Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Do you use a log book?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Do you use a log book?

Old 07-05-2007, 06:27 PM
skeeter_ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you use a log book?

Does anyone really use a logbook for there RC planes. Why? What do you put in it.

Just wondering if i should start one!!
Old 07-05-2007, 06:42 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Do you use a log book?

I use a program designed specifically for logging the RC hobby. It's called FlightLog and it's free for download at [link]http://www.lammers.ca/FlightLog/[/link] . I started off using it in order to log everything I own for the hobby and keep track of the flights that I make. One big upside of Fllightlog is that after I started using it I found that I owned more than I thought I did and my insurance would not cover everything if I incurred a total loss. I was able to increase my coverage in order to replace everything I have. Another great benefit is that I can tell you exactly how much time and how many flights all of my planes and equipment have on them. This also helps me keep up with maintenance of my planes as well.

Check out the program and see if it might help you out.

Ken
Old 07-05-2007, 07:42 PM
VFR_RC

My grandfather and i had a short flight log on excel. It was only dates, airplane flown, flight time and events (issues, not so perfect landings, trim changes, etc). I don't keep a log anymore.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back when I was semi-serious about CL stunt, I kept a log with notes made after every flight. I learned a good deal by doing so.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Wild Foamy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive never needed to, if i have a crash or make any majour mods/changes i log it all in my RCU Blog

i have made some Squawk sheets and logbooks on Excel but never really used them
Old 07-06-2007, 07:00 PM
B.L.E.

I never used to use a logbook but started when I built a .60 size electric plane. Mostly I just want to find out how many flights a lipo really lasts and it helps me keep track of which battery I used last so that I don't use one battery more than the others.

As of now, I have 102 logged flights on the plane with 34 flights on each of the three batteries.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:46 AM
id_ram

I just started the hobby and I'm planning on doing so once I get my radio . It helps you keep track of how many hours you've flow.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:12 AM
jetmech05

I kept a log book on a couple of planes, wanted to see how many flights were on the aircraft.
I was surprised, after almost 2 1/2 years on a 4 star 60 it wasn't even 200 flights.
A flight for me was leaving the pits and returning to the pits, didnt count touch and go's as some i know do.
I'd record the date, temp, winds and clouds then under that the number of this flight and what I did
I don't keep a log any more.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:46 PM
openreel36

I am looking for a logging program that I had before my computer crashed. It was specifically for RC airplanes and free for download. this is 2008 now and I was hopping that someone had come across this program.It isn't flightlog, It was something else. Flightlog doesn't leave a field for comments.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:22 PM
AstroDad

no I do not log anything.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I use a program designed specifically for logging the RC hobby. It's called FlightLog and it's free for download at [link]http://www.lammers.ca/FlightLog/[/link] . I started off using it in order to log everything I own for the hobby and keep track of the flights that I make. One big upside of Fllightlog is that after I started using it I found that I owned more than I thought I did and my insurance would not cover everything if I incurred a total loss. I was able to increase my coverage in order to replace everything I have. Another great benefit is that I can tell you exactly how much time and how many flights all of my planes and equipment have on them. This also helps me keep up with maintenance of my planes as well.

Check out the program and see if it might help you out.

Ken
Hey, I use that!! It's a great little program. I didn't realize just how many flights I put on my aircraft until I began using it a while ago.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Spacemonkey71

I always carry 2 small "journals" with me to the field, both are 6.5"x4.5" and about 1/2" thick and they easily fit into my flight box. The "red" one I keep "flying" notes (tips I pick up about landing, taking off, flight checks, setups, throws, throttle settings, and just all kind of "random" little factoids that come in handy (like which size screw fits what part; you know, all the crap you usually forget 5 minutes after you hear it )

The other is a "green" one of the same size that I log the date, time, plane, wind conditions, instructor/buddy-box, fuel %, time in the air, any "quirks" (like the engine skipping or running a little rough or a control surface not responding adequately), whether I'm using Hi or Low throws, and "general" impressions of the flight.

I picked up these little journals at the local "Dollar General" for $2 each and they're also small enough to fit into my pocket so when I visit a store, I can remember what I was supposed to look for, brand, price range, etc.... I make all kinds of "notes" in the red one based on interesting tips in magazines, this board, mfg spec sheets on some of my equipment, parts I "need to buy", parts/planes I "want" to buy (that's a LONG list [&:] ). Like I said, I write down all kinds of stuff in it; even club member's phone numbers. But the "green" one is STRICTLY for flights, conditions, and any issues that came up (or DOWN!)

Computer programs are great, but I like to sit down RIGHT after the flight, break out a pen, and take 5 minutes to make a few notes about it. Unless your laptop is a part of your flight kit, a computer program isn't going to give you that "immediate" ability to write down your "fresh impressions".
Old 08-21-2008, 11:35 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gee, I buy spiral notebooks at Wally World for a nickel. Every year the month before school starts they stock 'em.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:45 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

No-I do not use logbooks for RC airplanes, I wear a David Clark headset and pair of Ray Ban Aviators, and a B-17 bomber jacket when I fly my 40 size plane-
Old 08-21-2008, 11:59 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I kept a log on one airplane many years ago. I kept the log for about 6 months which is how long I owned the airplane. I bought the airplane second hand and it needed some work to repair mistakes made during its initial assembly. It was a Sterling Cub, a .15 size. Originally the log was intended to help diagnose some of its many problems. But I included the flight time. Long story made short, after selling the airplane I was able to calculate the cost per flight while I owned it. I forget how much it was, its been nearly 30 years. But it was something like 20 cents including fuel costs. It was an interesting expereiment.

