Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:11 PM
ccab17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions

I have the Futaba 4YF 4 channel radio, how long do I leave the radio and receiver batteries plugged into the wall before they are fully charged? How long do they last while fully charged?

Of the starting field box stuff, what all do I need to plug-in and charge ahead of time?

I have an OS .46AX, I have never broken it in, or turn it on. Will it work well literally starting it out of the box and be ready to fly if I have an expert tune it?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Questions

Ccab, the batteries charged on the wall wart should be charged for 15hrs before first use. After that, it is good practice to put them on the charger about 8 hours before going flying. A Nicad will not hold a full charge like an alkaline battery will, so even if your plane has set around for a couple days, it is a good idea to top it off before going flying. In use, you should get around 30 minutes of flight time, depending on the MAH (MilliAmpHours)rating of your batteries.

On the field box, if it has one of the 7Amp 12V batteries, it should hold up for a few weeks of flying every other day before needing to be charged again. If you are using a glow stick, they should hold up for a week of every other day flying, but it wouldn't hurt to top them off every couple days. The 7amp 12V gell cell battery will hold a charge for a few months in storage. The glow stick is like your receiver and transmitter batteries, the charge falls of in storage, so if you haven't flown for a while, you shoud top it off the night before you go out.

A good battery cycler would be a must in my mind. Every now and then, I cycle my batteries a couple times just to see how they are holding up. I usually use the wall wart for every day charging though. The exception is my one plane that has a 6V battery and that needs the battery cycler to charge it.

Don
Old 09-13-2007, 11:28 PM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

I agree with most everything Don just said, except that I always charge the plane and transmitter for at least 12 hours (with the wall-wart charger) the night before I'm going flying.

As for the O.S. 46 AX, they are about the best you can get for being easy to set-up and get broke-in. I always recommend O.S. for new flyers. Follow the instructions and/or have an expert set it up, run a tank of fuel through it, and you should be ready to fly!

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2007, 05:14 AM
jetmech05

Good advice here.
As far as your engine is concerned you bought a good one. there pobably won't be a lot of tuning needed out of the box.
New engines don't like to be at very high angles of attack,high degrees of roll, or be inverted. by the time you're ready for that so will your engine.
I hope you have an electric starter as it makes life so much simpler. Don't worry if you don't, but I'd make it one of my first priorites.
Good luck and welcome to the addiction
Old 09-15-2007, 09:00 PM
rlipsett

fully charged reciever batteries should last a minimum of 4 flights of about 15 minute duration. Anything longer then that and you will need a meter to be sure you have enough power for flying
Old 09-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My routine is plug it all in the evening before you go to bed and it should all be fine.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:09 AM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: ccab17

I have the Futaba 4YF 4 channel radio, how long do I leave the radio and receiver batteries plugged into the wall before they are fully charged? How long do they last while fully charged?

Of the starting field box stuff, what all do I need to plug-in and charge ahead of time?

I have an OS .46AX, I have never broken it in, or turn it on. Will it work well literally starting it out of the box and be ready to fly if I have an expert tune it?

The instructions that came with the radio give some pretty good advice about charging and length of use.
The booklet that came with the 46AX tells what you need to do to break in that engine and how to set it for it's first flights.

Men don't like to hear this, but reading the instructions is the safest way to get your answers.