servo to adequately control. Multiple servos multiply the mechanical force applied the control surface.

3. Build/mod simplicity. I'm using this one. In the case of my LT-40. I didn't like all the mechanical... "stuff" going on trying to make torque rods work with the ailerons. Trying to hinge the wings, and hinge the torque rods, get everything right.. I felt I needed extra hands. By taking torque rods and central servo out of the mix, modification/building is simpler, and easier.. at least for me.

4. Just 'cause. No other reason then "I want to." And heck.. This is supposed to be fun isn't it?? So this is a perfectly good reason. Maybe the best one of all.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:17 AM
MinnFlyer

All good points.

If anyone WANTS to use two servos, go right ahead. I'm just saying that it's rarely necessary.

Like Dave said (And I whole-heartedly agree) "Way back when" we wouldn't have dreamed of using two servos for ailerons.

In fact, about 5 years ago, I built a Sig 1/4 Scale Cub. The design looked like it was from the 70's (It showed Kraft Servos) and even on that BIG plane, they showed a single aileron servo mounted in the center.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:18 AM
CGRetired

I had three planes with torque arms and a single servo. One of them, the place on the wing where the tube passes through that contains the torque arm, somehow got oblong and the whole arm started to wobble on one side causing that side to have quite a bit of slop in the aileron movement. I rectified that by using two servo's and eliminated the torque arm setup.

Since then, all except for the Hobbico Super Star RTF trainer that I bought as a club trainer, I've just opted for the extra servo and let it go at that. So, I would never really know if they really needed it or not, they just had that setup. It took me a little while in the assembly process (arf) but not that long, and it worked out well.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:33 PM
gilbertfh

I have only been flying a couple of years but I too have had minor problems with the glue coming loose on the torqe rods. I have never had an issue with using two servos. A lot of what we do in R/C flight is a balancing act of price/performance/weight. But in the end it is ultimately our decision and the first time we sucessfully maiden our new plane be it one aileron servo or four it is exciting.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:56 AM
CGRetired

The only problem I had with the torque arm issue is trying to repair the tube and that wobble I spoke of in an earlier reply to this post. In my case, I had applied some lubrication (some light rifle grease) to the inside of the tube, but naturally, as good lubricant will do, ia bit of it got on the outside of the torque arm tube. Then, when trying to replace the tube, well, it was very reliable. The lube eventually prevented the epoxy from really adhering to the tube and the wing trailing edge.

That's the one that I eventually 'fixed' by converting it over to two wing servo's. It was easy enough and I didn't really need high-torque servo's, so I stuck with the basic Airtronics servo at about $19.00 each, cheap enough. And it worked out just fine.