Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Radio Suggestions

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Radio Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:21 PM
CamoCrazy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Suggestions

What is a good radio for a beginner in the airplane field? I want something that is expandable channel wise down the road. I am into large scale war birds including twin engine planes. I have a lot of experience with cars and boats but I am starting to get bored with it and want to fly Thanks in advance......

Jerry
Old 10-31-2007, 07:28 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Radio Suggestions

JR 9303 2.4 ghz would be a good choice, you will need the features if you get into big iron and twins.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:42 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

It's tough to beat the deal at http://www.hobbypeople.net where they're selling the Airtronics RD6000 transmitter with receiver for $99.99. It's a really nice full-featured 6-channel computer radio with a lot of advanced programming and mixing features.

The upcoming Spektrum DX6i looks like a really good value at $179.99. It's a full-featured 6-channel computer radio like the RD6000, but it operates at the 2.4Ghz Spread Spectrum range.

These are two of the best values available today. Good luck and good shopping!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:02 PM
exeter_acres

at the field that you will learn to fly at...what are they flying? what does your instructor use?

If you buy brand A, and everyone at your field flies brand B...you are somewhat stuck...not completely, but it does make it harder.........
Old 10-31-2007, 09:14 PM
Capt Lou

Everyone will have a different answer for you. I like Futuba systems. They are reliable and cost effective. Get a 2.4Ghz system and determine how many channels you anticpate you will need now and into the future. The 2.4 Ghz technology is here and can only get better in terms of what the radio manufacturers bring out in total systems. The existing FM and PCM systems are good but 2.4 Ghz is where to go now.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:16 PM
A6Ordie

Jerry,

If you know this is what you want, then go for it and get a JR [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRP2910]9 channel 2.4 ghz[/link]

If you are a little hesitant, then grab a [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=JSP16000**]JR Sport 6 channel[/link] for 160 bucks

You can use the 72mhz for a buddy box later on or for a back up radio. IF you decide to go with a [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN2825]Hanger 9 Mustang PTS[/link] for your trainer then you would get the Sport radio with it.

Some guys don't like the PTS, but to each his own. With your previous R/C experience you could probably handle it just fine. You already understand the things being backwards as they are coming towards you and the like that goes with R/C.

Just one opinion among many.

Good Luck,
Old 10-31-2007, 09:34 PM
bruce88123

I just hope that you realize that large scale war birds including twin engine planes are a liitle ways down the line. FAR from being beginner or novice planes.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:51 AM
CGRetired

Big Ed: Is that DX6i for use on larger aircraft? The original DX6 was for use on park flyers only (as recommended by Spektrum and the AMA, if I recall).

I have the RD6000 and the RD8000. Both are fine radio systems, and for that price, it is an excellent buy!

CGr
Old 11-01-2007, 07:27 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CamoCrazy

What is a good radio for a beginner in the airplane field? I want something that is expandable channel wise down the road. I am into large scale war birds including twin engine planes. I have a lot of experience with cars and boats but I am starting to get bored with it and want to fly Thanks in advance......

Jerry

One of the best buys for what you want is the JR7202 Synthesized radio. It's got enough channels for warbirds and is a heck of a deal with synth. Only the most intricate planes take more channels, and then you might as well get a 9. And there isn't anything to choose from when you get to the top of any manufacturer's line. All the top of the line radios are equally excellent. And nothing but minor details of operation are different.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRP7612
Old 11-01-2007, 07:37 AM
goirish

Hey Bruce was the word Hope- Or Hop like in the beverage alcohol
Old 11-01-2007, 08:34 AM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: goirish

Hey Bruce was the word Hope- Or Hop like in the beverage alcohol
Fixed it, thanks. Typo.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:42 PM
-pkh-

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Big Ed: Is that DX6i for use on larger aircraft? The original DX6 was for use on park flyers only (as recommended by Spektrum and the AMA, if I recall)...
The DX6i is said to be full a full range DSM2 radio:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM6600

The new Eflite Blade 400 is supposed to come equipped with it:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH1400
Old 11-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Jester241

I just bought a Futaba 2.4ghz 6EX because I needed more then 4 channels......And I freakin love it. Wish I would have bought a 6 channel right from the get go. I dont think it will be anytime soon I need more than 6 channels,and if your new to flying planes.....you wont either! The regular 6 channel FM 72mhz Futaba 6EXA is fine too,but once your flying more expensive cool,lots of work planes you wont want to trust flying them without 2.4ghz.....so buy the 2.4 right off the bat. I hear of alot of "my radio just quit working" stuff from alot of crash victims flying JR and Hitec electronics. Probly just malarky,but I've been using Futabas my whole life in one form of r/c or another and never,ever,EVER had a problem or even heard of someone else complaining about them yet(knock on wood). So if its working for me,I'll never change it.

Futaba BABY......and most other stuff is interchangable with futaba,thats a plus too!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:40 PM
bigedmustafa

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Big Ed: Is that DX6i for use on larger aircraft? The original DX6 was for use on park flyers only (as recommended by Spektrum and the AMA, if I recall).

I have the RD6000 and the RD8000. Both are fine radio systems, and for that price, it is an excellent buy!

CGr
Like -pkh- said, the new DX6i will come with a full range 6-channel receiver. It's been redesigned with a large LCD screen to make programming it much easier. At $179.99, it looks like a really terrific value.

The RD8000 2.4Ghz system is due out in January for $229.99 for transmitter and receiver only. Airtronics is using a frequency hopping system and single receiver setup very similar to Futaba's. I think the RD8000 2.4Ghz could be a fantastic sport radio, as well.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:23 AM
CGRetired

Thanks, Bid Ed, (and Pkh) for the update. I went over to Horizon and read all about it. Good stuff. The Spektrum is a fine radio and I am happy they have a lower priced value available for us.

Since I am originally an Airtronics person, I will have to take a look at the new RD8000. You never have enough radio systems!!

I like the fact that everybody (Futaba, Airtronics, JR, and so on) are coming out with the new 2.4 Ghz radio systems. Something for everybody that have brand loyalty. I'll fly with anything that is in my hands, but prefer my DX7, Airtronics, Futaba (in that order )

CGr.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:30 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
The choice is easy. JR, Spectrum or Futaba 2,4GHz.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:55 PM
CamoCrazy

Lots of good info and I thank you for your input. After a lot of research from your info I will probably try a JR. I got a killer deal on the hanger 9 B-25 with the gas engines but no worry she will hang from the ceiling for awhile. I love how you can really make some of these war birds realistic with the landing gear, bombs, sliding canopy's etc and I plan to really detail one out someday. I've been training with real flight 3.5 as there are not a lot of fliers around here. I would say that I could safely fly a plane at this point. I have found that the Yak is the easiest to fly. Any way thanks again!!!!

Jerry
Old 11-03-2007, 04:55 AM
CGRetired

Good choice.

No matter what one you choose, any of those listed, and more.. you can't go wrong, especially if you stick with the 2.4 Gig systems. These will give you good performance (not that the others won't) without inteference.

CGr.