Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Fuel on ply...how to remove before covering?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Fuel on ply...how to remove before covering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:32 PM
millerhill
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel on ply...how to remove before covering?

I just got a used Ultimate and there seems to be fuel soaked into the ply in the area where the landing gear attaches. I want to recover that area and didn't know if sealing the area with epoxy first would be a good idea, or if I should treat the area some other way first.

Steve
Old 07-12-2007, 06:56 PM
anonymouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel on ply...how to remove before covering?

Epoxy won't adhere to oily (fuel soaked) surfaces. If it is available in your state, look for a spray spot remover called KR2. It sprays on and turns to a powder that absorbs oil and fuel. It may take a couple of applications to get the area dry enough to apply one or two coats of balsarite sealer, then you can cover with some success. If you can't get KR2 try using some acetone to float the oily stuff to the surface and blot with paper towels......Both have worked for me, but KR2 is not "green" enough to be sold on the left coast...
Old 07-12-2007, 09:11 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's sold in MA, but I had a hard time finding it. I finally found it at an Ace Hardware Store a few towns away.

Also, I found out that, after applying K2R, I could run my heat gun over the affected area and make more oil rise to the surface, which I blotted up with a paper towel.

Bob
Old 07-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If K2R is not available use corn starch. Sprinkle it on the area and rub it in. Let dry and brush off and repeat.

After you have gotten out as much as you can, go over the wood with your covering iron set on high. This will bring the oil to the surface. Then repeat with K2R or corn starch.

After you have gotten as much of the oil out as possible, brush a coat of SIG "StixIt" on the area and let dry. After you apply the new covering, the ONLY way you will get the covering off is by using heat. If you try to take the covering off without heat you will pull the wood up.