I still keep notes on new airplanes that are going through a difficult and involved "debugging" phase. When I get home, I sit down and write down how the plane behaves. I write how the controls feel. How the throttle response is. I generally concentrate on the area giving me difficulty. I write about the effects of changes that I have made concerning the "bug" I am working on. And I write down what I think is the likely cause and the likely solution. This is handy as I might not get around to actually working on the plane again for a week or more. These notes written while the experience is still fresh in my mind are very helpful. But once I have the plane flying the way I like, and all systems are working properly, I generally discontinue any form of note keeping or log.

Everyone's mind works a little differently, I suppose. I for one can rarely imagine the most simple and eloquant solution to a problem at first glance. I prefer to think about things for a while, a day , or even several days, until the best of many possible solutions is chosen. Having some data recorded that can be referenced is priceless.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:01 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you're into any form of competition, especially where you need to keep track of more than one engine, battery pack, etc., notes are very useful.
I'm not disciplined [or care] enough to keep data about sport flying, but not a bad idea. It's all about how you want to budget your time.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:34 AM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

... It's all about how you want to budget your time.
Oh, ain't that the truth! I've seen Ken discuss this program in the past here on RCU and even downloaded it and gave it a test drive. I do not use it, however. Like Spacemonkey said earlier, there's no laptop in my flight gear box - nor do I care to bring one . I really like the "old school" idea of bringing some form of notebook to the field. I suppose you could transpose the notes into a program if you were really motovated. I do keep a log of the "big ticket" items I own (planes/engines/radios etc.) just in case...

-MA
Old 08-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Steve Steinbring

Although a necessary evil flight logs and manual updates are something that I despised when I flew full scale. Since this is a hobby I see no need to include a chore that I really don't like.

Ken,

I applaud you on our record keeping, but I really don't want to know how much I spend on this hobby.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:54 AM
RappyPilot

I keep a log of all my helicopters flights for the purposes of when I do my scheduled maintainance on my helicopters. Quite passionate keeping my Raptor 50 and 90 in peak condition.

I have never kept a log for a plane before, but for the fun of it and my curiousity of statistics decided to keep a detailed log on a new and dirt cheap Kyosho Calamto 40 Sport with the Kyosho GX 40 engine and see how long I can keep it if flying condition compared to my planes and engines that cost 5 times as much.

I record as much as I can shove into my brain on a day at the field without having to rip out a little log book and a pencil. I make notes of the date, amount of flights for that day, weather info and any changes (prop,fuel etc) fixes and modifications that I make.

Maybe I should mail my log to Kyosho once I retire the plane and they can then use it for quality control and out of their appreciation for doing such an extended test of one of their planes .... send me another plane as a thank you gift
Old 08-22-2008, 09:42 AM
hungryandbroke

I only keep track of the number of gallons of fuel I go through in a year.

Last 5 years = 100 gallons.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:35 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Iuse a note book to log general info such as fuel used, hours on engine, and anything I needed to adjust at the field. My memory is not as good as it used to be so I find myself forgetting many things if I don't write them down.
One thing I always do is use a check off sheet before the first flight of every session. I fly bips and need to use this list so as not to forget anything that may be critical when I assemble the plane at the field.
Also a list of things I need to bring to the field........... like wings, gas, small tools, radio............. laugh if you must but every week someone forgets to bring something that they later need at the field. I can't count the times guys have forgot their fuel or smoke oil or even the darn radio.
I now bring extra gas and smoke oil as can make enough profit on selling to the "forgetters" to help pay for my personal fuel use. I used to just give it to the guys, but it seemed that a couple of guys were starting to come to the field with empty tanks all the time.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:54 AM
flyX

Hey..I've gone to the field without wings

Use to keep a log when I first started but after you get a fleet going, crash a few here and there...yeah..sure I'll log crash !!!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:36 PM
TakingFlight96

I do keep a log. Since I started training, I've kept a log of each flight. In each entry I put the date, flight #, wind conditions, & what exactly I did. (landings, mock landings, figure eight, take-off, etc.) And if I feel that theirs an area that I need to work on a bit, I'll included a note on what I need to work on or practice on the sim. So, far I've logged 22 flights - but, once I solo (hopefully soon) and have a few flights, I'll probably stop logging.

TF96
Old 08-22-2008, 01:47 PM
LokiDog

I started a log as soon as I started flying, which was in May. Mainly, for education purposes. I figure if I can write it down and remember it, I will eliminate mistakes quicker. I recently got a stopwatch so I am going to start keeping a running total on engine run times also. My wife rolled her eyes when she inquired as to what I was doing.