Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

4.8V versus 6V for receiver battery?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

4.8V versus 6V for receiver battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 10:16 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(Old thread, I know). There is a lot to be said for NiCd. NiCd has an amazing shelf life. NiCd packs are dirt simple to maintain. NiCd is probably the most reliable chemistry. I have some packs that are 10 years old that still cycle well, and have nearly full capacity, self discharge rates, and internal resistances almost as good as when they were new. Of course they don't have the energy density of other chemistries, but for receiver and transmitter packs they are hard to beat.

Last edited by JPMacG; 05-28-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:39 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

JP, for the most part I agree with your post as I am an old NiCad user who recognizes many advantages NiCad has over NiMh. However, the recent advances in the manufacturing of of NiMh (such as the Eneloops and othe LSD--low self discharge) have about overcome and in many cases exceed the advantages of NiCad. Right now, I'd recommend the use of the LSD NiMh's in all transmitters over NiCad, LiPo, LiFe or dry cells for many reasons. They hold a charge as well as LiPo and are safe to charge in place and very reasonably priced plus are not ruined if you forget to turn off the transmitter.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:01 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. I have an Eneloop pack in my transmitter right now. But time will tell if it holds up as well as NiCd.