Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

multiple ni-cd battery charger

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

multiple ni-cd battery charger

Old 08-23-2007, 10:31 PM
bstussie
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default multiple ni-cd battery charger

is there a charger out there that i can use to charge multiple ni-cd batteries at the same time (4) ?

I have a accu-cyce that says it can do 1 tx and 1 rx... but i have 3 planes and 1 tx that i am interested in charging at the same time.

and one other question... can i use the tx side to charge a standard 700 mh reciever battery?

sorry if this is a dumb question, i am very new to the sport and i have searched the forums and can't see to find the answer.

thanks
Brandon

Old 08-23-2007, 10:39 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: multiple ni-cd battery charger

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=hcap0100]Hobbico R/C Multi-Charger[/link]

Ken
Old 08-24-2007, 03:12 AM
da Rock

The Accu Cycle TX/RX battery cycler/charger description says: "Adjustable cell selector, charge and discharge rates for 6-8 cell Tx batteries or 1,4 or 5 cell Rx batteries." If your RX batteries are 6 cell, they could be charged on the TX side. But if they're 4 cell and most RX batteries are, they could not be charged on the TX side as it only does 6-8 cell batteries.

The Accu Cycle Elite will charge anything on the left side that it will charge on the right.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:02 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

6 Cell RX?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:32 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use an ace multi charger that is simmilar to the hobbico,you can find them used from time to time.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 AM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

6 Cell RX?

IF your RX batteries are.................
But if they're 4 cell and most RX batteries are, they could not be charged on the TX side as it only does 6-8 cell batteries.

If they're not, then they can't be charged on the side that does 6-8 cell packs.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:20 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

The Super Brain 969 and 977 chargers can peak charge two packs at once. As Ken mentioned, the Hobbico R/C Multi-Charger can do four, but that is an "overnight" charger... only one of the outputs will go above 250mA for the charge current, and it doesn't peak detect. If you just want an overnight charger, that will work, but if you want a field charger, you'll want a higher current peak-detect charger (I field charge my packs at 400mA+, depending on the cell types).
Old 08-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Montague

I use an Ace charger that can do 6 packs at a time, from 1 to (I forget, but more than 8) cells. It's a slow charger, it runs 16hrs at the selected charge rate then drops to a trickle. I use it a lot to keep planes ready to go.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:13 AM
bstussie

Do you have a model # or link to that ace charger, i dont mind it being a overnight charger as long as it has the trickle opiton!

Old 08-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Montague

Oh, I knew you'd ask that. Ummm, here we go:

http://www.acehobby.com/ace/ACE2521.htm

Ace Super Digipulse Multi-Charger

Btw, since the charger works on a timer and has auto-trickle, I'll sometimes cheat a bit. For example, if I have a 1000mah pack that I know is about half-full, rather than charging at 100mah, I might put in 60mah, which will top off the back, and while the trickle that kicks in is a hair low, it's enough to do the job and it avoids over-charging the pack.

Oh, I forgot, one downside of this charger is that it uses some non-standard charge lead plugs. However, you can get the correct size plugs at radio shack and with a little soldering you are all set. I made up 6 RX leads by getting some long aileron extensions and doing a bit of soldering. You can also buy leads.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:18 PM
bstussie

thanks everyone for all of the great advise!