Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

A

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:08 PM
zbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A

Anyone know if theres a diffrents in performance,quality or reliability? Between OS .46 FX/AX or the evolution .46NT.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: A

I can't speak for the OS .46, but I can for the Evo .46. They are terrific as far a reliability. I have 3 and they are nearly trouble free. I have had only one issue and it was because of trash in the carb. I pulled the hoses off, and blew it out with a air hose and that was the end of the trouble.

I do own a OS .61 FX and it is terrific, also. Maybe a little more tempermental that the Evo .61 I have. The per formancebetween the OS .61 and the Evo .61 seems to be about the same. It's hard to tell.

Based on my experience with the Evo's, I would choose them due to the difference in price. The OS's may be a little more powerful, but I sport fly (am just past solo) and so the marginal possible difference would make no difference to me.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:41 PM
2HI2C

You will get the OS fans that will say OS is the only one to get. I have them both, OS has a track record that is a mile long & they are a top of the line engine & I have had them for years. Evolution is fairly new but they came out running hard. I have 1 - .45 Evo. 2 - .46 Evo's & 2 - .61 Evos. They are all Great engines. In my opinion they are both good engines so I think the question is how much do you want to spend .
Old 10-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Missileman

there seems to be a three way tie at the moment between OS 46AX, Evo 46NT and Thunder Tiger Pro46.
Reliability and performance out of these three are nearly identical.
Cost is an issue. OS has a rear needle but cost alot more.
Some people will buy OS simply on the name.
Evolution is the new kid on the block and so far reports have been positive.
Thunder Tiger has been around for a while and although there were quality issues in the past that seems to not be the case any more and the Pro series of engines are great performers.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Fastsky

There are issues with leaking needle valves and Evo "factory settings" that aren't even close. In some cases the slow speed idle was completely closed off!! I bought an Evo 61 to try. The engine would change setting in the air and I finally got it to run decent by replacing the carb with one from a TH 75 engine. Add that to the price of the original engine and the price of the fantastic running OS FX/AX engine is a bargain!! The Thunder Tiger are also very good. Either engine in this size are very good. In the next larger size engine look at the ASP 52 Super series. Scary power output and smooth running.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Jester241

I'm gonna make an evolution .61 post,lol.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:09 PM
fozjared

i have an evo .46 that has been through more than i ever could have expected.. it came with my hobbico superstar when i first was learning to fly and i crashed that plane a total of 13 times with repairs and then stuck it on a spad that i never could get balanced out properly so i finally drove it in to pavement and then once on my new h9 cessna it went straight in when my stupid L bend didnt hold on the elevator servo, it popped loose and the plane went straight in at high speeds.. each time i took a blow gun hooked to a compressor and just blew it off and the carb out and repaired the plane and slapped it back on there and dogged the crap out of it with 15% nitro.. so i have had an amazing experience with evolution