Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Tower Shipping

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Tower Shipping

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:45 AM
baja_236

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Shipping

Has anyone noticed, is Tower Hobbies taking longer to get items shipped out then normal, I ordered some stuff on Monday and notice it said delivery between sept 5th and 7th, in the past I tought i had the itmes in my hand in three days.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:08 AM
rwright142

Default RE: Tower Shipping

It must depend on what was ordered. I ordered a book from them last week and got it in 3 days. Was what you ordered in stock?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:09 AM
M. Michael Meyer

I ordered some covering from them on Saturday. They said it would be delivered by UPS ground between September 4th and 7th. I just track the shipping information and it is supposed to be here on August 31st (five business days). I think the language is there to not give the customer unrealistic expectations.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:13 AM
baja_236

Yeah, all I need was CA hinges, and a few other items i really didn't need, everything was in stock and being shipped out of champaign. In the past I have always had it in three days, I would like to fly my new ultra stick thsi weekend, however the kit/arf was 3 hinges short up what I needed, and I didn't have any excuse to drive to the hobby store, I don't consider it local when it takes 45 minutes to get there.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:15 AM
M. Michael Meyer

I live in the Houston area. It takes 45 minutes to get anywhere!
Old 08-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes when you order really small stuff and get reduced shipping prices it can take a while. Once they sent it via USPS and took forever.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Joey V.

I ordered wheel pants last Sunday night on the internet and didn't receive them until Thursday and I live in Illinois. There warehouse is in Champlain Illinois I believe. Used to take one day to get my order. Like any business they probably get busy too from time to time mabey.....
Old 08-29-2007, 10:29 AM
vmsguy

ORIGINAL: baja_236

Yeah, all I need was CA hinges, and a few other items i really didn't need, everything was in stock and being shipped out of champaign. In the past I have always had it in three days, I would like to fly my new ultra stick thsi weekend, however the kit/arf was 3 hinges short up what I needed, and I didn't have any excuse to drive to the hobby store, I don't consider it local when it takes 45 minutes to get there.

1. You didn't have extra hinges on hand?? For shame!
2. You HAD an excuse to go to the hobby store. (Honey, I didn't have hinges, and I wanted to go flying this weekend!) and you blew it!
3. Since you were going to the LHS.. you could've brought home other goodies. (It was on sale dear. I was saving money by buying in bulk. I saw this ...such-and-such.... and I just couldn't resist. You know I've been looking for ...such-and-such.... a long time, and I finally found it.)

All kidding aside. With the impending holiday, and vacations for people, I fully expect shipping/delivery dates to be unpredictable. I hope the hinges get there on time....

Old 08-29-2007, 10:40 AM
baja_236

I had just been to the LHS last friday before to pick pick up the motor, servos, props, and what ever else I needed, they don't have much in stock so they order everythign I need anyway. The ST G90 was 10 dollars cheaper through them, put the 3 servos i needed cost a dollar more a piece. For the most part the bigger items are cheaper at the LHS however the small items are cheaper through Tower, the cost of gas wipes out the shipping charges, so it comes down to can I make make an excuse to go to my works main office in the city during work hours, or am i better off just ordering on the computer and weighting for it to be delivered.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:41 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

I think the have two harehouses, one in champaign Ill and on in Nevada, I had a back order since May and checked on the status of the order after I found out they had the Itom in stock. They shipped it out last Friday by USPS and I received it on Monday.
I guess it depends on what Warehouse the Item comes from and what shipping service they use.
NEDYOB
Old 08-29-2007, 10:44 AM
baja_236

Where's northwood Iowa at? I'm from Davenport, I had an last winter and some came out of Champaign, others from Nevada, if memory serves me correctly Nevada only took two or three days.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Dr1Driver

It's a holiday weekend, people. Give'em a break. No shippers are moving Monday, ya know.

