Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Aileron/Rudd mixing

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Aileron/Rudd mixing

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:38 PM
AKSUMMIT8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron/Rudd mixing

What is the normal percentage of mix for a rudder with aileron deflection.
plane LT-40
radio 7Cap

Also any other recommendations for mixing
Old 08-03-2007, 06:42 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Aileron/Rudd mixing

I am not sure that there is a normal. You may want to experiment with your plane by adding 10 percent rudder into the mix and increase as needed. The LT 40 is a great flyer without the mixing you are talking about. Good Luck, Dave
Old 08-03-2007, 06:45 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

None. With an LT-40 you shouldn't be mixing rudder with the aileron in the radio at all. If you do need to add some rudder for smooth turns (which you really won't need anyway) you should just add it in yourself. With a trainer I recommend that new pilot avoid doing any mixing at all with the radio. In fact this is one of my arguements for why beginning pilots shouldn't use computer radios. They get too tempted to play with all the gadgets on the radio. For a new pilot I recommend that they learn to fly the plane, and only the plane. If you let the radio do it you will never learn to fly as you should, and you'll wind up relying on the radio from now on.

Just my 2¢ worth,

Ken
Old 08-03-2007, 06:47 PM
AKSUMMIT8

When I learned to fly with my grandather I learned on a Sig Kadet MK2, he purposely disconnected the Aileron so I had to use the ruddder. Jumping back into the Hobby, and destroying a Nexstar later, I figured I would use some of the features my Radio offered. I agree the LT-40 Flies well without it, I've never had anything outside an old Airtronics,this sport has come along way.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:57 PM
acarter

ORIGINAL: RCKen

None. With an LT-40 you shouldn't be mixing rudder with the aileron in the radio at all. If you do need to add some rudder for smooth turns (which you really won't need anyway) you should just add it in yourself. With a trainer I recommend that new pilot avoid doing any mixing at all with the radio. In fact this is one of my arguements for why beginning pilots shouldn't use computer radios. They get too tempted to play with all the gadgets on the radio. For a new pilot I recommend that they learn to fly the plane, and only the plane. If you let the radio do it you will never learn to fly as you should, and you'll wind up relying on the radio from now on.

Just my 2¢ worth,

Ken
Couldn't have said it better
Old 08-03-2007, 07:03 PM
AKSUMMIT8

Copy all of the above- Atari's,Tandy TRS-80's.Commodore 64's are all computers that work- But I would almost bet no-one post on this forum with one
Old 08-03-2007, 07:50 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't the Atari just a game? I had a TRS-80 and it wouldn't connect to the internet that did not exist yet. Pre Al Gore days, inventor of the internet.[:'(]
Old 08-03-2007, 08:27 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, all the advice not to do it has been given.

How about some advice on the question?
Whenever you want to mix, it's really a "feel your way" proposition. In almost every case, you've been doing without and introducing whatever it is, is going to be fairly safe if you start with a small amount. It takes almost no time between flights to change the amount, once you've got the + and - directions figured out. I ran three quick flight checks a couple of days ago to sort the rudder>elevator mix for an aerobatic model that had an almost evil tuck that was rudder couple. Fixed the takeoff problem where the sucker tried to ball up when rudder steering was needed. And you darn well NEED rudder steering when steering is needed taking off.

Our radios today certainly can do lots of stuff. And it's kewl to use it. For whatever reason.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:51 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Some airplanes indeed can benefit from this mix and the best case in point is any Cub with anything close to scale barn door ailerons. These airplanes tend to have excessive adverse yaw compounded by the fairly high aspect ratio agine only on a true scale long wing cub.

True can be entirely corrected by appropriate rudder use at all times. Its also true that most skilled pilots do not do this at all times even when they think or say they do.

Its also a fact that the majority of modern general aviation full scale airplanes do in fact utilize some form of mechanical aileron to rudder mix, so much for the macho factor.

AKSummit as has been said your airplane certainly does not need it, There certainly no problem with you experimenting with it If you do, program it through a switch to shut it off. The reason for this is the mix has a tendency for rolls to turn into big barrel rolls that are less axial than what many are shooting for. The idea is to progam only about 10 or 15% rudder to the ailerons, This will give just about the right throw to minimize adverse yaw. Keep in mind this will not and cannot correct for 'P' factor any time the airplane is at a high power and deck angle. This must be corrected for by hand with right rudder.

The real problem with new folks wanting to play with mixs is not Aileron to Rudder but flaperons are the real culprit here. Everyone wants to do it and any real benefit is almost none existant. They cannot be as effective as dedicicated flaps but very effectively manage to kill a lot of airplanes .

John
Old 08-04-2007, 12:35 AM
drksky1056

Wasn't the Atari just a game? I had a TRS-80 and it wouldn't connect to the internet that did not exist yet.
Actually, there were a couple of Atari PC available around the same time as the TRS-80s. Cartridge-based and hooked up to a TV, but they were computers.

Pre Al Gore days, inventor of the internet
Ok....this always grates on my nerves. It a line that's parroted by republicans who hate Gore for no other reason besides schmuck like Limbaugh told them to hate him. I'm not a great fan of his politics, but this crap about Gore claiming to have invented the internet is just that....crap. As usual...Snopes to the rescue: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Sorry for the OT rant....
Old 08-04-2007, 01:19 AM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: drksky1056

Ok....this always grates on my nerves. It a line that's parroted by republicans who hate Gore for no other reason besides schmuck like Limbaugh told them to hate him. I'm not a great fan of his politics, but this crap about Gore claiming to have invented the internet is just that....crap. As usual...Snopes to the rescue: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Sorry for the OT rant....

LOL, Get over it.

Mixing is useful for some planes, but very rarely necessary. I have never mixed, but many of my freinds, (much better flyers than I), use mixing to make life easier. The truth is that by the time you are ready for a plane and maneuvers that require mixing, you are good enough to fly without any mixing at all. Mixing just makes life easier for those who already posess the skills to fly without it.

Discussion of mixing is really not appropriate for this forum, IMHO. All beginners should fly the plane and learn to mix with the sticks before attempting computer mixes. It will make you a much better flyer later on.

I only fly gas powered aerobats and foam...never, not even when I flew glow planes, did I ever bother with computer mixing. My next plane will be professionally built and trimmed. Mixes will then be used to eliminate coupling and and make life easier for me...that's what it's for.

For we beginners, mixing may seem like a viable shortcut. It's not. Learn to fly your plane and save the mixing for when you can easily fly withou it.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:42 AM
jetmech05

if you're a beginner take rc kens advice...learn to fly with your thumbs first
Old 08-04-2007, 05:52 AM
oldman1958

Hi there,

Before you decide to mix aileron/rudder, I think you should know when fly inverted, the rudder will go to opposite direction of where you point to go. This is the reason I gave up the mixing which I originally intended to.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:45 PM
AKSUMMIT8

Thanks for all of the advice, 10% works great.