Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First day back in the air...

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First day back in the air...

Old 11-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First day back in the air...

I will be documenting my journey in the blog so kindly provided by RCU, but wanted to post this first trip here to let you guys know how I am fairing.

Todays lesson was unfortunately cut short.

The other student, a 10 year old boy named Ryan, was hoping to Solo today, so having waited this long I just watched and waited, and when asked told them to get him up. He wanted to solo on his airplane, an Eagle of unknown make with an OS 40LA on it.

Unfortunately his Eagle was not quite ready for his solo, he's some work to do to it to make it right. So the instructor, Dave, at this point switched back to the trainer he brings every time, and that Ryan had already flown on twice today.

Dave then asked Ryan to wait, and took me up for my first flight. When I said something about Ryan wanting to solo his answer was that he also wanted Ryan to solo on his own plane, so up we went.

The bird wasn't acting right from the get go, each time elevator was applied it would respond as if full throw was given, regardless the amount actually used. Dave wasn't too concerned so long as we kept it high, and wanted to see how I would do anyhow since I have some experience in the air already, to get a feel for how much instruction I need and where.

He gave me the plane, on buddy box of course, and asked me to just do gentle circles around the south end of the field. I complied, giving gentle banks to turn, but nearly every time I input ANY elevator, even just twitching the stick, the aircraft would pitch violently up. Naturally Dave decided in short order that it was time to stop, and brought the plane in over the grass to land and see what was the issue.

Turns out, the outer hinge on both ends of the elevator was loose, ending the days events.

I did however find out that not only is Dave usually out teaching every Sunday that weather allows, he has Mondays off and sometimes makes it to the field that day as well.. Just so happens that till January I too have Mondays off, so I gave him my Phone number and asked him to call anytime he can get out on a Monday that he feels up to it.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:31 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: First day back in the air...

What aircraft and engine are you using? You didn't mention that. You said something about an Eagle that someone else was flying but not your aircraft.

One more thing to check is to see if you have to much throw for the elevator. Follow the instructions in your assembly manual and put only the recommended throw (up and down movement of the elevator and ailerons, and side to side movement of the rudder) in those surfaces. To much will also cause the plane to react a bit wildly. You can set those by using the inside holes on the servo side and the outside holes on the control horn on the control surface.

CGr.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Adui

Hi CG, well Mine is a Hangar 9 Arrow, but that isn't the bird we flew. Our instructor has an old trainer he always brings to use, its nice and stable, flies ok, and he set it up so he knows the plane.

I've haven't a clue what it is, other than an older grey 4ch high wing trainer. (He related that the aircraft is 18+ years old, just updated avionics, and probably motor.)

I'm still working the final bugs out of my Arrow, before we take it out. Most likely however, I will be flying the trainer that Dave (The instructor) brings, since I have all JR and he, and everyone else in the club, are all Futaba with no one having a buddy cord that will cross over. I may spring for a buddy box but that will be three or four months from now, and only so that when I am finally competent enough I can take my son out and teach him.. When its solo time, after a checkfight and any trim needed, I will probably want to solo on my Arrow as well.

My plane just got an aileron repair, and I need to purchase a new RX battery pack. The one it had flat lined on me during testing after having been on the charger all night. (4.8 volt pack reading 2.6 volts static.. this CAN'T be good!) That and I've to finish recovering the ailerons where I pulled the mono up.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:55 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good deal and good luck,one thing to note is that anytime your plane is acting different than the last time it was flown with no changes made then land immediately to find out why.I kind of wonder why the loose hinges were not caught on the preflight as I always give the hinged surfaces a tug before assembling the plane for the day.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Adui

Actually I believe that they broke loose on one of that planes two previous flights with the other student. It would explain the roller coaster dead stick the kid did on his last flight with her.

He did real well all in all, Engine quit on a high pass, so since he was still well off the end of the runway he dropped her to landing altitude and coasted it in. As I recall, he was a bit to close to the pilot side of the runway and hit the grass after touchdown flipping the plane over. This might be where the damage occurred. Might just be they has old hinges that were ready to go LOL.. Either way, the plane still in tact, i got to handle the sticks, even if for only a very short period, and I have my instructor!

On another note.. Finished up the repairs to my wing and re-centered the control rods to the aileron.. Somehow I managed to get the throws so out of whack while working on it that both ailerons showed up angle with the servo centered.. I checked weverything over carefully, then made the adjustments to recenter the controls correctly..
Old 11-05-2007, 04:02 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to RC flying.
You an buy a JR to Futaba cord and not have to have a separate radio. Some clubs provide that or check tower hobbies or you LHS(local hobby shop)