Dr.1
Old 08-29-2007, 11:24 AM
bruce88123

Where's northwood Iowa at? I'm from Davenport, I had an last winter and some came out of Champaign, others from Nevada, if memory serves me correctly Nevada only took two or three days.
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result.ph...ORTHWOOD%2C+IA
http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result.php?...IA&q3=&q4=&q5=
Old 08-29-2007, 11:42 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Thanks Bruce !
Baja, I'm 2 miles from the Minnesota border, 20 miles north of Mason City.
NEDYOB
Old 08-29-2007, 12:03 PM
carrellh

Has anyone noticed, is Tower Hobbies taking longer to get items shipped out then normal, I ordered some stuff on Monday and notice it said delivery between sept 5th and 7th, in the past I tought i had the itmes in my hand in three days.
The "estimated delivery date" has always been very conservative. From about 3 years ago.......

Order placed around noon on 01/22/2004. Copied from order confirmation...
The following items will ship from Champaign, Illinois
Estimated Arrival Date: FROM 02/03/04 TO 02/05/04

I actually received the order by 1/26 or 1/27.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:21 PM
baja_236

Dear Dr.1
The holliday isn't till this coming monday I ordered last monday, I'm just trying to figure out if I was going to recieve it by friday, No one said anything bad about Tower, I merely posted to see if shipping is slower, or as it has been pointed out they over estimate delivery time. Your the only one that posted with any attitude, so why don't you give us a break.

I also apologize to the moderators in advance for calling out another member,
Old 08-29-2007, 02:28 PM
bruce88123

Personally, I believe Dr 1 was trying to imply (perhaps poorly) that there may be a flood of orders with people trying to get "stuff" before the holiday. This could slow shipping somewaht. As for attitude, I saw none until post #16.

Ya'll have a good day.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Dr1Driver

I'm just trying to figure out if I was going to recieve it by friday,
You ordered from Tower on Monday, straight ground shipping, and you expect it by Friday? What weed are you smoking?

Your the only one that posted with any attitude, so why don't you give us a break.
Looks like the bit dog bites...

And I ain't your "Dear", that's your wife.

Dr.1

Go ahead, Moderators, pull it. I've had my say.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:24 PM
baja_236

I'm about 2 hours from Champign, that is one day shipping on ground UPS, It is being sent out of the Champaign facility, In the past I have recieved non back order items in two to three days. I still feel it was a vaild question to see if it was taking longer for Towers to get items shipped. once it hits UPS I'm fine.
Now if Bruce feels things are slower because of the holidays as far as a higher amount of orders, I can buy that however I don't feel that was the intention of the prior post, DR1 stated shipping takes longer due to the up coming holiday, the UPS truck dosen't run slower becasue of Labor day, Chrismas you can make an arquement. But not Labor day
Old 08-29-2007, 03:38 PM
baja_236

Guess what! Tower updated their website over lunch hour, my stuff was shipped today, looks like it will be here tommorrow, guess I didn't need to worry. I must be smoking the good stuff
Old 08-29-2007, 03:55 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Guess what! Tower updated their website over lunch hour, my stuff was shipped today, looks like it will be here tommorrow, guess I didn't need to worry. I must be smoking the good stuff
Lesson learned. Until you receive the shipment notice, and expected delivery date from the shipper, Tower's delivery dates are almost always worst case. They appear to be very conservative estimates of how long it'll take them to pack the items combined with how long the shipper will take to get them to you. While the shipper may not be any busier leading up to Labor Day, it's very possible that Tower's shipping dept is, hence the long estimate. But anyway, I've never had one take anywhere near as long as the initial estimate, and it looks like you're getting your stuff tomorrow...
Old 08-29-2007, 04:29 PM
P-40 DRIVER

I usaualy order my stuff over the weekend and get it on thursday. I can't complain about that, and yes thier predicted delivery dates are very conservative. I have been dealing with Tower Hobbies on and off for almost 20 years and have never had an issue.