Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Two Voltages On Battery??? >

Two Voltages On Battery???

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Two Voltages On Battery???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 02:49 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Voltages On Battery???

Hi guys,

When I go to check the voltage on my 6V 2700 mah NiMh battery I get two voltages. When I have the connector's curved part (JR Connector) looking one way I get a low voltage of 6.5V. When I flip the connector around, I get a higher voltage of 7.2V. I also used my Triton Jr. to check the voltage and I'm getting the same thing with two different voltages. Which is the right reading?
Old 09-03-2007, 02:55 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Two Voltages On Battery???

ORIGINAL: Ferocious Frankie

When I have the connector's curved part (JR Connector) looking one way I get a low voltage of 6.5V. When I flip the connector around, I get a higher voltage of 7.2V.
I am not quite sure what you mean by the "curved part". Your connector should have two wires going into it. Either a black and red or a brown and yellow (I think that's the JR standard).

Using a standard voltmeter on the battery will give you an un-loaded reading which is usually higher than the 'loaded' or the voltage under load, such as plugged into a receiver that has all the servos attached.

But, as I said, I don't quite understand what you are trying to describe by 'the curved part'. If you can take a picture of it or provide a drawing of some sort to describe what you are talking about, then we may be able to help you out.

CGr
Old 09-03-2007, 05:58 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Two Voltages On Battery???

I'm sorry about the vague description. The JR lead, which goes into the voltmeter, has a red wire and a black wire.I get one voltage with the red wire looking up (the connector is sideways) and I get another voltage with the black wire looking up. So it's flipped 180 degrees when I get the other voltage.

I just connected the charger and something interesting happened. The charger charged the battery with the red wire looking up and not with the black wire looking up. I now know how the connector should be connected because when I go to charge with the black up, the charger rejects it and does not charge. It shows some kind of weird voltage and quits.

This is now why I like Futaba "J" connectors, but no problem!

Thanks for your help!