Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

YAK 54 Crash during maiden flight

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

YAK 54 Crash during maiden flight

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 02:39 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YAK 54 Crash during maiden flight

Zul,

The reason your plane crashed is because it stopped flying. The reason it stopped flying is because you had it severely underpropped. The prop you used is great for a 2 stroke engine on a thick wing plane such as a twist or other fun fly plane, turning around 12000 rev or more. It is completely the wrong prop to use on your 4 stroke engine and especially on your plane.

Of all the advice you have received, go back and reread all that tIANci has told you. He is totally on the mark in all his commentary. Do what he said. Good luck with your plane, second time around.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:31 PM
zul_cessna

Thanks to Al & Jim, but here I have 2 choice only, whether to go for 13 x 6N or 13 x 4W because I couldn't find the standard 13 x 6 prop. Any suggestion Jim ?
Old 12-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Avalanche2

For what its worth here is a prop chart [link]http://www.greenmountainrcers.org/?p=propSizing[/link]... It doesn't get into 3-D (I don't think) but for newbies like myself it helps... If anyone has or knows of a better chart please post it...
Old 12-05-2007, 02:42 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

If I am following this thread right, you are now running a .70? Either of those props should work, try them both to see which you like better.

Good luck.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI...

When an aerobatic airplane is flying slowly NEVER use the ailerons to correct roll tendancy. If the wing is close to stalling, adding aileron will cause the wing to stall. The resulting stall will cause the bank to the side to STEEPEN. Use the rudder in instances like this.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:37 PM
zul_cessna

Thank for you guys advice and taughts, I have fixed it with 13 x 4W but havent got a time to fly it yet. Jim, I'm using Saito .72 now
Old 12-09-2007, 10:41 PM
zul_cessna

My YAK54 has had its second maiden flight yesterday with 13x4W prop, it flown very precise. But it landed with dead stick and caused the landing gear mount broken, thank god no other thing break. When I check, I can only see empty tank. I quite surprise because I was about 5-7 minute on the air only. My main needle was at 3 opening with std 30cc tank. I may need to set at 2 turn open otherwise change to bigger tank.