Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Getting Started

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Getting Started

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 08:12 PM
MrPlow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Started

I am just getting started in r/c planes and was wondering what the best way to go is. I have been involved in r/c cars for some years now and have learned that it is not always best to get the cheapest car/accesory first. Should i start on a RTF plane or an ARF plane and get good equipment with it, which i would carry over to another plane. Any reccomendations/advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:42 PM
den1tjb

Default Getting Started

I'd recommend and ARF, as most RTFs come with sub-par radios and engines. Get a good ARF and like you said, invest in a nice radio now. Don't go crazy with computer radios just yet, but a nice airtronics/futaba 6 channel will last you more many years to come. I would suggest a mid range engine for now. You want something reliable, but don't spend hundreds on a nice OS that is going to wear out before you can really use it. Thunder Tiger makes a nice ball bearing .46 which should fit into any trainer you decide on. Good luck and welcome to the airplane side.
Ty
Old 03-24-2003, 10:30 PM
cselm
My Feedback: (17)

Default Getting Started

If you're sure that you're gonna stay in the hobby, I would suggest that you go ahead and get a 6-channel computer radio.
Practically as soon as I soloed I got myself the Futaba T6XAS - it's a great investment.
And I highly recommend the Thunder Tiger 40 or 46 Pro. Great engines.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:35 PM
MrPlow

Default Getting Started

Which ARF plane would be the best?
Old 03-24-2003, 10:48 PM
cselm
My Feedback: (17)

Default Getting Started

You can ask 100 hundred people that same question, and get 100 different answers. I personally learned on a Hobbica SuperStar, and it was a great plane. (Still is, after some severe beatings.) Almost any plane is good. Just find one you like. Among some good ones are:
Hobbico's
Hangar Nine's
Thunder Tiger's
Sig's
Midwest's
and the list goes on...
Old 03-24-2003, 10:51 PM
den1tjb

Default Getting Started

Like towelsafety said, a trainer is a trainer. Go spend a day out at the field and see what seems to be the most popular and the one that most are familiar with. Towelsafety's suggestions are a good starting place.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:58 PM
den1tjb

Default Getting Started

One more thing...the T6XA is a GREAT radio. I bought one too about 3 years after i started, and I have used it ever since. Not sure what they run for now, but when i got mine about 5 years ago, it was around the same cost as a non-computer 6 channel airtronics. Definitely look into it.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:38 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Getting Started

What are your goals in the hobby? Is is just to get instant gratification to fly and then forget it, or do you want to stick with it? If it is something you want to stick with, get a good radio and good plane and engine. I always suggest Futaba, but there are other good radios out there. Go to the field you will be flying at and see what is popular and make sure to get something you can use as a buddy box. Think down the road as to what you want to do and get a radio that will let you grow. As far as the plane goes, if you want to build, get something like an eagle 63 and build it. Its a great plane as are others. If you just want to fly, get a high wing trainer type ARF and fly that. There are a lot of good ones. I like OS engines. They run great right out of the box and last a long time. I just took an OS .46 FX out and put it on the plane and started it and flew it with no break in. Ran great and will keep running great. All my os engines have for over 25 years. If you think you are going to stick with it, get good stuff, if you are going to drop it down the road as many do, get stuff you can re-sell so you don't have to eat the whole investment. Either way, get good stuff and you will be much happier and hopefully stick with it. Its a great hobby.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:38 AM
Woodsy

Default Getting Started

I'll keep it short because this has been covered a zillion times.
And these are MY opinions so you guys put down the flame throwers.
If you dont want to build buy an ARF, any one from the major companies will fly great as will SPAD (www.spadththebone.com), or Armadillo.

for radios Hitec offers the best value for money with either the Flash5 or Laser6 being the pick of the bunch, CHECK with your local club to see if they have a buddy system for WHATEVER radio you buy.

engines my personal picks for good value ar the Thunder tiger 42 or 46 or the GMS 47, if you can aford the OS FX series buy all means get one but IMHO they are over priced as are the OS LA series
Old 03-25-2003, 04:29 PM
MrPlow

Default Getting Started

Thank you everyone. I realize how repetitive it can get with beginners asking the same questions.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:02 PM
Ghostbear

Default My 2 cents

I've been in the addiction (hobby) for just over a year and I've happily spent about two thousand dollars. I'm currently building a 4*60 as a second plane and convinced my wife to get me a Saito .91 as a Xmas present.

Of course, everyone isn't going to go that route.

My thoughts - Like was said, go to the field, see what's flying. Ask if anyone wants to sell you their old trainer. I think, that if you're serious about the addiction, you'll be wanting a sport plane by the end of the season, so don't drop a fortune on a trainer.

You can plan to move the engine and radio to the second plane, which makes getting something like an OS FX .46 more economical.

Plan for the long term, like you said in your original post, sometimes you end up spending more by going cheap. I've had many instances where I bought something low end and had to go back and get a better one. (battery charger, fuel pump, etc.)

Do a lot of research and ask a bunch of questions. Of course, since the weather is picking up, you will want to get flying pretty quick. Many clubs will offer orientation flights, or many pilots might offer you a buddy box ride on one of their planes.

You'll know when you're hooked.

If cost is a major consideration, ignore me entirely, but make that clear in your posts. There are bunches of guys who will help you get started on the real cheap (I'm just not one of them).

Tim